Question about magi

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mindelg

Question about magi

Post by Mindelg »

I searched the forums to see if this has already been discussed, and didn't find anything. Sorry if I missed something.
So here's my question: Do magi get married?
I'm attempting to write a campaign, and there's a remote possibility that the bad guy may become good and marry a mage, so I'm just curious to see what everyone else thinks about this. (But it's not that important.)
~Mindelg
Elfarion

Re: Question about magi

Post by Elfarion »

There's no obvious reason why magi should live in celibacy, so imo it's no problem.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I see no problem too.
Quite the contrary, this sounds like an interesting story. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Northern Rebirth actually has a married couple of White Magi. And if elvish magic users count then there are Kalenz and Cleodil from Legend of Wesmere. I don't remember any other married magi, but that's probably because mainline Wesnoth doesn't have much romance, magical or otherwise. In Delfador's Memoirs Kalenz's grandgaughter has a crush on the title character, but nothing comes of it as they're different species (no mention of Delfador's love life in HttT). And as Elfarion mentioned, there is no evidence that the magi should be celibate (some magi might be too crazy for a relationship, but that probably differs from individual to individual). And of course, in your own campaign you don't have to care about mainline canon (unless you aim for addition to the mainline, but most players probably care about story and gameplay quality more than about canonicity and many people make campaigns that don't take place in Wesnoth at all).
Mindelg

Post by Mindelg »

Thanks everybody, you're great. I'm still not sure if I'll marry them or not... but the chances of my doing so are dramatically increased. Thanks again!

Telchin, just how do you get your campaign into the mainline? I'm following the Wesnoth timeline and maps with this campaign, so I might be interested in that.
~Mindelg
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Telchin, just how do you get your campaign into the mainline? I'm following the Wesnoth timeline and maps with this campaign, so I might be interested in that.
That question would be better suited for somebody whose campaign has been added to mainline :lol2: , as I've made only one campaign so far and it's pretty far from mainline quality. Fortunately there is a list of requirements for mainline campaigns. Note that said list is several years old and I've seen some developers (link) expressing an opinion that mainline already has enough campaigns (some people play BfW only for multiplayer, so new mainline campaigns are dead weight for them). I don't want to sound negative, but be aware that addition to mainline requires both high quality and developers' approval (and other things listed in the linked announcement), so if this is your first campaign its addition to the mainline might be too remote goal. Good luck! :D
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

If you want your campaign to become mainline, you can just apply for it, but it must meet quite high standards of quality.
These standards are for short:
- The campaign must be complete and older.
- The campaign must be fully translatable.
- The campaign's graphics must be done well, no inanimate sprites headbutting their enemies.
- The story must be quite good. Not something too mainstream like one guy going to stop an orcish thread, defeating several orcish keeps and finally defeats their boss.
- The gameplay must be interesting, not just the usual defeat all enemy leaders all the time.
- The campaign must enrich wesnoth by bringing something new into it (it should have its own style).

Read this for more information.

A little advice: have it on the add-ons server for some time, wait for people giving you some feedback and then you will decide if it is should be mainline or not. I've seen people making up uninteresting stuff and thinking that they are very good. I am not telling that you're one of them, but most people can't tell if their product is good or not, and reviewers are needed. The last two campaigns added to the mainline, Delfador's Memoirs and Dead Water, were both adding something new and their stories weren't too common.
I don't think there is a reason why they shouldn't marry. The only problem is that they are less likely to find love due to their nature, magi are a kind of super geeky nerds who even exceed this world's nerds because their nerdiness gives them great powers. Having a girlfriend consumes a lot of time (that's why I don't have any), and the mages are too much into studying and becoming powerful to reserve so much time for something that doesn't bring power.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

Dugi wrote: - The story must be quite good. Not something too mainstream like one guy going to stop an orcish thread, defeating several orcish keeps and finally defeats their boss.
- The gameplay must be interesting, not just the usual defeat all enemy leaders all the time.
Yet AOI is exactly like this and it is mainline...

About the topic: I could imagine that a society forbids Magi to marry in attempt to prevent them from creating dynasties. (Given that magical talents are inheritable, of course.) I also could imagine that Magi's access to political power is somehow limited.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Mindelg

Post by Mindelg »

At this point, addition to mainline is anything but a goal. I just want to get further used to WML. (Because until recently, I only knew how to hack saves.) But in the distant future, after tons of work, I might want to apply for addition.

Elfarion, I think that Dugi was saying we don't need any more campaigns like AOI, because that style gets boring after a while.
~Mindelg
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

- The campaign's graphics must be done well, no inanimate sprites headbutting their enemies.
Doesn't Liberty violate this rule with the rogue mages?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It used to have animated sprites for rogue mages, but then somebody decided that they are too ugly and replaced them with a bit better looking, but inanimate sprites. There are more cases like this.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Crow_T wrote:
And now there are even nicer rogue mages in the queue. Seriously I believe most of the mainline campaigns got their current art assets after they were in mainline.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.