SoF: Dialog & storyline revision.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tr0ll

Re: SoF: Dialog & storyline revision.

Post by tr0ll »

I started on making patches and it involves changing the action (such as moving units around) as well as dialog, so i might get to improve my WML skills a bit 8)
  1. Anyway, this leads me to ask should i post the patches in the development topic for this campaign instead?
  2. I noticed that you spell the words king and queen in lowercase in dialogue but the narrator says them in Capitalized case (King and Queen). Which is the preferred usage?
  3. How are credits for the revisions to be recorded when the patches are submitted? E.g. will zookeeper add them to the svn log entry or should your author comments in the text files be inserted into the scenario.cfg files?
(FYI, my understanding of making patches in this case is: checkout dev version from svn trunk, edit the relevant .cfg files, run svn diff and attach the captured output to a forum post for zookeeper to review.)
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Ok, good!
LordBob wrote:I might still propose some changes in scenarios 2-3, especially the dialog of the elves.
What exactly? They're suppose to sound less disciplined and more roguish in the way they speak, since they've become ruthless under Landar's banner.

I've gone through some more scenarios and made little changes/fixes. Towards the Caves should be better now, Durstorn is much more inclined to attacking the elves instead of surrendering.
Attachments
Towards the Caves.txt
v0.3
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Hills of the Shorbear Clan.txt
v0.3
(7.05 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
The Jeweler.txt
v0.6
(3.86 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Gathering Materials.txt
v0.3
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
The Council Regathers.txt
v0.3
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Minor stuff, really. Mostly, tweaking the flow of the dialog and some of the elf's arguments (their overall behaviour is fine). Here goes for Towards the caves:
Spoiler:
As for Towards the Caves, I like the revised Durnstorn. My only nitpick would be about Thursagan justifying his long handling of the Ruby after he kills him: he is likely shocked by his own act and would perhaps not dwell on lengthy explainations. Plus, he might be reluctant to admit explicitly that the ruby is affectng him. How about :
Spoiler:
More on this when I'll have read the other scenarios.

@ Troll: I can't say much about patching and crediting (that'd be Zookeeper's area of expertise), but your help is very much welcome. Thanks :)
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Re 2_Closing_the_Gates: I finished coding it but i noticed a hole in the plot.
What should happen if time runs out when the gates are closed with elves still in the caves. What is the rush? I mean, the game shows defeat (by default) but there isnt any message associated with it.

Edit: just noticed your first spoiler above was for 2_Closing_the_Gates not 6_Towards_the_Caves . Luckily not much to change 8)

Will post patches after testing.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

LordBob wrote:Minor stuff, really. Mostly, tweaking the flow of the dialog and some of the elf's arguments (their overall behaviour is fine). Here goes for Towards the caves:
Spoiler:
As for Towards the Caves, I like the revised Durnstorn. My only nitpick would be about Thursagan justifying his long handling of the Ruby after he kills him: he is likely shocked by his own act and would perhaps not dwell on lengthy explainations. Plus, he might be reluctant to admit explicitly that the ruby is affectng him. How about :
Spoiler:
More on this when I'll have read the other scenarios.

@ Troll: I can't say much about patching and crediting (that'd be Zookeeper's area of expertise), but your help is very much welcome. Thanks :)
Yeah, I like those changes better. I'm going to start on the other scenarios, so at least one of them should be here soon.

EDIT: Here's Scenario 7 & 8.

How do you feel about the village guards (in scenario 7) instantly believing Alanin's story? Maybe they'd be a little resistant to the idea of risking/sacrificing their lives against elves for someone in ragged, dwarvish attire who claims to be the King's representative.
Attachments
The Dragon.txt
v0.3
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Outriding the Outriders.txt
v0.3
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

hi guys i havent given up, just had some illness and moving issues. if you dont get some finished patches from me by mid July, feel free to assume i am MIA or at least unreliable...

(update, Jan 2016)
:( i am so sorry i failed to continue work and let the community down. i am still not in any shape to resume either. What patches i had were in no way working, so if anyone does pick this up, start from the current development version, ie from scratch.