Working on a Wesnoth Novel - discussion of details

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

macxcool

Working on a Wesnoth Novel - discussion of details

Post by macxcool »

My 14-year old is working on a novel based in Wesnoth. He'd like to discuss characters, scenes, race details etc. if anyone's interested.
This started at http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38282
I think it makes more sense to continue it here.
I had an idea that magi are only slightly different from humans, and therefore can and have married humans.
So most humans have at least a drop or two of mage blood in them, maybe giving them slightly enhanced physical attributes, like strength, agility, longer life or better senses.
The idea being that if a person with mage blood in them, marries someone who also has some mage blood, sometimes their child will have a varying talent for magic. This talent would remain dormant until awakened, by a shock, or maybe something as simple as being exposed to magic.
I'm sorry if I ramble, I have an extremely vivid imagination.

Isaac
Elfarion

Re: Working on a Wesnoth Novel - discussion of details

Post by Elfarion »

This sounds fine, since it's the most common concept of magic in fantasy literature, where magi are extraordinary humans but still humans.
I would gladly offer my support on this project. I'm writing too, although it's no fantasy anymore. But I'm still interested in the genre.
Last edited by Elfarion on February 6th, 2013, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hi,

I'm a bit of an aspiring writer myself, so I'd also love to help out if I can.

I like this interpretation of the Magi, fixes some of the problems of the old idea that Dixie had pointed out. And, as Elfarion said, it is tried and true. ^_^
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
johndh

Post by johndh »

I've seen no indication that magi are of a different race than regular humans, that magic is genetic, or that magical talent is different from any other talent. I think of it the same way as musical aptitude. Just about anyone can pick up the very basics, and with some practice they can cast a "smoke on the water" spell fairly well, but some people are just naturally much more talented. Maybe their senses are more attuned to the flow of magic, or maybe their brains are just adapted to magical learning, but for some reason they can pick up the skills much more easily. This means that just about everyone has some kind of magical potential, but in a world where most people are struggling just to survive, their time is better spent farming, hammering iron into horseshoes, or learning to put sharp things into fleshy things, so only the wealthy have the means or opportunity to learn any magic, and a lowly peasant's ability stays unfostered and undiscovered unless a wandering mage is looking for an apprentice and feels like working pro bono. Add onto that that the only established magical learning institution is Alduin, and getting into there is probably the equivalent of getting into Juilliard.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I agree with johndh on disliking the human magi being genetic, mostly of two reasons:
  • I don't like the idea that somebody is better just because of their bloodline. It reminds me of how Nazis considered some humans to be more pure than others. Please don't get me wrong , I don't accuse the OP of being racist, I just don't like the idea of some people special snowflakes without any hard work. For example I also dislike how in DM Delfador is told in the opening cutscene (!) that he will become the greatest mage ever before his training is complete (what do the oracles tell those magi, who are going to be atttacked by ulfs? :) )
  • There is also the fact that multiple other species use magic too, with (AFAIK) no mention of it being genetic (though in the case of merfolk and elves there seem to be some gender restrictions). You could say that many of those races (e.g. Elves or Trolls) are more "magical" than humans, but even then Saurians have same arcane resistance as humans (implying that they are equally "mundane") and can use magic with ease.
Add onto that that the only established magical learning institution is Alduin
That said, besides the officially trained magi, there are various illegal human magic users, namely Necromancers and the Shadow Magi (seen in Liberty). This actually strenghten the point that anybody can learn magic with proper training. The official wizard schools might screen background of their applicants, but a random traveling Dark sorcerer should be probably grateful for any adept who isn't trying to back-stab him, let alone check their genealogy.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

To play devil's advocate, mages are weaker than normal humans in terms of defense and HP, so it could be a genetic condition- where are the big tough mages if anyone can learn magic? I like the idea of a sort of genetic anamoly making a person very strong in one area yet weaker in others. This already happens in reality, things like testosterone levels, having aspergers, etc. can affect a person's mind and body. This is no different.
wolkenwand

Post by wolkenwand »

well, small people who train regularly will have strong build and tall people who never train will have frail body and vice versa. I prefer the idea magic can be learn by every human, like someone said before its like learn how to play music. Magic genes is interesting too, just like in eragon, but that concept is too cliche and not fresh.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

where are the big tough mages if anyone can learn magic?
Magi can get the "strong" and/or "resilient" trait too :D (Dark Adepts can't get "strong" because they don't have melee attack, but they can still get "resilient" and if you recruit Dark Sorcerers in Age of Heroes they can get "strong"). Also Liberty has the Shadow Magi who have ranged magic attack, but are better in melee. Therefore I agree with wolkenwand that standart Magi being weak physically is more matter of lack of physical training than genes.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Telchin wrote:Magi being weak physically is more matter of lack of physical training than genes.
Absolutely. Your average Wesnothian gets a fair bit of physical conditioning from handling cattle, tending crops, swinging hammers, and all the other things that peasantfolk do in their daily lives, whereas magi stay cooped up inside reading books. Also, as far as dark magi go, their craft takes a toll on their bodies, leaving them sickly and scrawny.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.