Names of Demon Lords?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Names of Demon Lords?

Post by Dugi »

I want to add a piece of story about demons to my campaign, so I would like to know what about demons is told in other campaigns to avoid lore clashes.

All I know is that in UtBS, an archdemon named Zhangor (or Yanqui, in older versions) existed, and caused the doom of Wesmere. Also Yechnagoth or Uria was mentioned.
In IftU, it was mentioned that there was ten original archdemons, from which some were slain. Uria and Zhangor survived it for sure.
I would like to know if Uria was the same thing as Yechnagoth, or if Yechnagoth was only a servant of Uria or whether it was different...

What I think that might be in the plot in my campaign - four demons from the former ten still exist. There are also lesser demons, that are belligerent and numerous. The names of the surviving four are Zhangor, Uria (is Yechnagoth a synonym?), Lilith (I mentioned a demon lord named Lilith before, but it might be just one of her names, if something clashes) and Lightbringer (symbol of a good being fallen into evil, this one's name can be changed at will, it is not related to anything).

So, can somebody who has played a lot of campaigns tell me whether this is in accord with other UMC campaigns or what should I change to avoid clashes?
revansurik

Re: Names of Demon Lords?

Post by revansurik »

Well, in IftU it is said that Yechnagoth was actually Merthiaal, a sister of Uria and one of the original ten, so they're different beings. That's what I can tell for sure; besides, I think that, judging from the IftU lore, the original ten weren't all evil, since Eloh seems to be included amongst them. And there is another of the original who created Gatekeepers to watch over the entrance to Inferno, Uria's realm.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Can't really help with lore, but 'Lilith' immediately reminds me of the bible; I don't think we should do that.
I have a cunning plan.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Well, in IftU it is said that Yechnagoth was actually Merthiaal, a sister of Uria and one of the original ten, so they're different beings.
Hm, I must have remembered it really badly...
That's what I can tell for sure; besides, I think that, judging from the IftU lore, the original ten weren't all evil, since Eloh seems to be included amongst them.
They were not all evil, but something corrupted Yarae and also the original ten became corrupted and Eloh was created as a creature to counter the demons., I am perfectly sure this was said in IftU.
And there is another of the original who created Gatekeepers to watch over the entrance to Inferno, Uria's realm.
Wait, but Inferno was the realm where all demons became, Uria didn't rule it... Uria's realm was just a part of Inferno therefore, no? But I haven't played AtS yet, I don't really know what was said and what happened there.
Can't really help with lore, but 'Lilith' immediately reminds me of the bible; I don't think we should do that.
Lilith was a Sumerian goddess of death, pestilence, and I don't know what else, just a bad being, and she was taken into bible as a demon (because all the important pagan gods were taken into Bible as demons, false gods, and I don't know what else - but because Lilith was always cosidered evil, she didn't deserve anything else than being taken as a demon there).
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

The name "Lilith" does not appear in the Bible.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

But she did exist in the Christian lore for sure, I have no idea if she was or wasn't in Bible, I haven't read more than two pages of Bible (and I am an atheist).

Can can we please stop arguing about Lilith in mythology and stay on topic? I would like to know about those demons in Wesnoth lore.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

You could also use Lilitu, which is another former of Lillith, just to avoid further confusion ;-)
Now, returning to the topic: someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but in AtS Uria is said - or at least hinted - to be the supreme ruler of the demons;
Spoiler:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You could also use Lilitu, which is another former of Lillith, just to avoid further confusion
I wrote the part with Lilith two years ago, I won't edit that retrospectively...

So, Uria is the biggest boss of the demons, and there are also some other demons, from which two demon lords are not so evil, like that Elorran and that Lord of Storm. If that's all, then okay and thank you.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Lilith is fine, don't change it. Lilitu sucks! Just read it and feel that pronounciation...ugh... :augh:

Zhangor is a very lame name as well. I have never liked this name.

I would suggest you to do it traditionally, use ancient greek gods' name as demon lords names. It is really cool. Or you can use norse demons' name. They sound cool as well.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dugi wrote:What I think that might be in the plot in my campaign - four demons from the former ten still exist. There are also lesser demons, that are belligerent and numerous. The names of the surviving four are Zhangor, Uria (is Yechnagoth a synonym?), Lilith (I mentioned a demon lord named Lilith before, but it might be just one of her names, if something clashes) and Lightbringer (symbol of a good being fallen into evil, this one's name can be changed at will, it is not related to anything).
Within the AtS canon the only two from the original ten who continue to exist in a way are Merthiaal/Yechnagoth and the let-us-pretend-she-is-unnamed-in-the-meantime-although-she-does-have-a-name-since-ages Guardian of Existence from which the purportedly non-sentient Gatekeepers were born.
AtS spoilers:
tl;dr Demon Lords are one thing and the guardians are a completely different thing or set thereof.

Also, the name Lilith occurs in IftU exactly once as a generic name.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Because my story is supposed to happen long after AtS, I should make it start approximately as AtS ended.

So, I would make the hierarchy in Inferno described by a sage like this (intentionally, some less important facts were confused):
An ancient sage wrote:These monsters we face are demons. They are not very numerous right now, so they are disguised as normal people...

A group of ten demons was originally created by Yarae the Arcane Lord, as arbiters in a lengthy war between light and darkness. After some time, Yarae decided to use his power for evil purposes, and the demons became evil. This was one of the rare occasions when darkness united with light, so it is suspected that this collaboration was in what Yarae wanted to achieve. They defeated the demons and made the survivors good again. After some time, Yarae managed to corrupt some of them again, and taught them how to create lesser demons. That was eons ago, and today, it is said that only one of the evil demons survived. The demon's name is Uria. Uria was formerly the leader of the original ten demons, so she is the most powerful of them probably. She also created a lot of lesser demons, the strongest of them are probably Zhangor, who corrupted the elves in Wesmere, or Lilith, who is said to have done something like that long before...

So, because the lesser demons are powered by Uria, if you manage to disconnect these demons from her, she will become much stronger, but the demons will become as strong as mortals, but because they were used to use the power of Uria, they will be completely harmless for some time. Killing Uria or Yarae should stop the thread the demons cause for good, but I do not think that even gods can do that.
Would this be okay or it will need some corrections?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Assuming your intention is to follow the IftU/AtS canon... well... I’ll be more direct since I’m in a hurry.

Have you played/read AtS up to E3S5 (Pass of Sorrows)?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

If you suppose following this self-appointed "canon" is fine, I would be willing to see how would it end. :)
(↓ You have been a super snop by braging your frumpy campaigns and its clownish settings for a really long time, Dr.Unprofessional ↓)
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on November 18th, 2012, 9:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

AxalaraFlame wrote:[snop]
Yes.

Now let’s go back to the topic.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Have you played/read AtS up to E3S5 (Pass of Sorrows)?
Yeah. A demoness who was not evil came and said something I don't wanna spoil to others here.
Because of it, I have a bit changed it so that their only enemy is Uria and various lesser demons, her creations.
Assuming your intention is to follow the IftU/AtS canon...
I want to avoid clashes with other campaigns, and especially with the most popular one (200000 total downloads was never bested).