Reworking Apocalypse Era, some lore and ideas.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Reworking Apocalypse Era, some lore and ideas.

Post by dipseydoodle »

Hello.

A while ago i began work again on the Apocalypse Era/Wesmod TC. In doing so I created some new ideas that I think I'd like to use. Feel free to put in your own input please.

this was taken from a file I wrote up:

Code: Select all

APOCALYPSE ERA DOCUMENT

ABOUT: In a time when magic and myth was forgoten exists a struggling continent. War is everywhere, but others have managed to forge a untopia or two. The reason for all this war is one thing. Conquest of the Devided Plains. A lengend lives on from thousands years past of an ancient kingdom, lost to the mysterious invaders. But ah! Who are these invaders, and where did they come from? Some say they were chaosmongers, powerfull people who made believe in magic to scare off their oppenents. While many others think they were aliens. But the majority think it was a mixture of both. Maybe magic could be real. The viscous orcs, some believe to scientific experiments gone wrong reveal themselves again to the race of man. Who had only ever seen them in the passing century, and that generation is all but lost. The orcs have united under one flag after the ahnilation of one powerfull tribe. Pugru Allal their leader, along with his men have pierced the Barrier Mountains and are densending once more unto the divided plains. Mans only chance is to stand against them, in the Apocalypse.

regions ,,,

The Divided Plains - The area which would have once included the entire land of wesnoth extending to the barrier before the Heart Mountains, and including Elensafar, asfar west as Black Water Port,  South to the Aethenwoods, and as far east as the river listra. This area has been devided and conquered ever since the fall and is now host to a multitude of Millitary, technological and even utopian nations. The geological features have also changed. History suggest that once dense forest, running hills and superior mountains once dotted the planes, but now what exist is only the plains. The barriers between the plains is the Barrier Mountains, and the unknown Southern Wastes.

The Northern Experiments - Imagine a world covered in ice and ridden with a people of pale skin. They all wage war with each other, never ending. But a leader has finnaly risen among them. He has conquered the entire area. Below it is the Barrier Mountains.

The Southern Wastes - Not much is known about this either because nobody has gone there. But a few things have come from there and they were not nice. Men, that were not men, dressed like mummies and casting shards of ice mixed with lighting, followed by holograms looking like ghosts. It is south of the Divided Plains.

----

Factions ,,,

The Orcish Collective - The Orcish Collective has done nothing but slaughter since their fall on the plains. They are very primitive by our standards. Often wearing steel armor and bearing guarded swords. They fight fearlessly. Their favorite destructive weapon is the battering ram and the ballista for mass carnage.

Utopians - They have nothing to fear. Yet! They are very advanced. They are only protected by a small militia of Security Officers, but their weapons are pretty neat. Non-lethal weapons are thier specialty.

Southern Experiments - They are undiscribable.
My goal here is that I can then explain a transistion from The Fall (UtBS) into the Chaos Era (IftUK) and then into Divided Planes era (Apocalypse Era) into WesMod (which will have Irdyian/wesnoth side and a non story-line involved modern play style and will make up the TC part).

Hope this makes sense, sorry for the long post.

-Dipsey
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Re: Reworking Apocalypse Era, some lore and ideas.

Post by max_torch »

since this is all happening in the future and basing from the description there are developments in technology (e.g. scientific experiments), maybe there could be some or a lot of steampunk elements -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk?

and perhaps you can use the discovery of races or humans from other parts of the world who had more focus on technology because they didn't have magic like they do have in wesnoth so these people land on wesnoth and have more steampunk machines? So there will be tanks, airships, battlemechs, etc...

EDIT: I just saw that something like this has been done by the 'vinci' faction in the game "rise of legends" - http://riseoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Vinci
also, a quick search for images of steampunk dwarves, steampunk elves, steampunk dragons, and steampunk orcs can give you some ideas,
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Steampunk is already going to be used, but mainly as a backdrop in sevaral of the scenarios. I've not put it on paper but, I've imagined some pieces of perhaps chaos, or shaxal, or urian/yechnagothian, or entirely different cultural technology that was left from empires past. They would be large tower or spires mainly and would put off some kind of force feild as a protectant for soldiers. They would probably units aligned with no true side and would probably benifit wichever side (player 1, cpu etc...) occupied their adjacent spaces (gameplay wise) they would be undistructable do to the immense forcefeilds. If they were shaxthals, they could have been used to protect hives, if they were some other cultures they could have been used to protect villages or crops from invasions. These would have been re-service by the current inhabitants of the Divided Plains and used during there seemingly endless war.

Something else I've been thinking about asfar as the Southern Wastelands "hollograms are":

Code: Select all

I amagine a place that has become much like Sheol. In this sense: The Wesnothian lichs would have been driven into ultimate fright by the emerging chaos Magus's, that they would have fled into the Bitter Swamp and the Ashland Desert (places still on the Wesnothian map that is). Eventually they would have settled there for a very long time and maybe went into a type of Slumber. The Undead would have been able to hide inside the Swamp and Desert Dunes very easily. And then two or so centuries later, wandering souls which would have died there would reemerge from the Land of the Dead (like in Delfedors Memorials) and began terrorizing the Plains. These are by the way what I meant by Visions of Holograms, and Men, who are not men, blasting shards of ice, mixed with lightning. Such a highly advanced race would not think twice about living Holograms.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Ok tbh, I have yet to play UtBS, IftU, AtS, etc... but from how all this sounds I think I'm excited to get around to playing them soon.