Need help with unit descriptions?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gooby

Need help with unit descriptions?

Post by gooby »

I kind of want to give more back to the community than just bug reports. Earlier I had talked with someone about providing descriptions for some UMC units but it never went anywhere unfortunately so I'm here to turn that around.

I'm good with words—did real well on the GRE and whatnot—and know a few languages other than English. So I can for example translate a good German description into English ... maybe not the other way yet, not confidently, but translations to English are a possibility in that case. I can also write novel English descriptions.

If you have units that lack a good description, or know about others' units where this is an issue, please indicate them to me, and we'll see about what would make a good description. Of particular importance is what you want to be emphasized about a given unit; otherwise I might possibly choose the wrong features. For example the current Elvish Champion description in English mentions his swordsmanship, which is a no-brainer, but also other attributes that might not be as obvious. The distinction between him and the rest of the Elvish race as particularly martial also enters the description. I might not have thought about that. So the key to a good description is drawing attention the right things.

I eagerly await your replies.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Need help with unit descriptions?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, I need help making unit descriptions for my era (War of Legends). Interested?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Hello, I need help making unit descriptions for my era (War of Legends). Interested?
If I remember it correctly, there were some Windsong units who lacked descriptions; if you wish, I'd love to write them :-D
Other than those Windsong, which units need description? If it's one from a faction I'm better familiarized with, I could write them as well.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

revansurik wrote:
If I remember it correctly, there were some Windsong units who lacked descriptions; if you wish, I'd love to write them :-D
Other than those Windsong, which units need description? If it's one from a faction I'm better familiarized with, I could write them as well.
Since you're interested... the Southerners faction needs descriptions.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I'm not familiar with them, but they seem to be another version of the UtBS elves? I'll think of some descriptions... :-)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
gooby

Post by gooby »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Hello, I need help making unit descriptions for my era (War of Legends). Interested?
Sorry for letting almost a week pass before answering. I have been helping the maintainer of Antar and giving feedback to LotI as well. I'll PM you and we can go from there.