Some Campaign Ideas

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dissapointed_Boy

Some Campaign Ideas

Post by Dissapointed_Boy »

Hi,

I'm actually a new guy. That means, I'm playing the game now for about half a year, but I have just currently joined the forum. The main reason is, that I'm really dissapointed due to my catastrophical skills as a campaign creator. I have tried several times to create an own campaign, but I always failed. :cry: So that now, I have even not enough time left to continue on my work, I'd like to offer my ideas, of whom I've expected so much, to you, the more experienced guys. If someone shows interest, please tell me.

My personally favourite idea is called "The Knalgan Saga", a campaign telling the story the first days of Dwarfdom on the Great Continent, how they came up from deep underground, and their fights with Trolls, Elves and Undead in the very early days of the world. I have decided for a length of exactly 20 scenarios. It would serve really well, if somebody shows any interest in this, as I've already finished maps and dialogues. Unfortunately, I'm not a good artist as well, so I can't offer any drawings for the heroes of the game (though there are very less graphics needed). Please, if someone is interested, tell it me, as I'm really looking forward to see how this idea gets realisated.

Thanks
battlestar

Re: Some Campaign Ideas

Post by battlestar »

Artwork wise, you could attract someone by showing your work and ideas, but the easier way is really just dig into the art workshop forum and core image folders. I think there's a lot of great art in art workshop that didn't even get used.

Code wise, you just need to learn WML. It takes time to learn, so I don't think you can be in a rush to get the campaign done if you're busy IRL. Even if someone is willing to help with the coding, you still need to know how to code to know if something is possible, or was it done correctly, or fill in the missing pieces. If you get stuck with WML codes, as long as you show that you've given it a good try, the forum WML wizards will lend you a hand.

P.S. Aww, new guy as in new to the forum, not as in newborn?

Cheers
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I might be interested, but I'm working on my own campaign at the moment. How quickly do you want this done?
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

When I first started coding I was disappointed as well. Wml isn't so easy to learn as there are some rules that you have to find out while coding and the testing can be annoying. I do coding beside my work and so its possible to create a campaign by yourself if you really want to.

Anonymissimus made a simple campaign that can be used as a base for any campaign: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22618 . Maybe some small hints: Keep it simple and make small steps. When you created your first scenario and get it to work, the rest is just a matter of time. If you need unit graphics I'd recomment downloading the "ageless area". Even though this will slow down your multiplayer games, this era offers a lot of units you can use. I just made a graphic pack with icons as well, so feel free to use that. Finally if you are stuck in development you can always ask in the wml workshop.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer