Questions Regarding Dwarven Lore

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Andrettin

Questions Regarding Dwarven Lore

Post by Andrettin »

Good day,

I have a couple of questions about the Dwarves:

1. Have any words in the Dwarvish language been shown so far?

2. Does the Dwarves' runic alphabet have a name? If not, does their language?
Elfarion

Re: Questions Regarding Dwarven Lore

Post by Elfarion »

Regarding only mainline, the answer is no to both questions. I can't talk about UMC though.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Andrettin wrote: 1. Have any words in the Dwarvish language been shown so far?
Uhm, no. The dwarves speak English like all the races, but there is a significant use of contractive words.
2. Does the Dwarves' runic alphabet have a name? If not, does their language?
If I recall the novel Stone Remembers (have a read at it - it's quite intriguing), the runes are considered to be the language of their 'ancients.'
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Uhm, no. The dwarves speak English like all the races, but there is a significant use of contractive words.
There is more to it, really. Since people decided it was a convenient stylistic choice for writing campaigns, they tend to speak in the Scots dialect of English. If they have a native language, it just hasn’t been portrayed in mainline yet (same applies to Wesnothians, elves, etc.) beyond given names.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The runic alphabet is called Elder Futhark in real life. I don't know if there's a name for it in-game.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Elfarion wrote:Regarding only mainline, the answer is no to both questions. I can't talk about UMC though.
Ah, I see, thanks!
Lord-Knightmare wrote: Uhm, no. The dwarves speak English like all the races, but there is a significant use of contractive words.
Well, of course, but I imagine they have their own language in-universe, in which names like Knalga and Kal Kartha have a meaning.
If I recall the novel Stone Remembers (have a read at it - it's quite intriguing), the runes are considered to be the language of their 'ancients.'
I'll take a look :)
AI wrote:The runic alphabet is called Elder Futhark in real life. I don't know if there's a name for it in-game.
In Norse mythology, Dvalin was the one who first taught runes to other dwarves. As such, one idea would be to call it the "Dvalic Alphabet", or "Dvalic Runes". I know Wesnoth is not Norse mythology, but inspiration could be taken from it.