Corrections for "A New Order" campaign

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kanzil

Re: Corrections for "A New Order" campaign

Post by Kanzil »

They have a civilization in that they have a hierachical, clearly divided and technologically and socially advanced system, along the lines of Morton Fried's Highly stratified structures. However the system is fundamentally based on barbaric ideals and base racism, which are preserved within the heart of the civilization and thus spring forth in the incarnation of an eternal war with all other races, which are regarded as inferior. The civilization is based on firm economic and social theories, and held together by conflict, which, whilst barbaric to the mind of an outsider is the mortar of the state to those with a higher level of understanding(the akladians with a higher level of understanding, not you ). It is much as Spengler argues most states are: it is an imperialistic, simple civilization, not a mature, stable state. Nevertheless, whilst its culture and people are defined by war they are also united, stratified and educated by it, for such does it pervade the society that without it the state would fall.

And I refer you to ESR's quote for the first question.
Last edited by Kanzil on August 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Kanzil wrote:And I refer you to ESR's quote for the first question.
You refer me to what now?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

esr's quote in the sixth post.
Last edited by Kanzil on August 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I didn't know that was ESR since you didn't include his name in the quote tag (ie, with ="ESR").

I don't think that my suggestion violates any of the principles in that quote, though obviously this is subjective.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

have attempted to achieve as per esr's words:
I did say it was esr, but never mind. Next time I'll write in the quote box the name of the person who said it. Was my answer about contradictory statements in the first three lines sufficient :lol2: ?
szopen

Post by szopen »

Argh, I hate it. I use now not my regular laptop, but my wife's brother's, and he has awful intenret connection. Therefore, all of my long previous answer dissappeared.

In short: ANO has no chances to be included in Wesnoth distribution. AS such, I ignore ESR advices. Informal language is not a bug, but a feature. In Polish, fantasy writers ceased to use archaic stylisation some twenty years ago, and all Polish best writers use modern and informal language. In ANO Akladians are intended to speak formally and archaic, and in Polish I strive to achieve this. All other people are intended to speak informal and modern language.

I will choose a version as soon as I will b e back to home and I will have access to my regular laptop.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I'm sure that's what the best polish authors do, but that's because they are modern...whereas your characters aren't. esr's advice is general, and is from his campaign how-to. Anyway, It'll be interesting to see which version you choose :) .
szopen

Post by szopen »

Kanzil wrote:I'm sure that's what the best polish authors do, but that's because they are modern...whereas your characters aren't. esr's advice is general, and is from his campaign how-to. Anyway, It'll be interesting to see which version you choose :) .
ANO was written before ESR wrote his howto, moreover, I think he is wrong on this. My characters are not from medieval word, nor from XIX century, after all. That's why I will not follow the advices to make characters intended to speak in modern way, to speak in more formal and archaic.

OTOH, I am accepting your description of Akladians without much changes, except of those proposed by celtic minstrel about punctuation (i hate english rules about punctuation and I have problem even with Polish rules, so I just assume he knows what he is saying :) :) ).

Thanks a lot to both of you guys.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Thanks a lot to both of you guys.
My pleasure.
(i hate english rules about punctuation and I have problem even with Polish rules, so I just assume he knows what he is saying ).
Punctuation is very annoying...unfortunately it's also quite important :( .