The Fall of Wesnoth (Storyline discussion)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pewskeepski

The Fall of Wesnoth (Storyline discussion)

Post by Pewskeepski »

SPOILER WARNING

Due to the story getting many revisions, I've posted it here so it'll be easier to find the one we're actually going with.
Spoiler:
And here's the original post:
Pewskeepski wrote:About a year ago, I had an idea for a campaign called 'The Fall of Wesnoth.' I was thinking that this idea has surely been done before by somebody else, and it turns out I was right. But the campaign does seem to be in a 'Abandoned' state. It's on the 1.6 server so I assume that its alright if I take it over.

However, I do not want this campaign to be an 'Alternative ending.' I realize that UtBS is not the only campaign which follows events after the fall so I need to know what other people have done. I'm not going to play any of those campaigns because, like UtBS, I'll race through them trying to only get the story elements striate.

Below is what I have for the story. (Sorry that it's long, I got kinda carried away and went really detailed in some spots :P) Of course, there are extreme spoilers, so read it at your own risk.

Spoiler:
Now that you've read that big wall of text. Take a rest, grab some coffee, and enjoy yourself before you read the next one :wink:
Spoiler:
You ought to be pretty tired by now. But don't worry, the next one isn't nearly as long :)
Spoiler:
Thanks for reading all that. Yeah, it's a long story, but dooms day is a long process. :mrgreen: As you probably already guessed, I plan to split this into three parts, each part will have about 25 scenarios.

So, how far off was I from the storys which have already been told? Don't forget to not only tell me where I went wrong, but also tell me what you did instead. I'll try to incorporate any story elements that I went wrong on as best I can.
Last edited by Pewskeepski on July 11th, 2011, 2:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Pewskeepski

Re: Abandoned Campaigns - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Post by Pewskeepski »

Well, I guess utter silence is what I expected. (given my history of receiving it) Did I post this in the wrong place?

I want to make this campaign, but I'd rather wait until I sort out the story. Unless nobody cares if I don't follow the plots of other campaigns like Invasion from the Unknown. C'mon, guys, Replying to this is only going to take a little bit of your time. And it wouldn't hurt you to give some feedback like you do to the other campaigns :whistle:
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

The Ruby of Fire (unshielded) gradually corrupted the bearer. Held within the Sceptre, the corruption continued, but was blocked by a filigree of white magic infused into the gold lining surrounding the ruby.

Making an "alternate" history of the Fall is difficult, as I and most others are completely used to UtBS and IftU. If you want to at least be mainline, the Fall did NOT happen until the THIRD sun was raised. That THIRD sun fell and destroyed everything in a massive explosion.

Everything else can be either seen in Future History of Wesnoth (on the wiki somewhere; it was written by Shadowmaster and was made to be synched with IftU) or made up.

The whole thing at the moment seems like a giant fetch quest... Find and kill the three liches! Then, get the magical sword and find all the lost runes of power!
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

@Pewskeepski: This is surely not the right thread to speak about this - better try in Writer's forum (or ask some moderator to move these posts there).
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

pauxlo wrote:@Pewskeepski: This is surely not the right thread to speak about this - better try in Writer's forum (or ask some moderator to move these posts there).
That's what I was thinking. I posted in here merely to say "I've taken over this campaign." I suppose it should be moved, but since nobody has said anything here I was thinking my story was OK regarding IftU. Especially because Shadowmaster is not only the Lord of the forums but he's also the creator of the campaign ;)

Anyway, I've changed the storyline some. But ultimately, if the story posted above is truthful to IftU, then so is the edited version. (I know it follows UtBS perfectly.) Could these please be moved to the Writers Forum?
Bennoman

Re: The Fall of Wesnoth (Storyline discussion)

Post by Bennoman »

Hi Pewskeepski just been taking the time to read your wall o text!

My initial response should be that any story concerning the fall should not directly involve the actual event which brings it about and that it should also be a natural event (well as natural as you can get involving fantasy Armageddons).

I will explain my reasoning. The power of any myth that explains the end of things as we know it are much more powerful if there is vagueness to it, when there is room for imagination to fill in the blanks. Here's just a few examples off the top of my head.

28 days later: The protagonist awakes in a ruined London, the scenery alone tells a wonderful story without a single word of exposition. Later on we are filled in on the events of what has happened, but before that we have already come across those infected with the rage virus so we know what everyone faced. And when the survivors tell their stories we can place this in context. Our imaginations fill in the gaps trying to envision a scene of thousands of people being torn apart by a growing tide of people infected with the rage virus.

Terminator: Why was terminator 3 rubbish? Because they showed us what was happening, and how they tried to explain the nitty gritty details of how judgement day came about. It was all unnecessary because the concept alone of Skynet becoming self aware and nuking the world is chilling and so grimly described. The only moment in terminator 3 which you suddenly got a shiver down your spine is at the very end of the film when John Connor starts picking up calls from military units around the US asking for orders, they are panicked and scared. That moment works not because you see what happens but you see what happens to the people .

Battlestar Galactica: Ok so in this one you do get to see what happens. However the reason the show has won so many awards, is because it shows how the apocalypse is effecting the survivors. The human context so to speak.

I suppose what I am getting is show don't tell. Show what happens because of the epic tragedy that is the fall not how it happens.

My advice would be to take the battlestar galactica route. That any campaign based around the fall would best suit describing a group of refugees trying to escape the chaos around them. You can describe the events via map design, dialog and intro story boards. Keep the details a mystery, let the player fill in the gaps in their own mind, the characters may or may not know what is happening. But they sure as hell can describe what is happenin... show don't tell.

Anyway thats purely just my opinion, but I would be very curious as to what you think.

Ben
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I think you're right. I plan to make it so game play is the past leading up to the present where Alitar tells the tale of the fall - which can be read in the story parts before each scenario. UtBS does something very similar to this, the difference here is that the Alitar is telling the story BEFORE the final battle. So the last few scenarios take place in the present. Follow me? It might sound a bit confusing, sorry if it is.

As for "Show don't tell." That's what I plan to do. In most (If not all) of the talk only scenarios the characters have 'real' conversations with each other. Not just, "Lets go get those badguys!" Alitar and Secadus (The orc leader) become good friends, and you get to see their friendship get made via the dialog in the scenarios. This should make the campaign more interesting because when someone dies, the player might say "Oh man, he was a cool guy." instead of "Drat! I lost a good unit."

And this is ultimately a good thing because then you feel bad when Wesnoth get's destroyed. Speaking of which:
the Fall did NOT happen until the THIRD sun was raised. That THIRD sun fell and destroyed everything in a massive explosion.
I guessed you misinterpreted the way I told it, the third sun IS the one that destroys everything. They raise 1 sun, (Now they have 2) they raise another, (To make it 3) but it fails.
Bennoman

Post by Bennoman »

Fair enough, I just have my reservations with trying to tell the story of the fall, its details.

Such things are best left vague because to describe it in detail removes the mystery. And the power of post apocalyptic worlds is that its happened, it cannot be relived and is effectively myth, it becomes entwined with the culture of the people who live in that time. To describe it in detail removes myth, mystery and imagination and replaces with fact.

The other thing I would consider is that at the point of the fall I personally viewed that the world of Wesnorth had become something of a decadent and lazy empire. The reason they are making new suns is because they do what all empires do when they are on top of the world. they do stupid things and over stretch themselves, sometime leading to their own demise.

What I am getting at is the idea of huge armies clashing in the times leading up to the fall just doesn't jibe with me. The fall is a product of an empire with no challenges left, who chooses to do things for the sake of vanity alone. The last thing you would do in the sake of a great war is to undertake a massive vanity project.

Not saying that the story is bad. There's plenty of twists and characters in it to make it a wonderful narrative. I just think it would be better suited to the immediate aftermath of the fall, with desperate survivors banding together, or in a different era altogether.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Agreed. Here's the redone storyline I mentioned.

Note that this is just a 'rough sketch' of the story. I have the whole thing planned out in a lot more detailed than this but to right it all in detail would take a lot of time. I agree with Wesnoth being in peace before the fall. Problem is that Wesnoth is a TBS game so with out any battles, it'd be rather boring. To address this problem, I made wars take place in the north while Wesnoth is at peace.

The story has been split in two. I didn't like that everything happened to Alitar in the original so I've made the story not just about him, but also about a Wesnothian General named Gwadoc. So now the story is from 2 people's point of view. Oh, and the ones which are numbered 0 take place before the campaign begins and are just mentioned.
Spoiler:
Here's part 2.
Spoiler:
And part 3 is getting closer to being finished but I'll wait to post it.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Err... those numbers aren't supposed to correspond to scenarios, are they? I hope not, because that would be outright ridiculous.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

johndh wrote:Err... those numbers aren't supposed to correspond to scenarios, are they? I hope not, because that would be outright ridiculous.
What? It'd only be twice as long as IFtU. :P Anyway, most of them sound like cutscenes.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

johndh wrote:Err... those numbers aren't supposed to correspond to scenarios, are they? I hope not, because that would be outright ridiculous.
Why? Its basically three campaigns, two of which are as long as Heir to the Throne.

Also, I'm fairly sure I've seen at least one add-on with around 40 or more scenarios.

Now, regarding the OP, I have some comments. There are probably others I'll want to make, but to start with:

-I like the idea of
Spoiler:

-I dislike
Spoiler:

-I dislike your Ruby of Fire idea.
Spoiler:
, which casts the canon in a rather disturbing and sinister light.

-I presume General Gwadoc is the same one I invented? In which case, he served Murdoch the First, and by now would most likely be quite old. So unless you plan to write him as such, consider making this character a son of General Gwadoc instead.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Err... those numbers aren't supposed to correspond to scenarios, are they? I hope not, because that would be outright ridiculous.
No they're not. The first part has 20 scenarios and the second has probably 20-25.
-I like the idea of
Spoiler:
I do too because it eliminates a supposed 'evil' foe :)
-I dislike
Spoiler:
Well, they're in for story purposes (Orginally because IftU has them) But I now I have a a different purpose for them. In part 3, Evad declares himself the ruler of the ruined Wesnoth and says that to defeat the demons, they'll all have to raise undead. He convinces everybody that raising the dead is not evil and that it's the only way they can stop the demons. But nobody knows it was EVAD who opened the portal to hell.
-I dislike your Ruby of Fire idea.
Spoiler:
, which casts the canon in a rather disturbing and sinister light.
They didn't know it would be destroy. And nobody ever even knew what would happen if it was destroyed.
-I presume General Gwadoc is the same one I invented? In which case, he served Murdoch the First, and by now would most likely be quite old. So unless you plan to write him as such, consider making this character a son of General Gwadoc instead.
Honestly, I just stole his name :P I suppose it could be Gwadoc II.
Bennoman

Post by Bennoman »

Right ok I will be honest allot of my concerns about the narrative remain, so to just discuss in detail.

What is the source of conflict? (in a story telling sense)
Spoiler:
Why is this story specific to this time era?
Spoiler:
It's an epic zipper plot
Spoiler:

If you want to do a plot about the events leading up to the fall (though i would personally start in the immediate aftermath), here's what I suggest.

1. Main character is an agent of the crown sent to kill leader of terrorist/dissident group who are seeking to disrupt the creation of a third sun (for what ever reason.)
2. The main character is a member of a terrorist/dissident group who believer the creation of a third sun is a bad idea for what ever reason and tries to stop it.
3.The main character has a vision about the on coming Apocalypse and convinces others to join them finding a safe place to rebuild after everything has gone to hell.

To be honest none of those really excite me... If i were to write something about the fall here's a few I would consider.

1.The main character is a commander at a border fort, he witnesses the sun fail and fall and the devastation around the area. He has to rally his troops to build a safe haven in the area and ensure that he can protect the local populace in the chaos.
2. The main character was in the capital city at the time of the sun's failure, and by some miricale they survived, they must work to gather other survivors and lead them out of the devastation to somewhere safe.
3.A year or two after the fall the Main character has to head to the impact site of the sun to retrieve a McGuffin (an object that is there for story telling purposes).
4.The main character is a mage and witnessed the fall. They must gather and preserve the knowlage they have gained lest it be lost for ever.
5. The main character is a dwarf who's patrol has been cut off from the main city by cave ins and earthquakes caused by the fall. They must brave the unknown (and perhaps even end up top side) to reach home.

Just a few ideas
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Bennoman wrote:What is the source of conflict? (in a story telling sense)
Spoiler:
The disease is the reason they raise another sun into the sky - so they won't have to put up with being mindless skeletons for very long. But (in UtBS) the merfolk do not know of this disease because it was never recorded. And it was never recorded because they don't want anybody attempting to make it again.
Bennoman wrote:So you have to consider the source of conflict in the story carefully. By conflict I do not mean the people that the player will fight against, but rather the issue that needs to be resolved in the overriding story arc. For example in Pride and Prejudice the conflict is this, the main character is an eligible young woman who is expected by her culture to marry and become a dutiful house wife. However the main character is headstrong, and refuses to settle into this role, to add to this the only really eligible man in the area is an emotionally closed misery guts called Mr Darcy. The conflict is finally resolved by the main character realizing that despite grumpy exterior My Darcy is a generous and brilliant man who appreciates her mind and views. Thus they totally get it on.
I myself am not so sure about humans and elves waging war. I'll tell you what Rovistar's plan is. It won't be told in gameplay, natually, but this is why he does the things he does.

Rovistar wants to steal the Scepter of Fire for some dumb reason. But he knows that Wesnoth will pursue him if he does so he keeps Wesnoth distracted by starting a war and killing the king. His plan is to keep the Northern Alliance from intervening somehow which is why he goes there. But when Alitar arrives, Rovistar changes his plan and flees. Evad get's a hold of his mind (just like he does to Alitar at the end of part 1) and takes the Scepter, Rovistar then has a new plan. Evad's plan. He sets off to the Swamp of Dread to start working on the disease.
Bennoman wrote:In the case of any story that deals with the moments before fall the conflict of the story has to deal with the arrogance or shortsightedness of the empire that compelled the people of Wesnorth to create an extra sun that would ultimately doom the world. The conflict of the story is resolved when we realize these facts (i.e. at the point the sun fails and brings about the cataclysm).
It's their shortsightedness that makes them easily deceived by Evad. I suppose the war between humans and elves could be a result of their arrogance too.
Bennoman wrote:Any extra narrative at this period distracts from the real conflict, which is the creation of the sun and its failure. To have the protagonist fighting other battles at this time introduces unnecessary and extraneous conflict (in the manner i described earlier). The message of the story becomes diluted and thus you loose the real punch of things.
As I said before, I'm not so sure I like the humans vs elves war. In a nutshell, part 1 is the preparation of the fall and kind of the introduction to everything. Part 2 itself is the fall and part 3 is the conclusion.
Bennoman wrote:Why is this story specific to this time era?
Spoiler:
It takes place a couple years after SotBE. Gruu is in this campaign, but he's a very old troll. I think it takes place somewhere in the year 1200 YW. (Trolls live to be like 900 years old I think)
Bennoman wrote:It's an epic zipper plot
Spoiler:
Thanks for the heads up :)
Bennoman wrote:If you want to do a plot about the events leading up to the fall (though i would personally start in the immediate aftermath), here's what I suggest.

1. Main character is an agent of the crown sent to kill leader of terrorist/dissident group who are seeking to disrupt the creation of a third sun (for what ever reason.)
2. The main character is a member of a terrorist/dissident group who believer the creation of a third sun is a bad idea for what ever reason and tries to stop it.
3.The main character has a vision about the on coming Apocalypse and convinces others to join them finding a safe place to rebuild after everything has gone to hell.

To be honest none of those really excite me... If i were to write something about the fall here's a few I would consider.

1.The main character is a commander at a border fort, he witnesses the sun fail and fall and the devastation around the area. He has to rally his troops to build a safe haven in the area and ensure that he can protect the local populace in the chaos.
2. The main character was in the capital city at the time of the sun's failure, and by some miricale they survived, they must work to gather other survivors and lead them out of the devastation to somewhere safe.
3.A year or two after the fall the Main character has to head to the impact site of the sun to retrieve a McGuffin (an object that is there for story telling purposes).
4.The main character is a mage and witnessed the fall. They must gather and preserve the knowlage they have gained lest it be lost for ever.
5. The main character is a dwarf who's patrol has been cut off from the main city by cave ins and earthquakes caused by the fall. They must brave the unknown (and perhaps even end up top side) to reach home.

Just a few ideas
Those ideas take place after the sun has fallen so they'd be part 3.

I'd like to get some opinions on the humans vs elves war.