Green Isle's descryption in the Encyclopedia.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darkmage
Translator

Green Isle's descryption in the Encyclopedia.

Post by Darkmage »

I stumbled upon the following doubt:

The description:
Encyclopedia(Green Isle) wrote: A bigger island lying in the <ref>dst='great_ocean' text='Great Ocean'</ref>.
It says it's a bigger island, but bigger than "what?", does it mean it's bigger than the average, or is it just a different way of saying it is "big"?
Am I missing something?

Well, thank you in beforehand.
Great_Mage_Atari

Re: Green Isle's descryption in the Encyclopedia.

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Now, I also stumbled across this, and this is my interpretation:
It is my assumption that it is just bigger than the surrounding islands that also call the Great Ocean home, not exactly bigger than average (bigger refers to the other islands in comparison with Green Isle in the general vicinity). There's the Isle of Alduin and a few other islands that we really don't hear about, either because they are small and unimportant or they just don't have names. Some just make cameos in mainline campaigns. But it would seem that the Green Isle is bigger than them all.
So I am assuming (and somebody correct me if I am wrong) that the Green Isle is just bigger than the surrounding islands, therefore making it "A bigger island lying in the Great Ocean."
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Atari wrote:It is my assumption that it is just bigger than the surrounding islands that also call the Great Ocean home, not exactly bigger than average (bigger refers to the other islands in comparison with Green Isle in the general vicinity). There's the Isle of Alduin and a few other islands that we really don't hear about, either because they are small and unimportant or they just don't have names. Some just make cameos in mainline campaigns. But it would seem that the Green Isle is bigger than them all.
So I am assuming (and somebody correct me if I am wrong) that the Green Isle is just bigger than the surrounding islands, therefore making it "A bigger island lying in the Great Ocean."
I get your point but I fear that's not my point.
We supposedly don't know about Alduin, The Three Sisters, Morogor, etc. [We are in an "Encyclopedia", we do not have to know about every other thing written in it.]

The fact is: Yes, Green Isle is "big", yes, Green Isle is bigger than Alduin. Thus GI is bigger than A, then, GI is bigger.
Cool, that's what you say; but what we have here is only: "GI is bigger". Yet we do not necessarily know about the 1st part of the reasoning. For me it sounds weird (or yet, meaningless) to say: Peter is taller. Just like that. (Taller than Sabine, taller than my chair, taller than a sky-scratcher?) Correct me if I'm being misled.

I know that there are several islands in Irdya; I suppose the Green Isle if one of the biggest ones "charted" (euphemism for: We have not completely created our world and you are free to create a new island as large as you may).

Say I'm looking for Ian Fleming's entry on the Encyclopedia and I find: "A more famous doctor who discovered penicillin, blah blah..." More famous than whom, Blaise Pascal, Severo Ochoa, Ivan Pavlov?

The fact is whether "A bigger island" is an errata or is correctly written; then, if it is correctly written (given the context)*, then what's the meaning (so I can translate it as I should).

*Given the context that there should be no context other than we are in "World of Wesnoth" (Irdya if you prefer) and the player may know nothing about any other islands.

Since English is not my 1st language it is "somewhat probable" I miss to catch the meaning of some idioms and I didn't know whether this was the case or just a mere errata. That's why I just posted here, in the writers' forum, instead of the translators'.

This is the way I understand the definition: [Clumsiness intended]
-Green Isle
A more big isle (than) in the Great Ocean.

This suggests we came to this entry linked by the entry about another isle/archipelago (Morogor, likely). (So "bigger" would make sense ).
Yet, given the case, it should be considered that the player "might" access such entry in a different way, and thus "bigger" would make no sense (unless I'm missing some idiom or whatever).

I hope I made myself clear about what my doubt's about.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

In quite a number of languages, the comparative and superlative forms can be used as, well, a superlative form of the original adjective.
This dates all the way back to latin and isn't exactly unusual in english either.
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

AI wrote:In quite a number of languages, the comparative and superlative forms can be used as, well, a superlative form of the original adjective.
This dates all the way back to latin and isn't exactly unusual in english either.
Duh! Thanks for the explanation AI, I guess I just gave it more thought than it deserved and just messed everything in my head.

I guess this thread can be closed. (If any mod seems it fit.)
rmj

Post by rmj »

In quite a number of languages, the comparative and superlative forms can be used as, well, a superlative form of the original adjective.
Still, it is not good English. Better would be to simply say "a large island."
rmj
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

it is so big, that can contain so many kingdoms but allow them exist at a same period of time for centuries. As those wesfolks said, their lich lords are nearly destroyed over, thus they create a portal to get their ocrish allies. This infers that this isle is enough for containing mankind civilization and prosper for manymany years, which are long enough for humans to develop necromance magic and get to know these magic's weakness very well, because they can officiallyt declare wars and stay advantageous position against undead. These wars show that mankind have already known systematical ways to destroy undeads in hordes of ammount.
l suppose, personally, this island shall be as big as Australia