Eldred's Tale

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lanval

Eldred's Tale

Post by Lanval »

Wall of Text Introduction/Explaination:
Spoiler:
Current Thoughts on the Campaign;
Spoiler:
Any and all comments are welcome.

Act I, Scene I: The Call North
Spoiler:
Act I, Scene II: Hurdleford
Spoiler:
Modernized Version
Spoiler:
Last edited by Lanval on October 18th, 2012, 6:40 am, edited 29 times in total.
Flameslash

Re: Eldred's Tale

Post by Flameslash »

This is really good. It flows well and is written in a way that gives it a medieval feel whilst still being easy to understand. I doubt a peasent would doubt the prince's strategies, but other than that it's all good.
Lanval

Post by Lanval »

Edited it a little bit to fix it. Thanks for pointing that bit out.

Act I Scene III: The Elven Woods
Spoiler:
Modernized Version
Spoiler:
Last edited by Lanval on October 18th, 2012, 1:49 am, edited 10 times in total.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

This is all good, keep it up.
Lanval

Post by Lanval »

Act I: Scene IV: The Queen's Manor
Spoiler:
Modernized
Spoiler:
Last edited by Lanval on October 17th, 2012, 9:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I'm confused. Did Delfador actually attack Asheviere's mansion?
Lanval

Post by Lanval »

Yes, the last two missions in Delfador's Memoirs invovle retrieving a book based off the One Ring from the Queen's Manor, using elven soldiers [and possibly Kalenz]. The main condition for defeat in the first mission is the arrival of reinforcements, which here consists of Eldred.

Delfador's motivation from Eldred's point of view is unclear and can be taken as proof of treason and Delfador's desire to hold more power over the throne. I regret removing Kalenz's line that "there is more than one ruler on the throne" since it fits the theme brilliantly but the rest of that conversation would have required rationalization on Eldred's part which while doable would have made a long cut scene longer. I'm a bit disappointed by Asheviere's own absence in this; She has a major role yet but I couldn't fit her into the scene without making it even longer [She would have only made it into the scene in the throne room and I would have felt bad undercutting the King's authority using her and the generals].
Last edited by Lanval on September 28th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
Lanval

Post by Lanval »

Act II, Scene I: The Battle of Hurdle Ford
Spoiler:
I'm hoping the introduction here doesn't seem too far out of left field, but I do intend to use her again. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Part of me is considering cutting her all together, but I am still weighing how the story may go.

Comments on Poetry would also be appreciated as I'm not overly confident in my experiment with Sestina in the last installment but it feels like a very mathematical and abstract style that would attract the elves on technical merit which I feel the other species would be less interested in.
Last edited by Lanval on October 17th, 2012, 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

I don't know if you've heard of "A Seed of Evil" for 1.0, but the first two scenarios give Eldred's side of the story about the death of his father and showdown with Delfador. This campaign had its admirers, but has never been ported. However, it fits in with your project of giving a pro-Eldred spin to these events. You might want to look at it; the old code won't run, of course, but since you're only doing story text right now, not WML, that's not important.

As for your writing, I think you're overdoing it with the "Ye Olde Englishe" dialogue. I would take ESR's advice in the Campaign How-To, to use archaisms sparingly to spice up dialogue, not overwhelm it.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Lanval

Post by Lanval »

I find the Ealde Aenglisc fun to mess with, I was kind of hoping to hit a middle ground of modernization that it'd be easier to read than Shakespeare while still showing the influence but I was worried that I might have overdone it... I'll rewrite and tone down what I have before the next update. Originally it was meant to be exclusive to the court but at this point even the peasant's speech isn't much simplified. Is Oweor a bit more comprehensible? I kept some of the points of olden dialogue with him but phrased it in a modern sense, though I worry that doesn't work since sounds odd sometimes since the topic and sentance content is taken from a different kind of English.

Had a look at The Seed of Evil on your advice. Some of it is formatting making it hard to read but it seems odd... The thread I found it in described it as going off on a tangent after the second mission but even the first two seem a little bizarre. It feels like Gollum is cheering on in the background and I think it claims that Eldred just attacks his Father's forces to earn his respect while the Gollum fellow is the one who actually kills him? I might consider using the name should I find the need to have a questionable adviser but outside of that I don't think I want to follow in its footsteps much.

Here is a rewrite tilted more towards Modern Text [With Asheviere worked in] edited into the original post, how is this compared to the original?

Is it better? Worse? Not far enough?
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Firstly, that is a near perfect amount of archaism-it has that high fantasy feel to it whilst remaining accessible to people who may have a lesser grasp of English. Your lyrical,poetic style portrays this era very well.
However, the easiest way to create a sense of period is to use slightly irregular syntax, with the occasional unfamiliar archaic word mixed in- usually one that isn't central to the sentence.

Also, "fey" is with an "e" not an "a".
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Lanval

Post by Lanval »

Thank you, Kanzil. I'll go back and correct instances of "Fay" when I have the time to.

Act II, Scene II: Asheviere
Spoiler:
Last edited by Lanval on October 18th, 2012, 5:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
Lanval

Post by Lanval »

Act II, Scene III: Liches Looming. (In whiche there iſ muche filre & olden angliſh ſpeech)
Spoiler:
Act II, Scene IV: Dwarven Delves.
Spoiler:
Act II, Scene V: Lionel
Spoiler:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Here's my feedback so far (mostly minor spelling / grammar fixes).

1:1
"we are not yet have past them" -> not yet have we passed them?
1:2
"how to us win more." -> how to win us more?
2:1
"is guiding the lost and" -> in guiding the lost, and
2:2
"as a the guard" -> as a guard?
"he might use discover more" -> ?
"camp until, we" -> camp, until we
2:3
"granted passed and swift" -> granted passage and swift
"the great horse clans" -> sounds a bit LotRish
2:4
"serve prove the this" -> serve to prove this
2:5
orc offers peace with human invaders? I hope this is going to be an orc shaman and not a warlord...
"either too wounded and fearful" -> wounded or fearful
"Soon, Eldred's raiders soon" -> drop the first Soon
"here thn" -> here then
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."