SPOILER ALERT: Ockward's story for his UMC

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Jeffers0n » August 31st, 2013, 10:26 am

Spoiler:
Jeffers0n
 
Posts: 106
Joined: April 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Ockward » August 31st, 2013, 11:53 am

Jeffers0n wrote:
Spoiler:


I'd love to ignore nr.5, since that's all too boring...
And also because:


Nr.3 is definitely overkill (I wrote it)

Nr.2 ...
Decided it spoils the plot to not put in spoiler brackets:


Nr.1
Is the one that works best fo me (as I've now pondered about which one suits the plot best):


Oh, and Nr.4 Can be tweaked by how it's interpreted.
Why I use debug, you say? I like the stories, not the actual fighting.
User avatar
Ockward
 
Posts: 63
Joined: July 5th, 2011, 10:42 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Dugi » August 31st, 2013, 7:09 pm

Just to tell what I think about this...

Drinking blood:
Let us assume that they are undead. They should drink blood. Because they are undead, they need no food, so the blood must be for something else. They drink blood to gather energy, so it might be some sort of spiritual energy contained within blood. Maybe the spiritual energy can be used for spellcasting is transported through the body via blood as well (or stored in blood). Ghosts drain the spiritual energy directly from the spirit, because they are incorporeal, ravaging the very soul in the process. Corporeal vampires have to consume the parts of the body where the largest amounts of spiritual energy reside, and blood is the most comfortable for this purpose.

The power and need of an external source of energy:
Ghosts don't need to drain life force regularly. Liches neither. Liches can drain, but it seems to be similar to the ghosts' draining ability, probably they can detach their incorporeal spirit from their bones and reach out for the soul. Vampires need to feed, so they probably consume more energy that they can produce. They can't survive without feeding, so they are probably used to a high energy consumption. This allows them to be stronger than ghosts and liches (if they have experience, a noob vampire can't use his strength properly), but for the cost of the constant ravenous hunger.

Why they are so rare:
If a vampire is very strong, he will not want to risk destruction. A proper, self-loving, proud and complacent vampire will assume that only something similar to him can kill him, and will shun other vampires. He will not want to create more vampires to create an army of vampires, because of the fear of creating potential challengers. Another reason for not creating vampires is that more vampires imply less humans (or humanoids), therefore less food, and concurrence in feeding. Vampires might be created only by means of necromancy (a necromancer who happens to enjoy martial arts might prefer vampirism over lichdom, or just create vampires as servants) or when a vampire finds somebody extremely trustful and loyal (even for his paranoid standards).

According to this explanation, if a vampire sucks faerie blood, nothing unusual happens, just gets temporarily stronger because of having that energy drink.
Author of Legend of the Invincibles.
I am human, stronger than any god. -Joe Tiberi
User avatar
Dugi
 
Posts: 4766
Joined: July 22nd, 2010, 10:29 am
Location: Carpathian Mountains

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Ockward » September 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Wow, there now has stacked up so many interpretations of the vampire, that we probably could pick some parts here and there and puzzle together the perfect mainline canon vampire.

Right now I'm too tired to continue this post, heck, I even had a mental breakdown earlier too... was so depressed :( ...
I might edit it later, like 5 or so ( Wesnoth Forum Time, or WFT for short)


Also wondered if I have any right to "create" a mainline canon vampire, srsly.
Why I use debug, you say? I like the stories, not the actual fighting.
User avatar
Ockward
 
Posts: 63
Joined: July 5th, 2011, 10:42 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby 8680 » September 1st, 2013, 2:43 am

Ockward wrote:
Crow_T wrote:

I like it :lol2:

Here is another one:
Spoiler:


Man his feet are tiny!

:annoyed:
This tread was not about expressing how much you like wrong perspectives, Crow_T, it has the sole purpose to find out what a mainline vampire is, and so, your post has nothing to add but confusion.
I do not ask for an apology, but I do ask that should you like to post here, do so with the intent to add something constructive and on topic, not with the intent to troll or something of the like.
Ockward wrote:should you like to post here, do so with the intent to add something constructive and on topic

Yes, please.

Crow_T, if someday you find yourself writing a post where it would be appropriate to include such a large image via [img] tags, please do wrap it in [spoiler] tags, as Ockward thoughtfully did when quoting your post.

Blarumyrran
Blarumyrran wrote:
Midnight_Carnival wrote:How please can a perspective be "wrong"?

Spoiler:

While this image is indeed an excellent example of perspectives being wrong, it is of course using “perspective” in a different sense than that in which Midnight_Carnival used it. From someone with a poor understanding of the English language, this would be excusable; however, I will not excuse you, for whom it would be quite in character to deliberately misinterpret the word in this way and to this end, who used “perspective” in the same sense as Midnight_Carnival in the very post to which Midnight_Carnival was replying, and who subsequently posted…
Blarumyrran wrote:
This tread was not about expressing how much you like wrong perspectives, Crow_T, it has the sole purpose to find out what a mainline vampire is, and so, your post has nothing to add but confusion.


I agree. Fix,
Spoiler:

…another obnoxiously large non-constructive image, again based on what I can reasonably conclude to be a deliberate misinterpretation, this time of Ockward’s post.


Ockward, I’m moving this to the Writers’ Forum, as you requested. I hope my above text-wall doesn’t prove itself to be a writer’s block.
User avatar
8680
Moderator Emeritus
 
Posts: 745
Joined: March 20th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Midnight_Carnival » September 2nd, 2013, 9:26 am

:augh: What you didn't like my 'it was actually an old lady' explaination?
Well, then I'll share some of my ideas on vampires outside Wesnoth, which might be applicable to issues discussed here, especially the blood drinking and faerie magic part.

Ok, it's probably a bit stupid to start by saying that I don't believe in vampires :doh:
I do however believe in vampirisim, which would be a condition having physical, spiritual or psychological causes. Since I'm not qualified to discuss the other two, and since I find it far more interesting, I will discuss the possible spiritual causes (this also doesn't limit this to a "real world discussion".
-Ok, let us consider possible spiritual realms beyond notions of the afterlife: I suppose this would work with hell, but otherwise, faerie, the afterlife, other planes, whatever... we can speculate that if such do exist, there could be entities there who do not possess a physical body - in order to stay in our realm ("why?" is another matter) they must borrow energy from living things. This is easilly obtained by vital fluids, in this case blood. Should such a spirit become attached to someone, the person might mistake the spirit's cravings for their own and either cut themselves in a constant offering of blood to the spirit, or drinking blood, their own or others.

-secondly, if there were a "spiritual plane", etc... in which entities could also possess or manifest physical bodies similar to our own, we should consider the possiblity of them appearing as human and breeding with humans. The offspiring would possess a dual nature being of two worlds so to speak. Symptoms may include a feeling of not belonging and a craving for blood (see above) -powers, including prolonged lifespan, etc... would come from the other world and not the drinking of blood, however, without feeding the other aspect, it might die, so they could be strengthened by drinking blood. It is possible that someone who has exceeded their lifespan by drawing on the other side might experience accelerated aging should they stop drinking blood.
As for sunlight and garlic: well, the sun's rubbish anyway, I have no clue about the garlic.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
User avatar
Midnight_Carnival
 
Posts: 828
Joined: September 6th, 2008, 11:08 am
Location: On the beach at sunset, gathering coral

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Ockward » September 7th, 2013, 9:27 am

Yma stih dtaher wno ddae ersi, ersi pu mfor eth egvra ewrhe ti yla dan wno ectoemlp eth epsuorp hwchi ti swa ngeiv! :twisted:

OT... "apology":


You have an interesting point of view, Midnight_Carnival. And as the many ones before, it makes sense.
:hmm: ... HMMM!!...

What if...
A mainline canon vampire can not increase their number by some virus or any "vampire magic"
The vampire can only be created by the human use of faerie magic... if they survive, that is. This binds a spirit that craves the souls of others to the host
The vampire needs to sustain themselves by drinking the blood of others
(see the connection here :P ?), it knows this instinctively. Should the vampire fail to do so, their soul will instead be consumed by the spirit bound to them
The vampire fears garlic as we humans fear the unknown
It is, of course, nocturnal
Should the vampire consume the blood of a faerie, it also consumes it's soul, resulting in that the "evil" soul is dispelled and the soul of the faerie is disintegrated in the process, this, though, is not known instinctively by a vampire. This also results in the vampire not having "the curse of thirst" anymore... on the other hand, it can never more enjoy the taste of consumable mass, and is doomed to live forever unless destroyed with intent



Midnight_Carnival wrote: :augh: What you didn't like my 'it was actually an old lady' explaination?


Didn't like? What? .-.
It was just such a hilaroius interpretation of that TRoW scenario that I couldn't help but laugh!
You've got humor, know that :wink:
Why I use debug, you say? I like the stories, not the actual fighting.
User avatar
Ockward
 
Posts: 63
Joined: July 5th, 2011, 10:42 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Midnight_Carnival » September 10th, 2013, 8:47 am

shame, poor vampires!
No wonder they're so rare, I wouldn't like to be one!

Hate to pirate other people's ideas, but I'd suggest somewhere more along the lines of what is shown in Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver - as in a spirit inhabiting or manifesting itself as a body outside it's native realm where it's appetites are more easily stated and having to feed on blood to survive here. (perhaps exiled here and/or unable to return)
I like that vampirism is coming across as a disease (not the virus sort)/disability or malady and think that your explaination presents that well.

Just as long as you stay away from the Blade series or Twilight, well you can't go so far wrong :hmm:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
User avatar
Midnight_Carnival
 
Posts: 828
Joined: September 6th, 2008, 11:08 am
Location: On the beach at sunset, gathering coral

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Groggy_Dice » September 12th, 2013, 1:54 am

As a side note, the very old UMC "Scout" (1.0 and 1.2) was apparently building up to an explanation of how the elves of the Three Sisters became corrupted, but I don't think it got up to that point. So, nothing on the Vampire Lady as far as I know.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Groggy_Dice
Developer
 
Posts: 163
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 6:19 am

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Ockward » September 12th, 2013, 8:08 am

I... believe... that since the mainline wesnothian vampire is shrouded in such mystery... I would like to continue writing the story, revising things that is not-so-canon, and changing things to... ehrm... :hmm: ...mainline's(?) liking as I go.

Anyhows, I wish to ask you if you think it is ok for me to change this thread to a thread where I create the story for my UMC. Also any input or idéas from any of you
would not only be accepted, but also appreciated.

For me to think that it would be ok to cange the topic of this thread I want at least a total of three approvals. Any disapproval will increase the amount of approvals needed by the same amount.

Let the "voting" commence!
Why I use debug, you say? I like the stories, not the actual fighting.
User avatar
Ockward
 
Posts: 63
Joined: July 5th, 2011, 10:42 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Midnight_Carnival » September 13th, 2013, 8:47 am

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I have no idea what you're on about, but I think getting your version of events to be decalred 'official' is a little more involved than that! :hmm:

That said, if you are offering the only good explaination and are able to convince everyone of the reason an expaination is necesarry, I'm sure people will go with it.

:wink: just for fun you can have my vote ok.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
User avatar
Midnight_Carnival
 
Posts: 828
Joined: September 6th, 2008, 11:08 am
Location: On the beach at sunset, gathering coral

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Andrettin » September 13th, 2013, 9:23 am

Midnight_Carnival wrote::lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I have no idea what you're on about, but I think getting your version of events to be decalred 'official' is a little more involved than that! :hmm:

That said, if you are offering the only good explaination and are able to convince everyone of the reason an expaination is necesarry, I'm sure people will go with it.

:wink: just for fun you can have my vote ok.


He is asking for people to vote on whether it is ok for him to change the topic of this thread to his version of the Vampire story, rather than the more generic topic it has now.

I vote my ok, too.
Andrettin
 
Posts: 185
Joined: September 2nd, 2013, 5:40 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Jeffers0n » September 13th, 2013, 3:33 pm

I vote ok too
Jeffers0n
 
Posts: 106
Joined: April 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby Ockward » September 13th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Since the proposal now has three approvals, I'll wait until next friday to see wether there comes any more approvals or maybe any disapprovals...

... :| ...

Until then... maybe I should start an art thread... since I'll probably need to train my "skill" (maybe even using the word skill is overkill?) in wesnoth art.
-- Both pixel- and classic.

With that, I leave you with an off-topic-section:
The off-topic-section:
Why I use debug, you say? I like the stories, not the actual fighting.
User avatar
Ockward
 
Posts: 63
Joined: July 5th, 2011, 10:42 am
Location: Västerås, Sweden

Re: What does Mainline know about Vampires?

Postby wolkenwand » September 14th, 2013, 2:54 am

well, this looks fun ockward :) . i vote yes for changing this thread for the story development of your campaign.
User avatar
wolkenwand
 
Posts: 47
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 10:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to Writers’ Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MiddleTwin and 2 guests