The War of the Master Element [fan fic] Prologue

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zamoon

The War of the Master Element [fan fic] Prologue

Post by Zamoon »

Prologue of the fanfiction "War of the Master Element"
Written by Zamoon (Kevin)

Two powerful races fight for a weapon whom can destroy armies and shatter kings. Who would win?

DISCLAIMER

When reading this story, there might be a few things that you may need to be wary of. I’m putting these in bullet-points because I feel lazy today.
-This story may not be that accurate to the main lore. Sorry if that makes some of you “uncomfortable”
-I am not too great with grammar. Don't expect to see amazing English here.
-Errors may be found here, such as spelling.
-If someone makes this into a campaign, that would be AWESOME
-Please note this story may contain offensive language.
That is pretty much all of the disclaimers. I hope you enjoy this story.

PROLOGUE

It was yet another dark night in the deep chasm. The chasm was guarded by elvish warriors, some of the most skilled elves in Wesnoth for what they protect is power which can destroy empires. The elves were wary, but exhausted. They have been spending most of their lives standing in the deep dungeon, guarding the Master Element. The Master Element is a power which even the wisest would desire. It was a large, red gem, adorned of sapphire gems and set on a golden staff. The weapon was even stronger than the Scepter of Fire. Myths went around Wesnoth that the staff had the power to eradicate armies, and shatter kings from their thrones.

The dungeon had hundreds of elves protecting the gem. Some were marksmen set on tall posts, while champions carefully looked after the staff which was kept inside of a large iron sphere. The sphere was thick, only something with ridiculous force can break it open. Thus, like any ordinary day, nothing much happened. A few harmless bats may have flew past the chasm, but other than that, the days were almost silent. The chasm was well hidden in the deep forest above.

The tired guards decided to take a rest. The guards sat down, took off their heavy armour, and put down their weapons. They started to socialize, and eat. The guards did not have much, only barrels of water, wine, along with bread. The bread didn't taste pleasant, but was very nourishing. It would be another five days until more supplies were to be sent. The subject of the elves socialization was pretty absurd. They talked about crows, hats and the amount of kills they managed to get with their swords.

“When was the last time did your sword managed to drink the blood of an orc?” An elvish guard asked another. “I have not fought for a good fifty years!”

“Heck! We probably would not be fighting for another hundred years, as long as the treaty for the Master Element is not broken!” Another elf snorted. “My sword needs some kills, it is still sharp as a leaf!”

“When was the last time you saw a crow fly? I have not seen one of about eighty years!” An archer added, stringing her bow. “I always wanted to see the light of day.”

“Well, remember!” Eldror, the leader of the guards spoke, with a hinting smile. “We were sent here to protect a weapon which can destroy the world! Why dont you feel proud?” The other elves looked at each other, nodding.

“Wait!” A druid started to notice something, as her ears were twitching a bit. “I hear something, it sounds like a dwarf!”

“Dwarves!” Eldor screamed. “Defensive positions! Go to your posts!” The guards scurried around, running wildly. They were barely prepared. Eldor proceeded to the massive gates of the stronghold. “Who are you?” Eldor yelled in the front of the gates. “Friend or foe?”

Suddenly, the doors burst open with fire and smoke. The flames engulfed Eldor, killing him instantly. The marksmen stood at their posts, stretching out their bows. While that happened, the infantry guards pointed their massive swords at the gates, as if they were pikes. As the smog cleared, it was too late. A squad of elite dwarves charged in, toppling over the elves like cardboard, and repelled the arrows with their towering shields.

The elves were no match for the dwarves who were clad in thick steel. On the other side, an arrow whizzed by, killing another guard. A band of humans charged though the other side, coming from a small hatch. Their spears and swords clashed over the unmatched guards, who struggled to protect the master element. The elves tried to retreat, but there was nowhere to run. They tried to take cover, but they could not hide. The humans and dwarves checked very corner, and every pothole in the stronghold.

Now, with all the elves slain, the dwarves marched up to the steel sphere which had the element. They started poking it with their axes, trying to find a secret opening. “Hold back!” A dragon guard pushed everyone out. “I got this!” He pointed his dragonstaff at the sphere, and fired the bursting flames at the sphere, filling it with fire and smog. Not long later, the smoke cleared, and the steel ball had an enormous hole in it. The element was still in there, having mint condition.

The staff was so shiny, it glowed a bright light as if it was the sun. As it shined, if made a pale humming noise. Glamdi, the dwarvish commander tried to grab the staff, but a human swordsman quickly grabbed the dwarf’s wrist, and pushed it back. “Keep your paws off the kings prize, dwarf!”

“This stave is not your possession, it belongs to the dwarves!” Glamdi shouted out, slapping the humans arm. “The bloody element is mine!”

“Alas! The dwarf won't give the king his prize, and so he shall die!” The swordsman screamed, drawing out his sword. As he did, all the other humans drawn out their weapons.

“RAISE AXES!” Glamdi exclaimed. “The human won't hand out the stave, and this shall be a battle for it!”

The humans and the dwarves, clashed together, slashing and smashing each other. Arrows raised upon the dwarves, as fire fluttered from the dwarven thundersticks. A Human smashed his mace at Glamdi, shooting him away, as his back smashed against the wall. He bled heavily, and could not move. His armour was so heavily damaged it was useless. The iron mauler then made a final swing with his mace, crushing the dwarf’s head.

Now without a leader, the dwarves scurried away, running from the abandoned elvish stronghold. As the dwarves ran off, one of the human commanders took the staff from the blasted sphere, and raised it up. “We have prevailed! We have captured the Master Element!”

The other humans cheered on, and left the stronghold. That night, the humans, along with the king drank and sang songs. They partied through the night, celebrating the great milestone to the kingdoms power.

*NEXT CHAPTER: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41062
Last edited by Zamoon on October 10th, 2014, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: The War of the Master Element [fan fic] Prologue

Post by Sapient »

Well, I enjoyed it. :D

You might want to use another word other than "cardboard", something which would fit the setting more. I also spotted some grammatical mistakes, but nothing too bad.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Two powerful races fight for a weapon whom can destroy armies and shatter kings. Who would win?
Shouldn't there be a 'which' after the the word 'weapon' and not a 'whom'? <just pointing out a possible typo>
-This story may not be that accurate to the main lore. Sorry if that makes some of you “uncomfortable”
Well, I have no comments other than the fact that the elves aren't warlike and thus, elves boasting about kills is irrelevant to mainline lore. However, since you already stated that your story does not follow lore, you can ignore this remark.
toppling over the elves like cardboard
I agree that the word 'cardboard' should be changed to something more appropriate.
the dwarves marched up to the steel sphere which had the element
You previously typed that it was an iron sphere. :?

Finally, I enjoyed reading this prologue and I hope that you post the next chapter soon. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Zamoon

Post by Zamoon »

Hi! Thanks for the support (and constructive criticism)! i was nearly about to give up in this story ._.

I will try to release chapter 1 today!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
the dwarves marched up to the steel sphere which had the element
You previously typed that it was an iron sphere. :?
You know that steel is just an alloy of mostly iron with some carbon in it, so "iron sphere" and "steel sphere" can be seen as synonyms?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

pauxlo wrote:You know that steel is just an alloy of mostly iron with some carbon in it, so "iron sphere" and "steel sphere" can be seen as synonyms?
Steel is an alloy of iron, however, I don't see how they can be synonyms. Steel has a more lustrous appearance and has many more applications in the modern world than Iron. However, since we're not concerned with the modern world here, we should just ignore the modifying word(s) since we have understood what the writer referred to.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium