Second Wesnothian Civil War + Kalenz' fate

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Second Wesnothian Civil War + Kalenz' fate

Post by revansurik »

Hi folks! I am planning on making a campaign placed at Wesnoth (since my other one doesn't), and I'm thinking about telling of the Second Wesnothian Civil War, which, according to the wiki, happens after Konrad II's death, but I have a few questions: first and most importantly, does any campaign already tell of that event? If not, how much information there is on the event?

Another question I have is: what exactly has befallen Kalenz' after HttT? I know that he leaves Wesnoth and is never again seen there, but is it told anywhere about what happens to him, more specifically his date of death? Because I was thinking on briefly including him in my campaign.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Kanzil

Re: Second Wesnothian Civil War + Kalenz' fate

Post by Kanzil »

I am not exactly sure about when Kalenz died, however during HttT, he was ancient beyond belief; he came out of his second retirement to aid Konrad. If you include him in you campaign it couldn't, probably, be set too long after, and I doubt he'd be able to do much fighting. I can find only one campaign: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ar#p363651. I wouldn't base it around this, so I think you have near free reign, as this is very much a dark age of Wesnoth's history.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I am not exactly sure about when Kalenz died, however during HttT, he was ancient beyond belief; he came out of his second retirement to aid Konrad. If you include him in you campaign it couldn't, probably, be set too long after, and I doubt he'd be able to do much fighting.
Well, he was what, 600 years old when he helped Konrad? This campaign of mine would be set in 697 YW; in my imagination, Kalenz would already be knocking on death's door, and indeed, he wouldn't fight, only counsel the heroes and unleash some blasts of faerie fire :-P
I can find only one campaign: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ar#p363651. I wouldn't base it around this, so I think you have near free reign, as this is very much a dark age of Wesnoth's history.
Was this campaign, Kingdom's End, cancelled? I haven't found it in either the 1.11 or the 1.10 servers...
Well, my campaign would be set in the first years of the second civil war, but before the invasion of the Akladians; as I'm sketching it now, there are 3 Houses, all of which descend from Garardine kings, which are vying for the throne, and thus the kingdom is split into 3 spheres of influence. Overall, I'm seeking to tell of how Wesnoth decayed after the Silver Age: with Weldyn weakened by Mal-Ravanal's attack, other Wesnothian cities grow and gain influence; this also weakened the central government, consequently empowering other lords, thus giving rise to countless intrigues; banditry grew exponentially, and the common people, neglected by the government and threatened by criminality, started moving to the lands of the Northern Union in search for a better life. I suppose neither of this clash with any established information, right?
PS.: I also intend of making a Kalifate invasion later on the campaign; I never played the campaigns involving the barbarians' occupation of Wesnoth, but for what I've read, it was around that time that they first started knoking on Wesnoth's frontiers, right?

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

You should definitely play through Szopen's campaign ( A New Order) documenting the Akladian invasion. And as far as I'm aware the khalifate don't invade Wesnoth, and as it would be a pretty major event in Wesnothian history, maybe it should be more a raid or incursion.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, in my campaign the Khalifate would make an attack that would seriously threaten the weakened Wesnoth, but the main hero would manage to repel them before they can truly invade the country.
About this campaign, is it A New Order? I suppose I can only download it from the 1.10 server?
EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't seen you had said the campaign's name already, I read to quickly :oops:

;-)
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

revansurik wrote:Hi folks! I am planning on making a campaign placed at Wesnoth (since my other one doesn't), and I'm thinking about telling of the Second Wesnothian Civil War, which, according to the wiki, happens after Konrad II's death, but I have a few questions: first and most importantly, does any campaign already tell of that event? If not, how much information there is on the event?
Restoration of Wesnoth is a very old campaign (1.0) about chaos following Mal Ravanal's invasion, but it isn't even on the add-ons server, only archive.org. You probably don't need to worry about it.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Restoration of Wesnoth seems to be placed during Konrad II's reign anyway; A New Order, by its turn, happens after Wesnoth's invasion, my campaign would happen between both and, like I imagine it now, would match perfectly ANO's decriptions of Wesnoth's decay :-D
Thanks all for the advices!

;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Playing through Legend of Wesmere, Delfador's Memoirs, and Heir to the Throne, made me wonder. Is Kalenz immortal or just en elf who has a prolonged lifespan? There was another campaign in 1.8 (Journey to the East) that included the Elven lord after Heir to the Throne. It was never finished though.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

His lifespan has been prolonged after he drank that invisibility potion in LoW, the one made from the eyes of a lich. It also seems to have preserved his strength, since he was still healthy enough to fight across Wesnoth at the ripe ae of 500 something (HttT) :-P

;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

revansurik wrote:His lifespan has been prolonged after he drank that invisibility potion in LoW, the one made from the eyes of a lich. It also seems to have preserved his strength, since he was still healthy enough to fight across Wesnoth at the ripe ae of 500 something (HttT) :-P
518 YW to be exact. I remember of there was also another campaign about Kalenz after the Fall. He mysterious arrived in a weird place called Tir-Na-Org. There, he was placed in an enchanted sleep that caused him to sleep for over a thousand years. He is awaken again by faeries, as the elves of Irdya need him once more. The author (I think it was Big Kahuna) made just one incomplete scenario. I think the campaign's name was Hero of Irdya (Oh, wait I have to change my sequel then :doh: )
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
rmj

Post by rmj »

Heir to the Throne ends with "Kalenz returned to his home in the North and never again returned to the lands of men."
rmj
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

revansurik wrote:His lifespan has been prolonged after he drank that invisibility potion in LoW, the one made from the eyes of a lich. It also seems to have preserved his strength, since he was still healthy enough to fight across Wesnoth at the ripe ae of 500 something (HttT) :-P
manual wrote:Few differences between humans and elves are more pronounced than the Elves’ unusually long life — most, unless claimed by illness, accident or war, live a full two and a half centuries. While some elves possessing a high magical aptitude have been known to live an additional full century, most elves begin to grow physically frail at some point between 250 and 300 years of age and pass away rapidly (generally within a year or two) thereafter.
The "being able to fight" part is not unusual unless he's about to keel over. (like Velon in LoW)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Speaking of elves' lifespan, I have a bit off-topic question: doesn't Anlindë from IftU live for over 700 years - according to the Future History timeline? How does she manage to live so much?

;-)
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

@revansurik: Whre did you get this from? if it's mentioned in IftU, I overread it.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Future timeline: around 1899 YW, the battle against Zhangor happens, ad Anlindë was already alive then, though young. 700 years later, the desert elves found Quenoth; times later, they would go north and reach Zocthanol island, and times later, the Valley of Elynia would be attacked (beginning of IftU). Anlindë, by this time, would be actually more than 700 years old, if I didn't screwed the math...
EDIT: I forgot the link to the future timeline...

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Future_History

;-)