Correction in human race description, pls.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Correction in human race description, pls.

Post by Yomar »

I just wanted to report, that in the human race description at the end there is this sentence "Their skin color can vary, from almost white to dark brown." I think it would be more correct, if it would be like this > "Their skin color can vary, from almost white to almost black".
Reason ? Well there are persons that are almost white (like some nordics), but also others that are almost black (for example certain africans).

P.S.
I even searched on an encyclopedia, and there to its states that skin color can vary from almost white to almost black.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Dugi

Re: Correction in human race description, pls.

Post by Dugi »

There are colours that can be described both as almost black and dark brown. Telling their skin color can vary, from almost white to almost black does not suggest what is the actual hue of their skin (well, we all know that, but what if wesnoth humans' skin varies in shades of green, from almost white/very light green to almost black/very dark green, we would not know).
lipk

Post by lipk »

Well there are persons that are almost white (like some nordics), but also others that are almost black (for example certain africans).
IIRC there aren't any black people in Wesnoth canon.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

IIRC there aren't any black people in Wesnoth canon.
Who are those dark brown people then ? , usually the dark brown people that I see around are black persons.

So I can't make an era with black people ?

No offense, but this sounds almost racist.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Don't overreact, Yomar. There's no need for this potentially productive discussion to turn into a flamewar, which could easily happen if people start needlessly pointing fingers. Lipk said nothing even remotely racist; he simply made the statement that mainline Wesnoth, as it stands currently, doesn't happen to include any black people.

You most certainly could "make an era with black people"; no one has said anything to the contrary, and I'm unsure where you assumed that from. There may even already exist such an era, but if so, I'm not aware of it. (Though that's not saying much... I'm quite unfamiliar with the current multiplayer era add-ons, so it's very likely that I would not be aware of a particular faction/era. :P )
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

No Captain_Wrathbow, as I said it was not my intention to offend anyone, and I said almost, anyway, I'm not that kind of person that likes to start a "forum war", actually I have full respect for everyone (If they do so with me).

So lipk and dugi, no offense, ok ?
If I exagerated in some way (without wanting) I ask sorry.

But at least taking in account the possibility to change just 2 or 3 words would have been nice, its not that that would have changed anything, like game balance or Wesnoth history, after all even in middle ages black people existed (mori).
I'm just trying to say, that wider is the range of something and better it is.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I agree with both of the posts above. In the process of the artistic overhaul Gambit mentioned, what characters might be good candidates for such a change? I was thinking possibly the main character from Liberty... Baldras, IIRC? Or does he already have a current, up-to-date portrait? :hmm:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The Wesfolk would be a possible group who could be predominantly black (or of some other non-caucasian ethnicity; it's not like there's only two choices), but on the other hand "they were a wicked, brutal, and dirty lot" so let's not go there. :doh:

EDIT: The suggested two-word tweak seems fine to me.
johndh

Post by johndh »

"Their skin color can vary, from almost white to dark brown, bordering on black."
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

"Their skin colour can vary along an axis consisting of shades of brown, some light enough as to give human races of that ethnicity the name 'white', while some can have skin so close to black along this axis that their race is considered to be 'black'. A slight tilt towards orange can also be found in some human races."
johndh

Post by johndh »

Flameslash wrote:"Their skin colour can vary along an axis consisting of shades of brown, some light enough as to give human races of that ethnicity the name 'white', while some can have skin so close to black along this axis that their race is considered to be 'black'. A slight tilt towards orange can also be found in some human races."
While anthropologically sound, it's not the most readable description possible. If we really want to go all-out like that, how about...

"Their skin color varies in hue from pink to brown with various undertones and can be dark enough to be nearly black, light enough to be almost white, or anywhere in between."

Or Wikipedia puts it succinctly as "Human skin color ranges in variety from the darkest brown to the lightest pinkish-white hues."
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.