Soradoc

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Adamant14

Soradoc

Post by Adamant14 »

I'm still looking for a place where my campaign could fit.
At the moment I think Soradoc could fit.

What is known about the place (city, town, fortress?) Saradoc.
Who lives there?
What happened there?
What means Soradoc to Wesnoth history? (especially 600YW - 800YW)

All I found:
Konrad crosses the Great River into Wesnoth just north of Soradoc (Return to Wesnoth). The country between the Elven forests and the river is inhabited by, among other things, "hermit mages" (text). He then crosses the river into the Estmark Hills hills east of the Weldyn River (track, Test of the Clans).
and:
Soradoc: The northernmost border outpost of Wesnoth, controls the confluence of the Weldyn River and the Great River.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
MetalKing

Re: Soradoc

Post by MetalKing »

Im not sure what term wesnoth refers to. 1st idea was the continent. Now i believe the realms of humans there. In FarNorth is afaik orcish land. So i guess ur specified location is ruled by humans.
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

For those who played my campaign; A possible journey on the map:
Saradoc_map.png
A short description for those who don't played my campaign, and for those who played to remember:

My hero (Lord Antar) is a young human Lord.
1.Scenario:
The heroes castle is attacked by Undead. (Attack of the Undead)
I haven't named this castle yet.
At the moment I think about Saradoc, but I don't know much about Saradoc and the lands arround Saradoc.
2.Scenario.
The young hero Lord Antar rushes to aid his neighbour Lord Veogwyn. (Lord Veogwyn)
My map has a river from east to west.
3.Scenario
Lord Antar rushes to aid his other neighbour Lord Othar (Lord Othar)
4.scenario
Lord Antar crosses hills full of Goblins. (Through The Goblin Hills)
5.Scenario
Lord Antar reaches an Elvish Outpost. (The Elvish Outpost)
6.Scenario
Lord Antar crosses a snowy pass to reach the Dwarves. The Dwarven Pass)
7.Scenario
Elves fight against Orcs (Revenge)
8.Scenario
Lord Antar reaches the Dwarves (The Dwarves)

The rest of the campaign is in mountain terrain, and underground.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Adamant14 wrote:I'm still looking for a place where my campaign could fit.
At the moment I think Soradoc could fit.

What is known about the place (city, town, fortress?) Saradoc.
Who lives there?
What happened there?
What means Soradoc to Wesnoth history? (especially 600YW - 800YW)

All I found:
Konrad crosses the Great River into Wesnoth just north of Soradoc (Return to Wesnoth). The country between the Elven forests and the river is inhabited by, among other things, "hermit mages" (text). He then crosses the river into the Estmark Hills hills east of the Weldyn River (track, Test of the Clans).
and:
Soradoc: The northernmost border outpost of Wesnoth, controls the confluence of the Weldyn River and the Great River.
There is a campaign for 1.6 called Siege of Soradoc, but you probably don't have to worry about it. It was abandoned after three scenarios, and never ported to later Wesnoth versions. It also falls outside your time range; it's set 100 years after the orcs were defeated at Elensefar, which I take to be a reference to "Saving Elensefar" (122 YW) rather than HttH, since so much happened in HttH that overshadowed its battle of Elensefar. In fact, though I'd have to check, the story may have stopped before it actually got to Soradoc.

Also, I searched the forum before writing this post, and found three campaigns that have scenarios involving Soradoc: Return to Noelren, Journey to the East, and Rise of Camdar. I don't know how respected these campaigns are, or if any of the approach semi-canonical status - Camdar, I'm pretty sure, doesn't. I'm also not sure if any of them reused another's map, or each came up with their own map. If none of them comport with your conception of Soradoc's geography, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even in mainline, the Ford of Abez in Delfador's Memoirs looks nothing like the one in HttH, and its Parthyn doesn't resemble Descent Into Darkness either.

Return to Noelren is set at the end of the First Dark Age; Journey to the East comes a bit closer to your timeframe, as it begins right after Delfador's death (unless I'm mixing it up with another Kalenz campaign); Rise of Camdar would have to be some late Wesnoth timeframe, I think - I need to re-consult my own UMC Timeline.

Yeah, that's a lot of things I need to double-check. I'll try to get back to you if I messed up.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Thank you for giving this thread new life. I did not believed to get more answers here.
:)
Perhaps it is beneficial that not much is known about Saradoc.
So I have more creative liberty to write it the way I imagine.

I looked already in 'Siege of Saradoc', but sadly it was no help for me.
The other three campaigns you mentioned, I don't know any of them, but I will look at it.
Thanks for your reply. :D
And if you find out something else, please let me know.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I thought your campaign happens more on a micro level not in continental dimensions (helping neighbours etc.). At least I imagine several weeks of journey between points so far from each other.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

The distances are very large indeed.
Sad, a journey on a map would be nice, but maybe I should give it up.
Perhaps I should content myself with naming an area in which my story happens.
Maybe something like 'North of Saradoc'.
And to invent names for the places where Lord Antar, Lord Veogwyn and Lord Othar live.

I am looking for a place where is far away from larger human towns.
Elves and Dwarves should be nearer, that's the justification why Lord Antar asks them for help, not other humans.
Any suggestions?
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Well, it turns out I did mix up the two Kalenz campaigns, the one I was thinking of is called "Elves and Wose." "Journey" is set during the First Dark Age. "Rise of Camdar" has a Konrad VI, which would put it in that fuzzy period between the death of Konrad II and Burning Suns, according to the canon timeline.

I also searched my add-ons, and these are all the files that mention Soradoc. I haven't looked at most of them to see whether there's anything substantive there, but scenario 10 of A Vision Blinded may take place at Soradoc. And it would seem that the Struggle For Freedom campaign and scenario 15 of Attack on Elves might have a lot to do with Soradoc as well.

The chances that all six of these campaigns are consistent in their depiction of Soradoc is pretty low. So you can incorporate ideas you like, or stick with your original plans, as you see fit.
List
1.4/A_Vision_Blinded/scenarios/10_For_the_Checkmate.cfg
1.4/A_Vision_Blinded/scenarios/09_Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land.cfg

1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios/08_Bane_Of_Soradoc.cfg
1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios/07b_Realm_Of_Knightmare.cfg
1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios/07a_Eye_Of_Yfel.cfg
1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios/06_Struggle_For_Freedom.cfg
1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios/05_The_Courtyard.cfg
1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios/04_Across_The_Dark_Hills.cfg
1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios/03_An_Attack_From_The_North.cfg
1.6/Struggle_For_Freedom/macros/story.cfg

1.6/Siege_of_Soradoc/scenarios/03_back_to_the_surface.cfg
1.6/Siege_of_Soradoc/scenarios/02_the_dungeons.cfg
1.6/Siege_of_Soradoc/scenarios/01_the_academy.cfg
1.6/Siege_of_Soradoc/_main.cfg

1.8/Rise_of_Camdar/scenarios/10_The_Road_to_Weldyn.cfg
1.8/Rise_of_Camdar/scenarios/09_Soradoc.cfg
1.8/Rise_of_Camdar/scenarios/08_The_War_Begins.cfg

1.8/North_Wind/scenarios/01_Whisperings_in_the_North.cfg

1.8/Journey_to_the_East/utils/RIS_units.cfg
1.8/Journey_to_the_East/scenarios/05_Rebellion_in_Soradoc.cfg
1.8/Journey_to_the_East/scenarios/04_Just_Another_Battle_at_Abez.cfg
1.8/Journey_to_the_East/scenarios/04_Glyns_Forest.cfg

1.8/Attack_on_Elves/scenarios/16_River_Crossing.cfg
1.8/Attack_on_Elves/scenarios/15_Saving_Soradoc.cfg
1.8/Attack_on_Elves/scenarios/14_Return_Home.cfg

1.9/Au_dela_de_l_horizon/units/Loup.cfg
1.9/Au_dela_de_l_horizon/scenarios/04_Trouver_de_l_eau.cfg

1.9/Sweet_Revenge/utils/story.cfg
1.9/Sweet_Revenge/scenarios/03_Information.cfg
1.9/Sweet_Revenge/scenarios/02_First_Blood.cfg
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)