voyage to the new world

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Edmorf

voyage to the new world

Post by Edmorf »

Ok guys, first of all, my first topic here, I love battle for wesnoth because of the great transformation levels that every one can have(actually, If I may suggest, I would like to see a level 5 final transformation)... and also, love the strategy

I am not a professional writer, heck, english is not even my first language, so please, bear with me as I might do lots of errors here and there

So, my idea is the following:

An exploration team of dwarves and humans (some elves included) set sail for new horizons and lands, through the vast and blue sea
after fighting sea monsters and reaching unexplored waters (where the nagas can't get because of high currents) they finally find this new piece of land that has strange animals and stranger vegetation(kind of a jungle). They set up a camp and taste some of the food (the dwarves first, because of their stronger stomach) then after they have settled, they send some scouts to explore for any signs of intelligent life, but the scouts never return, so a human and dwarf heroes assign their captain to guard the fort while they go and check out for them.

While sleeping on the 10th night they manage to ambush an elf who was spying on them, however, this is not your jolly and noble usual elf guy, these are the dark elves they relay more on stealth and poison to deal with their enemies than the usual way that the common elves have(strategy and arrows), their skin is darker and they seem to have a "panterish" kind of look (more canine teeth and even the eyes are like those from cats in order to see better at night)

Obviously at first they can't communicate, however this new dark elf had captured before an elf ("light elf") scout, so it turns out that the scout can understand some of the dark elf dialogue because of the similarity in elf speech (setting the dark elves as a separated branch from the main branch) So finally the dark elf tells them that all the other kidnapped scouts were taken to the dark elf palace for questioning. The human and dwarf heroes not content with this kind of welcoming sent his scout to gather all the troops for a little incursion into enemy lands

days later, when the human-dwarves alliance reaches into proximity they are themselves surrounded by what they thought was an inexistent army of dark elves and their strange animals (not panthers I don't want get sued by warcraft!!) the heroes submit to this great foe and assure that they only come to get their scouts. The dark elf lord then tells them that their scouts have been nicely feed and while they are imprisoned, they haven't cause any harm upon them, and after further talking they agree to be in peace, for the dark elves, the outlanders are also an interesting subject.

And days pass without a fight and the outlanders feast on the strange and exotic nourishment as well as culture techniques and crafts that the dark elfs have to offer, and they can explore whatever they want but there is a catch... they are always followed and in close proximity with dark elf scouts, there are certain paths that the dark elfs suggest not to take, the heroes exasperated manage to distract their hosts and escape (with a small group) towards a great dark castle (apparently in ruins) that the dark elves are always afraid of. Here they find coffins and apparently mummies inside them, it is a creepy surrounding and all the corpses have metalspikes impaled on them, while checking these spikes out and removing some of them they feel uneased (yes, obviously they are vampires and some of them just got revived) In the morning it turns out that some of their fellow comrades have died because of the vampires. They decide to go back and ask the dark elvish lord which in turn scolds them so hard for doing unforbidden stuff... They have unleashed the vampires upon the world of westnoth.

Meanwhile the first vampires to get revived have already awaken all their fellow buddies and prepare to assault the dark elf citadel, however this is just a diversion because the real plan is to interrogate the outlanders in how to reach a better land for the vampire covenant. They manage to create the diversion and successfully interrogates some dwarves or humans and hypnotize them to take them back to the old continent (they prefer to be there than here in the new continent were the dark elves have specialized in neutralizing them)

At the end of the campaign the heroes subdue the vampires killing their boss, and most of them are burnt, however the first vampire to awaken everybody else manages to escape and arrives to westnoth trying to pass for a mere human

principal heroes-

One of those human poachers, he is sufficiently awesome in the dark to vanquish a dark elf scout in his very own land, name can be something cool... Pooch, he is constantly making jokes and tends to like cider a lot

One of the dwarf heroes, and although he is harsh and rude, he loves to invent stuff and is always wondering about new life forms... Dwarfin would be a great name :P

the Dark elf lord- Highly proud of his heritage he is a just and decisive ruler, he is amazed of his elven cousins more pale and more brittle, he dislikes dwarves and humans... Dinje (or whatever the name)

the vampire lord, he doesn't care about sacrificing one or two of their own forces he loves blood hes very ancient and knows of the danger posed by the dark elves, he is just really happy that they are unaware of the ultimate solution for vampires (torch them or sunlight)... name: Seeshmol (or something like that)

secondary characters-

the cook, a human character, is always preparing cider and keeping the crowd happy
the human captain, another rogue of course, he takes his job to serious and Pooch is always telling him to keep it cool
the first vampire awakened, he is of a lower breed, and although mistreated he is a loyal to Seeshmol (even if this last one is willing to sacrifice him) but at the end he will be the only one vampire to set foot in the old continent
the dark lady elf, she is kinder to humans and dwarves and she explains different things for them (and yes, shes hot)

Settings and Info
Vampires are afraid of garlic, sunlight, and fire however this just pause them because nothing can kill them, however if they get their bodies to cinder, regeneration is so hard because the ash goes everywhere (carried by the wind) and their regeneration abilities are difficult, a player might drive a stake to its heart and for this special units may be created

To kill a vampire in the game, fire would do 25% more damage, as well as special units, when a player kills a vampire character they can fall to the ground and may or may not revive in the following turns (you will need to drive a stake on them to "kill" them)

Vampires can drain blood on enemies to regain their abilities and they are very strong and difficult to kill.. Day and night can be very important in the campaign (for example, resist until the sun raises) vampires can also fly and they should be aware when is sunlight coming so they can return swiftly to their bases and back into their coffins (players can pull vampire outs of the coffins during day light)

they have a pale white skin and blue hair for the males and pink or purple for the females and no need for weapons, elite vampires can also have the hypnotic ability which can let you possess an enemy unit for 2 or 3 turns (25% chances of hipnotizing) (I am thinking of Magus from chrono trigger)

Dark elfs can be subdivided into different categories
stalker
scout
assassin (yep, kind of like the orcs)
mounted guard
vampire killer

(no archer units because they prefer knives) and they are dark and dark hair but as elegant and proud as their elvish cousins (think about monet st croix from generation x) all weaponry can be black with silver or gold

So, please tell me what do you think and how pausible will be this? I love drawing also but not very good at colors, I can submit a better story and art
Dugi

Re: voyage to the new world

Post by Dugi »

Check out the Extended Era, dark elves are present there. However, they are not supposed to be dark-skinned, they are rather pale and have dark hair (a complete opposite of the D&D dark elves :D )
Vampires are in Era of Myths, but they are not animated and not quite well painted either. I made vampires in my campaign simply by editing loyalists, making them much more night-loving than chaotic units, increased their damage, and a few things and made an event that when a vampire attacks something else, it may become a vampiric version of the original unit.

But, looking at the story, how many scenarios do you plan to have? There is not too many places in the storyline where you can fight army vs. army.
Telling it because I have made a campaign that had kinda a lot of story elements so that the army commanded changed a lot, there was a lot of 'unusual' scenarios of the kind that you have only your leader, and you have to do something without recruit, resulting in quite a low number of 'normal' scenarios. (Out of 17 scenarios of that chapter, 6 were leader-only, 2 were scenarios where you could get units only by killing enemies and using necromancy on them, 2 of them were rather 'minor indoors skirmishes', and only 7, less than a half of them, was normal).

A nice story, anyway.
Edmorf

Post by Edmorf »

Ahmmmm, Where can I get the extended era? and the era of mights? are vampires so awesome as I was thinking of them??

for the scenarios I was thinking of a short campaign>

1. when they set sail and fight evil sea monsters (finding the place and surviving some monsters may be the objective)
2. When they arrive and explore a little (they can fight strange beasts and collect special plants or animals as an objective)
3. Preparing and starting to fight the dark elves (without any deaths because their high lord appears)
4. Fighting the vampire diversion (everyone vs the vampires)

then, change it to the vampire perspective
5. Finding people to hypnotize while getting undetected
6. The vampire who was the first one to get awaken discovers that the boss doesn't really care about him or any of the others
7. major invasion of the human-dwarf encampment (they can for example destroy everything before the sun rises)

and finally change to the dark elf perspective
8. Protecting the citadel against the attack of the vampires
9. Set sail to warn Westnoth armies and stopping the ships already on sea (they are not going to retake the camp, but they will destroy the outgoing ships)
10. And finally the major battle with dark elves, human and dwarves attacking from one side while the north alliance finally approaches and attacks by sea

Dugi, thanks for the info and updates :)
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Vampires in the Era of Myths are not quite as...vampiric...as your version - they're more like a conventional army with Drain and Plague abilities and a bit of weird blood-related magic - less Dracula, more Blade or Underworld.
I've been considering a vampire-based campaign, based more on European folklore and early Gothic horror, and my interpretation of vampires is very similar to yours. I can pass some bits of code your way, as and when I get around to it, but I'm currently working on another project so it might be a while.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Get the extended era here and the era of myths here.

They are both only for 1.8, I fear, but you have the images there anyway.

An interesting idea to make the player play for both the good guys and the bad guys.
Edmorf

Post by Edmorf »

I did some drafts

Seeshmol

Pooch

Dwarfin

and also a little sprite for the vampire...

Still soooo much to work in, I am thinking of buying me a draw pad, any suggestions?
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Nice story! I like your characters and portraits, the story sounds to like something straight from the Odyssey.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild