City Information

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

City Information

Post by Heindal »

Hi,

I'm currently developing a storyline for "world of wesnoth".

I already have read through this thread: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Geography_of_Wesnoth

I'd like to know if somebody can provide additional information about the irdyan cities or know where I can find additional information about these cities.
Scenario maps or internal city maps would be fine. I'm especially interested in Glamdrol.

Kind regards

Heindal
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: City Information

Post by zookeeper »

I don't think there's pretty much any canonical information on Glamdrol (unless LoW and/or DM feature it; I don't recall). It's an orcish capital of sorts like Barag Gór, but it's not known whether it's still one during SotBE or whether the were orcs mostly driven to the Far North during the Silver Age. It's the only orcish city on the main map, so I'd expect it to be their main stronghold north of the Great River (and south of the Far North) from the times of the second orcish invasion up until post-EI, and where an orcish council resides (assuming there is one during that time).
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, there's this map, which Kanzil (I think) showed me once, and which shows many lands to the east of Wesnoth. This is most likely non-canonical, but in that Geography of Wesnoth I saw references to a Southern Land, which I have never seen being mentioned in the canon, so I take it that you're accepting non-canonical information as well.

http://postimg.org/image/xp4wgedlx/full/
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Well, there's this map, which Kanzil (I think) showed me once, and which shows many lands to the east of Wesnoth.
A problem with this land is that there is a steppe to the far north, where tundras should be. These parts weren't in the map from SotBE, just its author added it. Don't take it too literally, I guess that nobody wants the geography of wesnoth to be totally absurd.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

@zookeeper: Thank you! An orcish city? Well, that forces me to make some changes to the story.

@revansurik Wow, this map is amazing. I'm not quite sure if this map can be realized in a single scenario map.

@dugi So far I've been thinking about changes to the so far discussed original story mission in glandrol. Instead of a sewer I will go for some kind of underground, ancient temple than.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

@revansurik Wow, this map is amazing. I'm not quite sure if this map can be realized in a single scenario map.
It is amazing indeed, but it has one flaw: to the south of Wesnoth, there's that Heart Forest, but in the South Guard map, there's a Sleepless Sea, a Black Forest and some Mountains of Peril instead. But the eastern regions really give food for thought: Flamebreath Desert, Ssyurys Fen, Firecloud Peak, Hammermounts... I so want a campaign featuring all these places and more :-)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I will think about that, but if nothing is known about these places it is hard to come up with stories and information that will be accepted by the community.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, the huge map is a bit older one, from which I used some bits and pieces when making the new maps but discarded most of the southern geography.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I will think about that, but if nothing is known about these places it is hard to come up with stories and information that will be accepted by the community.
I could help wih ideas... Besides, it would be nice to talk with the person (or people) who created the extra parts of that map, he/she/they may have been having some ideas when creating those names...

;-)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Such a workload isn't motivating :wink: and unfortunately I'm not that good in "networking". I need to advance my coding, lua and wml skills first to make stabler addons. After that I might create a huge worldmap, based on the already existing map.