Wesnothian calendar: Do they have months?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Wesnothian calendar: Do they have months?

Post by beetlenaut »

Numbering of the years is standardized in Wesnoth, but what about the days? Has it ever been decided how they are counted in the Wesnoth calendar? Do they have months or weeks? What are they called?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesnothian calendar: Do they have months?

Post by Paulomat4 »

I'd say that for a fantasy setting the term moon sound better. :hmm: anyway it's nearly a month, so yeah that would be fitting.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Paulomat4
The word month seems to be based on the word moon. In some other languages, the words for moon and month are identical.

Why can't the months simply called January, February and such, days in week called Monday, Tuesday and so on, a year having twelve months and a week having seven days? I have read some fantasy stories with renamed months, but it looked like purely made to confuse people.

A longer contemplation:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

"Monday, July 18th YW496" or something doesn't sound right. It's too anachronistic. "Twelfth day of the third moon" is going too far the other way (though it would be appropriate for a Saurian I think). It should sound like what an educated mage or scribe would use.
Day names:
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I think, that weekdays really don't sound right. On the other hand: "During the 6th moon of garard reign" sounds quite good in my opinion. I also think that we don't really need this precise dates in wesnoth.
The months system seems right to me, but i think the name should be changed. Not to rename every month, but rather to find the right term for it.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

In A Tale of Two Brothers, dates are written in the following form:
27 V, 363 YW
Excerpt from the journal of Baran of Maghre
Presumably this means the 27th day of the fifth month.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

gnombat wrote:In A Tale of Two Brothers, dates are written in the following form:
Ah! I didn't remember that. It's been a long time since I played AToTB. I am planning to use the dates for journal entries as well, so I can follow that style. Thanks.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

beetlenaut wrote:Ah! I didn't remember that. It's been a long time since I played AToTB.
The storyline was revised in version 1.10.
goblinThing

Post by goblinThing »

I do like the idea of simply not naming the months, as one can tell by "the fifth month" the time of year, and therefore the general weather pattern.

Just some alternate ideas:
-perhaps don't use months, but work by seasons. "The third moon of summer", for example. (I assume that most of wesnoth is fairly temperate, and could thereby support such a system.)
-follow the roman traditions and rename some months by kings. It could be an interesting little bit of lore to see in HttT "5 hadricksmoon" (twisted the name a little to compensate for uneducated peasants getting it wrong a little each generation.) Consequently, as each of the campaigns progressed, some months would be renamed. After HttT, for example, Konrad might replace a dead guy's month name with Lizar's name. (sidenote: I can almost see him doing it... it's just a little too arrogant. Perhaps one of his loyal and high-placed retainers did it without getting his permission. :lol: )
-maybe even mix the two, to keep things simple. build the calendar around seasons, but give the seasons names from the founding of wesnoth. I agree with Dugi that renaming the months can be very confusing. If the number of month names were kept down, it might be easier to follow.