Names of Demon Lords?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Names of Demon Lords?

Post by Iris »

Dugi wrote:Yeah. A demoness who was not evil came and said something I don't wanna spoil to others here.
I think everyone knows that this topic is full of spoilers by now. But the demoness doesn’t say a lot; it is the story text that actually matters in this particular case, and the character in charge of providing it since E3S4 (Outpost of Hell/Gateway) is someone else.
Spoiler:
Anyway, I had a longer answer prepared before I decided to switch the focus of my previous on-topic post, so here it goes.
Dugi wrote:So, I would make the hierarchy in Inferno described by a sage like this (intentionally, some less important facts were confused):
An ancient sage wrote:These monsters we face are demons. They are not very numerous right now, so they are disguised as normal people...
I thought I would note here a few things about shapeshifter demons and demons in general.
Spoiler:
An ancient sage wrote:A group of ten demons was originally created by Yarae the Arcane Lord, as arbiters in a lengthy war between light and darkness. After some time, Yarae decided to use his power for evil purposes, and the demons became evil.
Spoiler:
This is a lot of information and I could really go for paragraphs and paragraphs, but that’s what the rest of AtS E3 will be for, really; although I generally feel more comfortable using and abusing the flow of the campaign narrative to deliver information in a more orderly and riddle-y fashion than a bland forum post.

You can choose to do whatever you wish with this information. I’m not going to enforce a minimum degree of obfuscation, although I personally find backstory more enjoyable when it requires some careful reading and thought to piece together, which is why AtS deviates from IftU in that sense. In fact, I don’t intend to enforce any degree of compliance to my canon either, because I have my own plans for it and they may turn out to be entirely orthogonal to whatever people had in mind. Not to mention that it’s deliberately incompatible with mainline at this point.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Because this is actually a spoiler to events I plan to write in my campaign, I will place it into a spoiler.
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dugi wrote:I needed to know the names of important powers there
I would definitely advise making up new names. A lot can happen in such a long time, and the Demon Lords succession system works on a “you kill it, you bought it” basis for most races. Their natural lifespans are also supposed to vary wildly owing to the vastly dissimilar backgrounds of their First Cycle forefathers — I could see the more human-like demons living for a hundred years at most, Ixthala imps and the so far unnamed serpent ‘god’ worshipers might not live more than thirty in average, whereas stormkind, shapeshifters, and other faerie-derived races may be ridiculously long-lived.
Again, guardians:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I would definitely advise making up new names...
Okay, this should make many things much easier.