The Legend Begins (Story Development)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

The Legend Begins (Story Development)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I have opened this topic for one purpose - to improve the current storyline(s) for episodes 3 and 4.

I have posted the first two episodes so that you guys can familiarize yourself with the overall plot. These two episodes are done and do not need improvements.
Spoiler:
Now, we can come to episode 3.
Current Storyline:
Some things I was thinking about:

[*]The Main Antagonist (Shirzo):- I had a good origin planned for him (which depended on AtS-3's plot). But, that campaign gave me a surprise, so I had rethink his origins. Instead of making him and his lackeys (Zenthos and Vaxmos) the new Iron Triad, I switched a few things as I made in the future prediction of Azura:
Ethreal Castle - Scenario 49:
[*]The character of Shifti - Is she really necessary? Should I give her a more significant role or should remove her completely?

[*]The set of scenarios concerning the journey into the Snow Kingdom. Instead of barbarians, I thought about making that kingdom have a moderate military system, which include troops like (Spearmen, Bowmen, and Horsemen).

[*]The character of Ariana. Was another love-interest really necessary or should I remove her good and leave her to be introduced for a possible sequel? :hmm:

[*]Mor-Inal - Should I include appearances of him in this episode? Or, should I send Mahir, (whom Mor-Inal resurrects to be his general) to a few battle skirmishes against Jahin.

[*]Name suggestions. Somebody please suggest me better names for the Vampire cities and the High Methusalem. The vampire cities have names derived from Blood. And the High Methsalem's name is a amalgamation of Dracula and Nosferatu. :augh:

[*]Infiltration into the Chaos land - This sounds very familiar to IftU. Hero taking only a few troops and going into the jaws of death.

[*]The Red Dragon - I had two inspirations for this villain. One was a awesome sprite (recolor of Fire Dragon) Sleepwalker did in a certain forum topic involving a new Dragon and the part one of A Song of Fire. If this is somewhat undesirable, I will remove this character and switch him for something better.

More Suggestions are welcomed...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Legend Begins (Story Development)

I apologize for the double post, but I'm the first user ever to exceed the character limit (60,000) :lol2:

Now, we discuss episode 4. The main problem is that...It's comparatively short (only an estimated seven scenarios). :hmm:
Spoiler:
I haven't finalized the map of the Great Isle yet, so anything is possible in this episode. Again some things, I was thinking about:

[*]The Alliance of Light - This is a must for the campaign. I got inspiration for this from an MP era back in Wesnoth 1.4.6
[*]Aragwaithi retreating North - I found this to be necessary to meet the Aragwaith origins in IftU and ASoF.
[*]
Jalin takes Fairuz's post as the second-in-command.
Jahin feels that it's time to visit his friend, Warren. So, he (with Ariana) sets out and the legend begins. New Genesis is ruled by Jalin until Jahin returns. Thus, the Legend Begins...
Well, someone needs to watchover New Genesis in Jahin's absence.

[*]Mor-Inal - He's a recurring villain, so unfortunately he will not meet his end in this campaign.

Additional resources:-

I don't really know if these are useful, but I have included them for everyone's benefit in giving me some suggestions about E3 and E4.

The Storyline (Pre-Wesnoth)

All my campaigns are aimed at or before the time The Rise of Wesnoth begins. As the future events (post Irdya and mid-Wesnoth are fixed, I decided to focus on the past.) I have spoken with cephalo and revansurik, and both have allowed me to merge their campaigns (ASoF and LoK) into this one.

Note: - I haven't added A Song of Fire into this yet.
Spoiler:
If this is favored by majority, I might just add this to the wiki as a Pre-wesnoth/ancient Irdya timeline.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I did it again! (exceeded character limit :lol2: )

[*]Map of Great Isle (load in Editor, pls):
Spoiler:
And, finally thanks in advance for posting suggestions (if anyone posts some suggestions, that is, :D )
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Perhaps the Magus council could reside in one of those Shaxthal hives, like Shadowmaster's? And you probably need to add a final battle with Mor-Inal. Maybe add some cryptic comment as he "supposedly" dies/ dissapears. If you've read the wheel of time, you'll know that Jain Farstrider's last words are " Tell the malkieri I died clean". It's never explained what it means, but it gets the reader thinking. Also, perhaps there should be an even higher demon lord in command of the magus council? And is Shirzo himself the fist of Uria following the second fall of the Chaos empire? Does he lead its final remnants or a new empire? Is he essentially the third emperor of the chaos empire, retreating into the past to regroup and destroy Wesnoth and the civilizations of the great continent before they've even begun? Wow, that's alot of ideas!

By the way, do you have a name for this continent? It's fast becoming a pretty big cycle of campaigns.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

My, my, that sure is a tsunami of text! :-P I'm reading it from the beginning, and I'm imagining some suggestions, but first I have some questions regarding the Chaos Empire: am I right to assume it is the Chaos Empire of IftU in its ancient history, which later expanded to the Great Continent after the Fall? And who is this Gaurdian of Darkness Azura talked about? I confess I'm confused about time spaces here :hmm:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

This is indeed that same empire- taken back in time, to destroy the civilizations of the Great continent before they've begun. Shirzo and co. are the second Iron Triad, with Shirzo the third emperor(or so we must assume for now...), following the defeat of the second empire of chaos they went into hiding to nurse their wounds from a defeat far in the future from a man who faced the resurgent chaos empire, about three-quarters of a century after the events of AtS, by uniting the best part of Irdya against the Chaos Empire. Thus, they ended up in the past. If you've ever watched Doctor Who you'll have a similar sensation, completely losing track of where you are in the plot, as it starts at the end and works backwards. Here, an unknown power has sent a huge part of the resurgent Chaos Empire back in time, and they are working to eliminate the nations of Irdya before they existed. Or at least, that's the plot of the first campaign of the trilogy-there's still another two to go....

"Aragwaithi retreating North - I found this to be necessary to meet the Aragwaith origins in IftU and ASoF." Knightmare, this can't really happen, as I had a discussion with Shadowmaster a while back about Aragwaithi origins-they didn't exist before the fall. Therefore, they must have gone back with Shirzo, but in the many generations since, have forgotten this but for the wisest of lore masters in the great Aragwaithi capital, Hiera’Shirsha, on the Great Continent, where they first appeared before most moved across the seas to the new continent( which needs a name). A few remnants remain, but by the Rise of Wesnoth, are integrated into the other human peoples, to avoid the complication of future Aragwaithi meeting past. I REALLY need to make a wiki page on all this history...
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

"Aragwaithi retreating North - I found this to be necessary to meet the Aragwaith origins in IftU and ASoF." Knightmare, this can't really happen, as I had a discussion with Shadowmaster a while back about Aragwaithi origins-they didn't exist before the fall. Therefore, they must have gone back with Shirzo, but in the many generations since, have forgotten this but for the wisest of lore masters in the great Aragwaithi capital, Hiera’Shirsha, on the Great Continent, where they first appeared before most moved across the seas to the new continent( which needs a name). A few remnants remain, but by the Rise of Wesnoth, are integrated into the other human peoples, to avoid the complication of future Aragwaithi meeting past.
If you're talking about the Hiera'Shirsha in ASoF, it is actually a Windsong Foundation; the Aragwaithi capital is Garet-Desh ;-). When they crossed the ocean, they built a new kingdom on the New Continent, but they mixed up with the Hannuk people, and so they forgot or abandoned their identity as Aragwaithi. Now, the other Aragwaithi group that leaves Garet-Desh goes north, to a cold, arid and uninhabited place, isolated from most other people, and there they would remain until Wesnoth's time. I think this would explain why they were not known to anyone until they decided to show up again.

EDIT: Just to avoid another double post ;-)
Well, finished reading the plot for part 3. Here are my thoughts:
They enter a cell, and find that three guards are trying to rape a girl, no older than Jahin.
It may be only me, but a rape attempt seems a bit too hardcore; couldn't the guards be just toying with the mage, like wounding her to see, for example, how much pain a mage can endure?
As Fairuz. Shifty, Affan and Ashhab prepare for the worse, a miracle happens. All of a sudden, there is a flash of light and then Shirzo, is surrounded by four beings - Future Jahin, Future Ariana, a Minotaur overlord and elven avatar. Future Jahin says, "Shirzo! It's high time we settle this!" and so saying, Future Ariana casts a spell that takes the five beings away. The heroes, astonished, hastily leave.
The heroes' future selves showing up all of a sudden at the last possible moment? Too much of a deus ex machina, I'd say; is it really important for the heroes to meet their future selves? Couldn't they, like find a weakness in the demigod Shirzo, and use it to defeat him against all odds?
[*]The character of Shifti - Is she really necessary? Should I give her a more significant role or should remove her completely?
Without her, that failed infiltration to assassinate the King would be a waste of time; at least by finding Shifti they gain a new ally. But maybe Jahin already has enough allies, and she isn't really necessary; but that's up to you to decide ;-)
[*]The character of Ariana. Was another love-interest really necessary or should I remove her good and leave her to be introduced for a possible sequel?
I think it could be interesting to use her here, and explore Jahin's own conflicts: he falls in love with Ariana, but feels like staying with her will be a betrayal to Faria's memory. It is not uncommon to introduce a new love interest to the main hero when the first one dies, just see Spiderman, Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane :-P
[*]Mor-Inal - Should I include appearances of him in this episode? Or, should I send Mahir, (whom Mor-Inal resurrects to be his general) to a few battle skirmishes against Jahin.
Maybe he could be out in this episode, making new plans, searching for new ways to increase his own power, and leaving Mahir to keep Jahin busy meanwhile. Then, in the next episode, Mor-Inal would return kicking asses more than ever :twisted:
[*]Name suggestions. Somebody please suggest me better names for the Vampire cities and the High Methusalem. The vampire cities have names derived from Blood. And the High Methsalem's name is a amalgamation of Dracula and Nosferatu.
I invented the name Vrykos for a vampire lord that appears in ASoF, it comes from Vrykolakas, which is some sort of vampire-like monster of Greek folklore. Or maybe Tepes, which is the surname of the man who inspired Dracula. Or maybe Cullen - just kidding, just kidding :-P
[*]Infiltration into the Chaos land - This sounds very familiar to IftU. Hero taking only a few troops and going into the jaws of death.
Well, those who like this kind of gameplay will enjoy it, but I personally think that both IftU and AtS gave us enough such scenarios for a whole life :-P
[*]The Red Dragon - I had two inspirations for this villain. One was a awesome sprite (recolor of Fire Dragon) Sleepwalker did in a certain forum topic involving a new Dragon and the part one of A Song of Fire. If this is somewhat undesirable, I will remove this character and switch him for something better.
Um, what is this dragon's relation to those that appear in ASoF, exactly? Is he a special dragon, or a common one? Or does he have something to do with Agniballi, just like Myra is related to Nitiballi? Anyway, the Red Dragon could spice up things in the Great Isle: when the Alliance of Light, the vampires and the Chaos legions are desperately fighting each other, there comes another mighty contender that kicks everyone's ass. I'm a particularly great fan of multi-sided battles, it feels so crazy and chaotic, not counting the good feeling of standing victorious over a diverse pile of enemies :twisted: The Dragon could also provide some more diversity; fighting only vampires, Chaos legions and elementals for too long could get boring.

Well, now it's 4 am where I live, so I'm gonna sleep, but tomorrow (I mean, today) I'll finish reading the plot for episode 4 :-D

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

@Kanzil and revansurik: Thanks guys, for commenting and suggesting. I will throughly review and give my views on your ideas and informations. :D
Kanzil wrote:Perhaps the Magus council could reside in one of those Shaxthal hives, like Shadowmaster's?
My campaign is based way before IftU or AtS, so, no. Shaxthals weren't found yet...
And you probably need to add a final battle with Mor-Inal.
I was saving that for the 3rd Campaign, which is why he is a recurring villain.
Maybe add some cryptic comment as he "supposedly" dies/ dissapears. If you've read the wheel of time, you'll know that Jain Farstrider's last words are " Tell the malkieri I died clean". It's never explained what it means, but it gets the reader thinking.
Presuming him dead will make New Genesis put down defenses. Hence, if a massive elemental army were too attack...So, I prefer to keep the threat alive.
Also, perhaps there should be an even higher demon lord in command of the magus council?
Hmm......Good point there.... :hmm: To the creativity realm! :D
And is Shirzo himself the fist of Uria following the second fall of the Chaos empire?
What is the fist of Uria exactly? Never understood these terms in AtS properly.
Does he lead its final remnants or a new empire?
Remnants. But, this is a significant percentage of the original one, so you might consider it a new one.
Is he essentially the third emperor of the chaos empire, retreating into the past to regroup and destroy Wesnoth and the civilizations of the great continent before they've even begun? Wow, that's alot of ideas!
Came to me while watching a cartoon...
By the way, do you have a name for this continent? It's fast becoming a pretty big cycle of campaigns.
I initiallt named it the Great Isle, but I might change it. So, suggestions are welcomed.
but first I have some questions regarding the Chaos Empire: am I right to assume it is the Chaos Empire of IftU in its ancient history, which later expanded to the Great Continent after the Fall?
After the Empire started to break apart (AtS-E3), three lich magi gathered the followers still loyal to Uria and found a new order system, and started to reclaim what the original empire had lost.
And who is this Gaurdian of Darkness Azura talked about?
Anya, the demon shapeshifter who was a supported of Elynia.
This is indeed that same empire- taken back in time, to destroy the civilizations of the Great continent before they've begun. Shirzo and co. are the second Iron Triad, with Shirzo the third emperor(or so we must assume for now...), following the defeat of the second empire of chaos they went into hiding to nurse their wounds from a defeat far in the future from a man who faced the resurgent chaos empire, about three-quarters of a century after the events of AtS, by uniting the best part of Irdya against the Chaos Empire. Thus, they ended up in the past.
Nicely paraphrased... :D
"Aragwaithi retreating North - I found this to be necessary to meet the Aragwaith origins in IftU and ASoF." Knightmare, this can't really happen, as I had a discussion with Shadowmaster a while back about Aragwaithi origins-they didn't exist before the fall. Therefore, they must have gone back with Shirzo, but in the many generations since, have forgotten this but for the wisest of lore masters in the great Aragwaithi capital, Hiera’Shirsha, on the Great Continent, where they first appeared before most moved across the seas to the new continent( which needs a name). A few remnants remain, but by the Rise of Wesnoth, are integrated into the other human peoples, to avoid the complication of future Aragwaithi meeting past. I REALLY need to make a wiki page on all this history...
Time for some creative solutions. :twisted:
I assumed that they inhabited the Northern Regions (I place I think is the Northern Pole of Irdya). Before even coming to the Great Isle. In A Song of Fire, Prince Varthan (son of Abhai) takes the majority of the Aragwaithi and the Windsong to the North. The Aragwaithi built great cities there, while the Windson build a bigger and better library. This place will be explored in the 2nd Campaign. :mrgreen:

This place was forgotten, so I believe shadowmaster was right to say that they didn't exist before the Fall (but, they did and were very far away).
It may be only me, but a rape attempt seems a bit too hardcore; couldn't the guards be just toying with the mage, like wounding her to see, for example, how much pain a mage can endure?
The guards were barbarians. Does one expect civilty from barabrians? :hmm:
The heroes' future selves showing up all of a sudden at the last possible moment? Too much of a deus ex machina, I'd say; is it really important for the heroes to meet their future selves? Couldn't they, like find a weakness in the demigod Shirzo, and use it to defeat him against all odds?
They don't actually meet. Jahin is unconscious at the time, when Future Jahin arrives, while Ariana is in New Genesis. Fairuz and the others see, but they don't get to tell Jahin as they sacrifice themselves afterwards.

A weakness to Shirzo? :lol2: He's freaking invincible, compared to only a few ordinary melee weapons, and a mage with lighting bolts... At least the future guys stood a chance as they took him back to the future.
Without her, that failed infiltration to assassinate the King would be a waste of time; at least by finding Shifti they gain a new ally. But maybe Jahin already has enough allies, and she isn't really necessary; but that's up to you to decide

Perhaps I can make her a teacher of Jahin. She teaches him leadership and advanced battle tactics. Jahin initially relied on brute force and ambushes, he needs some new advice. Being the daughter of a King, she is well suited for the task. :hmm:
I invented the name Vrykos for a vampire lord that appears in ASoF, it comes from Vrykolakas, which is some sort of vampire-like monster of Greek folklore. Or maybe Tepes, which is the surname of the man who inspired Dracula. Or maybe Cullen - just kidding, just kidding
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate. ... =vampnamer

Found this name generator by doing Google search, it will serve me well for a few days until I find a good enough name. Now, for the cities... :hmm:
Well, those who like this kind of gameplay will enjoy it, but I personally think that both IftU and AtS gave us enough such scenarios for a whole life
Yeah, so let's think of some alternatives. All-out assault is not an option...
Um, what is this dragon's relation to those that appear in ASoF, exactly? Is he a special dragon, or a common one? Or does he have something to do with Agniballi, just like Myra is related to Nitiballi? Anyway, the Red Dragon could spice up things in the Great Isle: when the Alliance of Light, the vampires and the Chaos legions are desperately fighting each other, there comes another mighty contender that kicks everyone's ass. I'm a particularly great fan of multi-sided battles, it feels so crazy and chaotic, not counting the good feeling of standing victorious over a diverse pile of enemies The Dragon could also provide some more diversity; fighting only vampires, Chaos legions and elementals for too long could get boring.
[/quote]

Well, the Red Dragon shares nothing with the dragons mentioned in your campaign or Myra. He is just a dragon who has red scales. Also, he's a lot bigger and stronger than most dragons (lacks magical powers though). He will be a good antagonist won't he. He scares away the Aragwaithi.... :twisted:

Well, anyways thanks again for your assistance and views in this. I will think about what has been suggested and add some new ideas to the current storyline.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Firstly, the isn't there already a continent called the Great Isle? Secondly, the player should face Mor-Inal at some point in the campaign, if only to remind them he's still alive; by final battle I meant the final battle with him of this particular campaign.
Thirdly,
(I place I think is the Northern Pole of Irdya). Before even coming to the Great Isle
Thinking about it, Shadowmaster doesn't mention the anything about the Aragwaithi origins, other than the fact they were united by Adavyan.
Errm... I think I agree.
If you're talking about the Hiera'Shirsha in ASoF, it is actually a Windsong Foundation; the Aragwaithi capital is Garet-Desh
Oops.. by the way, does ASoF take place before or after TLB? I assume well before? Where's the new, nothern, capital?Lastly, perhaps the Red Dragon should be some kind of legend? It's nice if there's some background to make his story a little stronger.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, finished reading the plot for episode 4. Seems ok to me, but I have one suggestion:

- In the battle against the dragon, fighting an enemy for 24 turns (4 days) and only then aim for the enemy leader would be tiresome. Maybe reducing the turns of fighting would make the scenario more fun.
Anya, the demon shapeshifter who was a supported of Elynia.
I should have been more specific: how does Azura know of the Guardian Anya, if Azura is in the past and Anya in the future? Does Azura see the future? If she does, wouldn't it be interesting if she gave Jahin a hint at what his future will be like? ;-)
In A Song of Fire, Prince Varthan (son of Abhai) takes the majority of the Aragwaithi and the Windsong to the North. The Aragwaithi built great cities there, while the Windson build a bigger and better library.
Just a hint: the Windsong that follow Varthan are responsible for teaching the Aragwaithi magic, and, having been raised as Windsong, would care a lot about those refugees' history, but they do not remain as a separate group; rather, they merge with the Aragwaithi, abandoning their identity as Windsong and building normal families. That is necessary, because, if they were just going to restore their order, they would have followed Myra. They followed Varthan because they didn't want to live as Windsong anymore - after all, the order didn't let them marry or build families. ;-)
A weakness to Shirzo? :lol2: He's freaking invincible, compared to only a few ordinary melee weapons, and a mage with lighting bolts... At least the future guys stood a chance as they took him back to the future.
Maybe he has a source from which he drains power, maybe he's arrogant like Mal-Ravanal, and the heroes take advantage of this to strike him down. I'm also thinking in the gameplay: if the player must limit himself to waiting for the future guys to show up, what will he do meanwhile, just avoid confronting Shirzo head-on? I think moving Jahin around the map fleeing from the enemy will kind of reduce his reputation; on the other hand, defeating a seemingly invincible foe is the stuff heroes' songs are made of :-P
Perhaps I can make her a teacher of Jahin. She teaches him leadership and advanced battle tactics. Jahin initially relied on brute force and ambushes, he needs some new advice. Being the daughter of a King, she is well suited for the task.
Nice idea! She could also refine his social and political skills; if he's going to wander the world for centuries, being good at diplomacy and social relations is a must, and the princess, being a high-ranking noblewoman, would be fitting for teaching him :-D
Well, the Red Dragon shares nothing with the dragons mentioned in your campaign or Myra. He is just a dragon who has red scales. Also, he's a lot bigger and stronger than most dragons (lacks magical powers though). He will be a good antagonist won't he. He scares away the Aragwaithi....
Ah, I see... Am I right to think the Red Dragon's attack remind those Aragwaithi of the Last War?
PS.: I don't know about you, but I think it is the dragon who should be afraid of all those spear-wielding Aragwaithi; if playing A Song of Fire has taught me anyhing, is that the fearsome lizards vanish like crazy before a wave of Aragwaithi spears :lol2:

EDIT: Kanzil posted his message while I was still writing mine... :-P
Oops.. by the way, does ASoF take place before or after TLB? I assume well before? Where's the new, nothern, capital?Lastly, perhaps the Red Dragon should be some kind of legend? It's nice if there's some background to make his story a little stronger.
ASoF happens waaaay before TLB :-D I imagined the Aragwaithi rebuilding their civilization in the central-northernmost reaches of the Great Continent, but it could be changed at anytime. There is also the matter of the Rod of Justice; it should be explained how it came from the Central Great Continent to the depths of Knalga :hmm:
Well, ASoF provides some powerful magical artefacts, and a heroine that will not vanish from Irdya so easily; maybe the sequels to TLB could feature Svarballi's Soul, the Sea Trident, maybe even Myra herself, reincarnated to save Irdya once again :-P

;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Firstly, the isn't there already a continent called the Great Isle?
The continent the Rise of Wesnoth begins in is called the Green Isle.
Secondly, the player should face Mor-Inal at some point in the campaign, if only to remind them he's still alive; by final battle I meant the final battle with him of this particular campaign.
I was thinking about it earlier today, and decided to add a final battle, although Mor-Inal escapes again....But, he says he will be back... :twisted:
Thinking about it, Shadowmaster doesn't mention the anything about the Aragwaithi origins, other than the fact they were united by Adavyan.
Yeah, I could add some info, like the Warren's death in HoI resulted in disbanding of the Aragwaithi.
Errm... I think I agree.
I was having some thoughts about replacing the barbarians with an organized military system. Then, I could remove the attempted assault scene. What are your views on this?
- In the battle against the dragon, fighting an enemy for 24 turns (4 days) and only then aim for the enemy leader would be tiresome. Maybe reducing the turns of fighting would make the scenario more fun.
Acknowledged. I will reduce that to just 2 days (12 turns).
how does Azura know of the Guardian Anya, if Azura is in the past and Anya in the future? Does Azura see the future? If she does, wouldn't it be interesting if she gave Jahin a hint at what his future will be like?
Azura can do that. How did you think she told Jahin about Shirzo's origins and hinted of Jahin being the man who brought down the Chaos Empire? Jahin only understood the first part... :lol2:
Just a hint: the Windsong that follow Varthan are responsible for teaching the Aragwaithi magic, and, having been raised as Windsong, would care a lot about those refugees' history, but they do not remain as a separate group; rather, they merge with the Aragwaithi, abandoning their identity as Windsong and building normal families. That is necessary, because, if they were just going to restore their order, they would have followed Myra. They followed Varthan because they didn't want to live as Windsong anymore - after all, the order didn't let them marry or build families.
Okay, I can coup with that. I have scratch out the part of Jahin meeting Lamisa, the Windsong commander, she and her companions go against the timeline. I have replace them with....(Steppe Orcs/Minotaurs/Rebel Barbarians/Rebels) - pick one. :hmm:
Maybe he has a source from which he drains power, maybe he's arrogant like Mal-Ravanal, and the heroes take advantage of this to strike him down.
Idea :D ! He has Svarballi's soul within him :twisted:
I'm also thinking in the gameplay: if the player must limit himself to waiting for the future guys to show up, what will he do meanwhile, just avoid confronting Shirzo head-on?
They would be fighting lvl4 Hell Overlords and Slashing Gales... :twisted:
I think moving Jahin around the map fleeing from the enemy will kind of reduce his reputation; on the other hand, defeating a seemingly invincible foe is the stuff heroes' songs are made of
Actually, they would have hold off the seemingly unstoppable enemies...
Nice idea! She could also refine his social and political skills; if he's going to wander the world for centuries, being good at diplomacy and social relations is a must, and the princess, being a high-ranking noblewoman, would be fitting for teaching him
:D Yeah, but I'm skipping the political bits. That is a boring subject. :augh:
Ah, I see... Am I right to think the Red Dragon's attack remind those Aragwaithi of the Last War?
PS.: I don't know about you, but I think it is the dragon who should be afraid of all those spear-wielding Aragwaithi; if playing A Song of Fire has taught me anyhing, is that the fearsome lizards vanish like crazy before a wave of Aragwaithi spears
Actually, the Aragwaithi I speak of, have long forgotten the Last War, there records were burnt away when the First War against the Steppe's broke out...
There is also the matter of the Rod of Justice; it should be explained how it came from the Central Great Continent to the depths of Knalga
Maybe when Prince Varthan was leading his people North, they were beset by Drakes and he and some veterans lead them into the caves, while the main populace escaped. In the caves, Varthan is killed, his Rod is lost. The Rod is found, centuries later, by Malifor.
Well, ASoF provides some powerful magical artefacts, and a heroine that will not vanish from Irdya so easily; maybe the sequels to TLB could feature Svarballi's Soul, the Sea Trident, maybe even Myra herself, reincarnated to save Irdya once again
Let's finish with TLB first, guys. :lol2: We can work out the plots of the other two later. And, yes, Myra and her Trident will be appearing in End of Chaos. She will be leading elementals against Shirzo's capital in the future. She makes quick work out of Zenthos, who flees the battlefield, terrified and weakened (Gioviel destroyed him later.)

Thanks again for showing your interest in the project. :)

Now, to developing matters.

I have taken several ideas and suggestions into consideration, and I'm currently rewriting the plot for E3 and E4.

Some things to be expected:-
  • Ariana will not fall in love with Jahin in this campaign. Although Jahin falls for her, but later 'gets over' it.
  • Prison guards will at first try torturing her a bit, but that is the moment when Jahin shows up. If Jahin was a bit late, then there was to be an attempted rape.
  • Removed Windsong's appearance from TLB (Timeline reasons)
  • Mahir will now appear as a recurring antagonist in TLB-E3, and as a minor boss in E4.
  • Final battle between Jahin and Mor-Inal in E4 finale, since everyone wants it :twisted:
I have edited both the timeline and map to adjust to new conditions:-
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

A hat-trick (exceeded character limit :whistle: )

Mor-Inal's layer inside the Volcano....
Spoiler:
Map-Screenshot_002.png
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:exceeded character limit :whistle:
Why don’t you upload map files as attachments instead of including them inline (with you have been doing without

Code: Select all

tags, which makes it look even worse)?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I was having some thoughts about replacing the barbarians with an organized military system. Then, I could remove the attempted assault scene. What are your views on this?
It's ok, I think... a faction that is not very developed, but which has some level of organization.
Okay, I can coup with that. I have scratch out the part of Jahin meeting Lamisa, the Windsong commander, she and her companions go against the timeline. I have replace them with....(Steppe Orcs/Minotaurs/Rebel Barbarians/Rebels) - pick one.
Well, the Windsong do exist in Jahin's time, but they live isolated in the Utmost North. If you manage to find a reason for any of them to leave their Foundation to fight... Steppe orcs, if I get it right, appeared when the orcs had been occupying the Great Continent for a while already, and in TLB, which happens around Wesnoth's founding, the orcs have just recently found that land, so you could use barbarians or rebels...
Idea :D ! He has Svarballi's soul within him :twisted:
That wouldn't work :cry: if Shirzo had the soul within himself, Svarballi would take over his mind, possess his body, and Jahin would find himself fighting the Sky Dragon :shock: In part III of ASoF (which I'm writing right now) the last enemy "absorbs" the gem, wanting to absorb its power, but he ends up possessed by Svarballi. Now, I'll stop here before I give out more spoilers :-P
Maybe when Prince Varthan was leading his people North, they were beset by Drakes and he and some veterans lead them into the caves, while the main populace escaped. In the caves, Varthan is killed, his Rod is lost. The Rod is found, centuries later, by Malifor.
I actually had an idea, some time ago, to make a spin-off campaign dealing with Varthan's escape north: he'd be harassed along the way by a dragon general, and near the end, he would leave his people in Lins-Elens and search the dragon for a final duel; they would meet in a system of caves near the Heart Mountains, where Varthan would finally unleash the Rod's full power and kill the Dragon, but would die afterwards. The Rod would then be carried way by various cave denizens, until ending up in Malifor's dungeon...
...OR Jahin could find the Rod somewhere else, use it for a while and then lose it somewhere inside Knalga :-D You decide what to do.
Let's finish with TLB first, guys. :lol2: We can work out the plots of the other two later. And, yes, Myra and her Trident will be appearing in End of Chaos. She will be leading elementals against Shirzo's capital in the future. She makes quick work out of Zenthos, who flees the battlefield, terrified and weakened (Gioviel destroyed him later.)
Sorry, my imagination went on a rampage :-P Myra appearing again? Yes! :-D When you decide to include her, tell me; she would not return as a human, but as something else ;-)
I'm looking forward to playing episodes III and IV! :-D

;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Why don’t you upload map files as attachments instead of including them inline (with you have been doing without

Code: Select all

tags, which makes it look even worse)?[/quote]

:doh: How careless of me! Won't happen again... :D 

[quote]It's ok, I think... a faction that is not very developed, but which has some level of organization.[/quote]

Okay, I remember a faction being called the Djondi or something. Perhaps I can use those, if I find them that is. Another alternate would be to introduce some units of Ice Age Fun and A New Order with new IDs and names.

[quote]Well, the Windsong do exist in Jahin's time, but they live isolated in the Utmost North. If you manage to find a reason for any of them to leave their Foundation to fight... Steppe orcs, if I get it right, appeared when the orcs had been occupying the Great Continent for a while already, and in TLB, which happens around Wesnoth's founding, the orcs have just recently found that land, so you could use barbarians or rebels...[/quote]

I have crossed their appearance in TLB, as why the hell would they leave their Foundation to just help a princess. And, I will use barbarians instead. Steppe Orcs will appear in TLB sequel.

[quote]That wouldn't work   if Shirzo had the soul within himself, Svarballi would take over his mind, possess his body, and Jahin would find himself fighting the Sky Dragon   In part III of ASoF (which I'm writing right now) the last enemy "absorbs" the gem, wanting to absorb its power, but he ends up possessed by Svarballi. Now, I'll stop here before I give out more spoilers [/quote]

Shirzo, isn't like other mages, so, he would to be able keep himself under control. Jahin won't be fighting Shirzo as Shirzo's ultimate form appears just momentarily before being taken back to the future.

[quote]I actually had an idea, some time ago, to make a spin-off campaign dealing with Varthan's escape north: he'd be harassed along the way by a dragon general, and near the end, he would leave his people in Lins-Elens and search the dragon for a final duel; they would meet in a system of caves near the Heart Mountains, where Varthan would finally unleash the Rod's full power and kill the Dragon, but would die afterwards. The Rod would then be carried way by various cave denizens, until ending up in Malifor's dungeon...[/quote]

Yeah, maybe you can make a campaign about. And end it with Prince Varthan's people arriving no the Northern Pole of Irdya.

[quote]..OR Jahin could find the Rod somewhere else, use it for a while and then lose it somewhere inside Knalga  You decide what to do.[/quote]

:hmm:  Jahin won't be visiting Wesnoth or Knalga, at least not before 530 YW. So, he won't need to find the Rod, and he won't need it either as he would a rekindled Dragonheart...

[quote]Yes!  When you decide to include her, tell me; she would not return as a human, but as something else 
I'm looking forward to playing episodes III and IV! [/quote]

The final campaign of the trilogy won't be started until TLB and it's sequel would be completed. This could take at least three years, as I'm becoming increasingly busy nowadays...

Okay, I have made a new plot for E3 - though it's only the first half.

[spoiler]After burying Sadia, a council is held. Amorith and her faeries decide to remain in the forest. The desert elves return to aid the dwarves. The wood elves decide to stay in this forest and make this their new home. The wood elves return the Book of Ancients to Jahin, as it has already caused too much chaos. Jahin and the remainder of his army leave towards New Genesis. 

When they return, they find New Genesis as a complete ruin, with chaos units roaming about. They defeat them. They explore the wreckage and find that Affan and most of the population are unharmed as they had hidden themselves within the chambers underneath New Genesis, which were the former home of trolls. Affan explains that it was the Chaos Empire who ransacked through the city and went away with the Dragonheart, and an ancient armor that once belonged to Tegwyn, the first lord of Genesis. The humans start the reconstruction of New Genesis, while Jahin wonders why the Chaos Empire only took those two things. Kraag returns with a massive orcish army and tells that the drakes and orcs have begun the attack on the northern most city of the Dark Legion and they request the aid of the humans. Knowing that New Genesis would need all the available soldiers it could get, Jahin, and Fairuz go North with only a few selected soldiers. The rest of the army stays at New Genesis under the leadership of Ashhab.

A month afterwards, Jahin, Affan and Fairuz and seven loyal soldiers arrive at Del-Rook - The legion's northern city and assembly-point of their northern flank. Kojac, Gashinar and their armies are also there, and they are in the middle of a battle. Jahin and his friends join in. The battle is won, and Del-Rook is burned to the ground. A council is held outside the city. Kojac suggests that they continue with the assault, as the scouts report that the southern city is low on troops as most were sent to the south and east to battle against the Imperials. Gashinar disagrees as the capital city, Sel-Korn, is a heavily fortified fortress. Fairuz suggests that a selected few of the humans will infiltrate the castle, disguise themselves, and assassinate the King. Jahin refuses, as the allies will be conquering the city with brute force anyway. The council is interrupted by a human mage, Mullyra, who asks the leaders if they would spare a few troops to aid her friend, Princess Afrin, in her battle against her treacherous aunt. Jahin, seeing a chance to gain yet another ally accepts to accompany her with his troops. But, Fairuz is persistent on going through with the infiltration. It is finally decided that Fairuz, Affan and Jahin will try to infiltrate the city while Kojac and Gashinar will distract the enemy forces. Jahin tells Mullyra that he will help her when he is done with his mission. Mullyra is grateful and says that she will wait. Kojac volunteers to help her as well.

Early the following day, the allies start their march and reach the outskirts of the city before dusk of the third day. The legion is busy defending their city from the Imperials who are attacking from the South and East. Elementals under the command of a mysterious mage (later revealed to a resurrection of Mahir) are also present. As the allies are distracting the enemies, Jahin spots a mountain beside which the city is situated and notices a mine entrance. Knowing that he has found a way in, he signals Fairuz and they start to approach the entrance. As they reach the entrance, Jahin, Fairuz and Affan descend leaving their troops to guard their escape. They arrive at the other side, and see two suits of armor lying about. A game of straw-drawing is played, then Fairuz and Affan don the armor and Jahin stays to guard the entrance, as he drew the shortest straw. Fairuz and Affan easily blend in with the crowd and make their way into the castle. Here, at the castle they make their way into the throne-room and see that the emperor is too well guarded and decide to retreat. Just at that moment an elite guard approaches them and orders them to guard the princess. Having no other options, they accept. While guarding princess Shifti, the princess continuously talks away about the fact they she would like to leave the city and explore the land. Fairuz, seeing that this could an opportunity to earn a friend, takes off his helmet and reveals his true identity. The princess is at first shocked, but after Fairuz explains their cause and why they were fighting the legions, the princess has a change of heart and decides to join them. As they are about to escape, they hear the alarm and soldiers coming after them, and they start to run. They hastily reach the mountain entrance, but are ambushed by a Dark Terror. The Terror falls dead, as Jahin beheads him from behind, and the heroes escape. The heroes resurface, and return to the ally camp, not before slaying off Xina, the queen of the naga, who was leading the naga herself. The allies then retreat.

Gashinar returns to his kingdom to silence a rebellion, but sends a fraction of his army to New Genesis as the city needs more soldiers to defend it. Jahin and the rest march with Kojac's army to meet Mullyra.

They meet Mullyra and also encounter the Northmen. Jahin also manages to befriend a wolf, which he names Balto (showing my respect to the Alaskan legend). A battle ensues, with the orcs being victorious. Mullyra asks Kojac to march straight towards the central city, while she leads Jahin to meet Afrin. Kojac and his orcs march towards the Northwest, while Jahin and the rest go west. Jahin arrives at a city and meets Afrin, and her band of rebels. They led a joint attack on the enemy, but this ends with Jahin and his troops being ambushed and taken prisoners.

A week passes by in the cold northern prison. By good fortune, Jahin manages to trick a guard and escape. He frees Fairuz from his cells, but as they are about to free the others, Jahin hears a cry for help and they rush towards the noise. They enter a cell, and find that three guards are about to torture a girl, no older than Jahin. Seeing this act of atrocity, Jahin beheads a guard from behind and then a fight ensues. Jahin and Fairuz triumph and free the girl. The girl introduces herself as Ariana, a mage and explorer. The trio then explore the prison and free the rest, and retreat Southwards. They arrive at the central city, and find that Kojac. and Afrin are fighting the royalists. They join Kojac's group and successfully enter the castle. Most of the castle is deserted, as majority of the soldiers are outside. They make their way into the throne room and fight Queen Ysura, and her undead minions. They slay the queen, and are victorious. Afrin, now Queen, awards Jahin with the Resurrection Stone and explains its use (He may use to resurrect a person who had died an unnatural death). Jahin offers her to fight for the Alliance, but she declines, as her people had been through too many wars already. Some rebel soldiers, having witnessed Jahin's bravery in the battle decide to accompany him. (Just four loyals, three on hard.)

Jahin and the group return with Kojac to his lands, and after staying a few days, they return to New Genesis. Once inside, they find that the majority of the dwarven population are there. When asked, about their presence, they answer that The Chaos Empire had taken their home. King Glamatus and his personal guards stayed behind to stall the attackers. The dwarven speaker also implies that the elves are safe as the eastern gate was collapsed when the majority of the populace had escaped. Jahin offers the dwarves to stay at New Genesis. The dwarves happily accept and enter the catacombs underneath the city.

A few days later, an old friend of Jahin arrives in New Genesis. Jahin is shocked to see Mahir as a living being again. Before Jahin could order his men to get Mahir, Mahir starts making a speech which brings out Jahin's recklessness as a leader and finally offers sanctuary to the humans who would side with him and against Jahin. The majority of the Populace and three-fifths of the New Genesis Army join Mahir. Jahin faces a mutiny, but is guided by Shifti and Fairuz to gather his loyal troops and face Mahir in a one-on-one battle North of New Genesis. Jahin is the victor, but Mahir teleports away at the last moment. A fortnight after the mutiny. New Genesis is besieged by a massive elemental army led by Jalin- now, an undead knight under the command of Mor-Inal - and Mahir. Mahir demands Jahin's surrender, but Jahin refuses, saying that the Mahir that was facing him today was not the Mahir he knew as a best friend. The battle soon follows.  Jahin decides to use the Stone  of Resurrection to revive Jalin, as he meets the proper conditions for revival. Jahin fights his way through elementals and with the help of Ariana, Shifti and Ashhab, manage to bring Jalin under control. The Stone of Resurrection is used and Jalin returns to his former self. He is also granted immortality, but it is the same as Jahin - no regeneration or immunity. The elemental army disappears and Mahir escapes again.

While celebrating their victory, Jahin announces to everyone that a war council must be held again. And he sends Kraag, and two gryphon riders to the Allied leaders. The next two weeks are relatively quiet, and the messengers return along with Kojac, Krog, Gashinar, and Sedoc. Tidings are exchanged, and the Alliance of Light is found. An all-out assault on the vampires is planned. The orcs and trolls will keep the  Chaos Empire at bay, while the drakes and saurians will defend New Genesis, and assist the Aragwaithi in the northern flanks. The dwarves, humans, and a faction of the orcish army would attack the twin vampire cities.

The battle at the Twin Cities is won with the help of a slave rebellion. Jahin then addresses the freed slaves and they immediately join his cause. The cities are burnt to the ground and Affan returns to New Genesis with a few troops and the freed civilians. The Alliance leaders then send scouts, and after a day , the scouts return. The vampire capital is located on an island directly eastwards, the vampire fortress of (insert name here), and there is a city southeast of their location. Jahin decides that the island city would be difficult to overcome, as his army couldn't sail ships, so he plans to attack the northern vampire fort.

When the alliance arrives there, the vampire fort is already being attacked by the Aragwaithi. drakes and saurians. The vampire fort is overwhelmed and their leader surrenders. Jahin remembers the commanding officer well (it was the same blood-sucking vampire that killed his mother) and instead of ordering the his men to stand down, gives the order of destroying the fortress. The orcs and dwarves join in the attack. Sedoc finds this act of revenge irrelevant to his people and leaves the battlefield, saying that his men could use a break. The fort is decimated...

The allied leaders now plan to attack the southernmost vampire city. This involves marching through a marshland. Sedoc's army is left to guard the ruins of the twin cities from vampire ships, while the rest of alliance marches southeast. While traveling through the swamp they are attacked again by Mahir and his elemental-undead army. The allies repel the army, Mahir escapes yet again. The drakes and saurians have suffered heavy casualties and head back to their respective homes.

The human, orcish and dwarven armies attack the southernmost city. The city is filled with vampires and the allies were gradually losing. The tides are turned as Galec, Amorith and General (Elvish name) - a southern elf commander arrive with their armies. The city falls and ends with the death of Princess Solita - youngest of the High Methusalem's children. Jahin frees the slaves and Kojac orders the city to be burnt down.

Victorious, the return to the ruins of the twin cities and held council. Kraag is sent to New Genesis, Gartok, and Cytos, to report the progress of the Alliance. Sedoc offers his men as sailors. So, the allies board the ships and set sail towards the vampire capital. After a day, they arrive at the capital's harbor and immediately conquer it, catching the vampires by surprise. An epic battle ensues, neither side giving way. Jahin manages to interrogate a vampire captain and finds out the vampire High Methusalem is underneath the city. He notices a trapdoor, and enters it, followed by Fairuz, Jalin, Ashhab, Ariana, Balto, and a few human troops. Shifty stays above to command the human army.

While exploring, the underground catacombs, Jahin, Balto and Ariana get separated from the rest by accidentally pressing a hidden button. Failing to blast away the barrier, Ariana suggests that they exploring further. During their exploration they find two pendants, that could protect them for any ancient magic spells (especially the ones used by Mor-Inal and Shirzo). Although these pendants do not grant protection from fireballs, ice balls, or cold tempests, or shadow tempests. Ariana tells Jahin about her immortality. Jahin returns with the same answer, surprising Ariana. Jahin also accidentally blunders something and makes Ariana suspect that Jahin likes her. Jahin also finds another Immortality potion. He finds an empty bowl, and gives Balto, a third of the potion to drink, as he was feeling thirsty. Jahin decides to save the rest for his friends.

Exploring further, they enter the throne-room and find that the fighting has already began. Jahin, Ariana, and Balto join in.The High Methusalem transforms into his ultimate form and the real battle begins. The vampire king manages to strike Jahin with his tail. Jahin is flung across the room and hits the wall, shattering the vial containing the potion. Jahin recovers, but is helpless to watch the magical liquid get absorbed by the cave floor. In the end, the vampire king is vanquished by Ashhab, who manages to summon a light-beam equal to the intensity of Sela (Irdya's sun). The heroes resurface and find that the battle still going on. Jahin asks as the vampires to surrender as the king is dead. Hearing this, most vampire lords board ships in the eastern harbor and sail away eastwards. Princess Silvana - eldest offspring of the High Methusalem. surrenders and vows that as long as she reigned, no vampire would leave this island ever again. Jahin is hesitant, but later allows Silvana to live and forgives the vampires for the destruction. Fairuz, confused, asks Jahin why he let the vampires live. Jahin replies that it is better to forgive and forget, implying that he had become a wiser leader after Shifti's teachings.[/spoiler]

Explanations of some events:-
[list][*] [quote]Jahin also manages to befriend a wolf, which he names Balto (showing my respect to the Alaskan legend).[/quote]

I enjoyed watching all the movies about Balto, back in my youth. So, I gave him a part in my campaign. He would also serve as a hero in the sequel. Hence, his immortality.

[*] [quote]While exploring, the underground catacombs, Jahin, Balto and Ariana get separated from the rest by accidentally pressing a hidden button. Failing to blast away the barrier, Ariana suggests that they exploring further.[/quote]

The new vampire capital is an island, so a tremor would cause the chamber to be submerged, killing all the heroes. This was a workaround.

[*][quote] The vampire king manages to strike Jahin with his tail. Jahin is flung across the room and hits the wall, shattering the vial containing the potion. Jahin recovers, but is helpless to watch the magical liquid get absorbed by the cave floor.[/quote]

I had to find a way to get rid of the excess potion...

[*] [quote]In the end, the vampire king is vanquished by Ashhab, who manages to summon a light-beam equal to the intensity of Sela (Irdya's sun). [/quote]

Vampires, in many legends and stories, portray a general weakness to sunlight. In the Wesnoth universe they get weaker during the day, but do not burn. So, I thought vampires were tolerant to the intensity of sunlight that reached Irdya. That's why Ashhab summons the light beam. The High Methusalem is reduced to ashes.

[*][quote] Jahin asks as the vampires to surrender as the king is dead. Hearing this, most vampire lords board ships in the eastern harbor and sail away eastwards. Princess Silvana - eldest offspring of the High Methusalem. surrenders and vows that as long as she reigned, no vampire would leave this island ever again.[/quote]

When I first wrote the draft for the entire plot of TLB, everything was messed up and disorganized. The campaign was only 30 scenarios long. The surrendering of the vampires was included in the first ever plot. (Then again, in the first plot, there were dark elves instead of vampires). So, I've included this to make a part of the first plot still remain in the campaign.[/list]