The Hammer of Thursagan comic

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

3ntin

The Hammer of Thursagan comic

Post by 3ntin »

Hi to all!

First of all, I'm not sure I'm in the correct section, so I courteously ask the moderators to correct my possible error.

Second, excuse me for my bad english. =)

I'm a young aspiring comic artist, and a old Wesnoth player. I really love this game!
I'm writing here because I'm thinking about making a comic using the story of a campaign of this great game, the Hammer of Thursagan. My purpose is only to practise with comic drawing techniques, comic scripting and so on, and I want to underline that I don't want to make money at all with this story. It's only practise...

I've obtained the full story through playing the campaign and reading the config files in the /campaigns directory. I'm working on the characters and on the script right now.

Now, I want to ask the campaign's creators: can I go on with my work? Do you have special requests/wishes about the story?

I'll point out that I'd like to publish this story in my website (still under construction) and some pages in my DeviantArt gallery at http://3ntin.deviantart.com, along with other stuff (such as the characters sheets, the settings concepts...).

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

3ntin
Telchin

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan comic

Post by Telchin »

Welcome to the forums! I´m neither THoT creator (IIRC that would be ESR) nor affiliated with the Wesnoth developers at all, so you can ignore my opinions entirely and just wait for a response from someone with authority. I´m just curious why did you of all Wesnothian campaigns choose THoT and not say HttT (or TRoW, UtBS, etc.)? I like THoT´s ending, but found the rest of the campaign bit bland (as it´s mostly journey from place A to place B with some random enemies on the way). That said I mean no offense to the campaign´s creators and I wish good luck with your project. :)
3ntin

Post by 3ntin »

well, that wouldn't be nice if I ignore you, isn't it? =)
what can I say...I decided to start drawing sme comic pages, and I didn't want to draw random ones. So I chose THot's story because it not so long as, for example, HttT, so it wouldn't take me too much time. Then, in my life I've drawn lots of elves and humans, but only a few dwarves, and this is my opportunity to practise with their anatomy and drawing techniques - and armors and weapons, because my dwarves will be very tough =). Finally with this campaign I'm able to try a different approach with narration, using a, external narrator that will appear as a character in the comic but wothout any interaction with the characters.
Hope my answer is complete. =)
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

Are you planning a serie of episodes or will you draw the entire comic and upload it as a whole? Either way I would very much like to see it.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
3ntin

Post by 3ntin »

well, the story isn't so long, so I'm planning to make a 64-pages book, with the story splitted into as much chapters as the number of maps in the campaign...!
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

well, that wouldn't be nice if I ignore you, isn't it? =)
Thanks for not ignoring me :) That said this thread seems to be ignored by actual developers... Meanwhile I may post you some links to the Wesnoth wiki. It´s mostly stuff you probably already know, but just in case it might be helpful:
  • Here should be transcription of the camapaign dialogues, so you don´t have to look for them in the .cfg files or replay the campaign (I´m not sure if the transcription is up-to-date though.)
  • Here should be general description for the characters from multiple campaigns, including THoT.
  • This is a guide to campaign making written by THoT´s creator, where he uses THoT as an example how to integrate a story to a campaign.
well, the story isn't so long, so I'm planning to make a 64-pages book, with the story splitted into as much chapters as the number of maps in the campaign...!
I suppose that not all chapters will be of equal length then. For example the Troll Bridge scenario is simply a filler both in gameplay and story (AFAIK the creator just wanted the player to breath out before the next scenario), while the last scenario is probably the longest scenario in mainline campaings (though mostly for tedious cave crawling, so you can shorten it considerably in a comic from). Good luck!
3ntin

Post by 3ntin »

Thanks for not ignoring me :) That said this thread seems to be ignored by actual developers...
well, I hope they're not ignoring me... :) and if so, no great problems for me...I started this thread because I wanted to do the comic as stick to the campaign and to the world of Wesnoth as I can, that's why I wanted to involve them all... :)
Meanwhile I may post you some links to the Wesnoth wiki. It´s mostly stuff you probably already know, but just in case it might be helpful:

Here should be transcription of the camapaign dialogues, so you don´t have to look for them in the .cfg files or replay the campaign (I´m not sure if the transcription is up-to-date though.)
Here should be general description for the characters from multiple campaigns, including THoT.
This is a guide to campaign making written by THoT´s creator, where he uses THoT as an example how to integrate a story to a campaign.
you're very kind!! those links are very useful, especially the characters' description! now I should consider removing the sword as Aiglondur's secondary weapon 8)
I suppose that not all chapters will be of equal length then. For example the Troll Bridge scenario is simply a filler both in gameplay and story (AFAIK the creator just wanted the player to breath out before the next scenario), while the last scenario is probably the longest scenario in mainline campaings (though mostly for tedious cave crawling, so you can shorten it considerably in a comic from). Good luck!
of course scenarios like the Troll's bridge will not take more than 1-2 pages or even less...! :) I will put some action scenes and an external voice telling what's happening...not more =) I've decided to use 64 pages, so I haven't so much room to fill with secondary battles... :)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hello 3ntin. I do not speak on behalf of the creator of this campaign, but as long as you're not in this for the money I don't think there's any reason we would want to stop you. Besides, doing something you enjoy for practice was always the surest path to progress, so I'll say good luck with your project! :)

Depending on the result, we might even be interested in using some of your work as story art for the campaign - if you're willing to allow it, of course.

Also, I've had a look at your deviantart page: your drawing skills are good but can improve, especially in regards to anatomy. Nothing's blatantly wrong, but there are often some body parts that aren't correctly proportionned compared to the whole body. I think you can make tremendous progress if you study some good anatomy books :)
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
3ntin

Post by 3ntin »

Depending on the result, we might even be interested in using some of your work as story art for the campaign - if you're willing to allow it, of course.
of course you can! I'll be honoured if I see some of my works included in Wesnoth! :D
Also, I've had a look at your deviantart page: your drawing skills are good but can improve, especially in regards to anatomy. Nothing's blatantly wrong, but there are often some body parts that aren't correctly proportionned compared to the whole body. I think you can make tremendous progress if you study some good anatomy books :)
[/quote]

well, most of those works are quite old...I practise almost every day right now, but I'm sure I can always improve! :) I had a look at your portfolio...your work is absolutely fantastic!! :shock: