Listra River?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Listra River?

Post by Groggy_Dice »

This project can be sensitive to copyright issues, as illustrated by these quotes from the forum:
The middle Orcish Warlord's name is from the Lord of the Rings, change it (copyright issues?).
It also sounds like Tolkien's Morgoth. Perhaps more letters should be changed, like Anduin > Alduin?
I made up the name 'Morgorath' because it previously was 'Agarash', which is an existing character that has nothing to do with wesnoth.
I can understand this caution, particularly with respect to anything Middle Earth. Since the entire setting is Tolkienesque fantasy, use of actual Tolkien names highlights this inspiration. And I suppose there is a record of the Tolkien estate rattling legal sabers, as they pressured Dungeons and Dragons to make changes, like hobbits to halflings.

On the other hand, the project doesn't always take the paranoid route, as with the apparent Warcraft homage at the beginning of Delfador's Memoirs. The Listra River, I suppose, is more like that case, since it is just the name of one river. Wesnoth bears no other resemblance to that setting (unless one counts the dwarvish thunderers' secret powder). So when the name was proposed, did everyone just go, "Ooh, nice homage," or were there some copyright hand-wringers who were overridden?
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Listra River?

Post by Iris »

Moved to Writers’ Forum.

EDIT:
esr wrote:23:41:37 <esr> shadowmaster: I named that river, and I've never played WoW and didn't know there's a Listra in it.
In my humble opinion, you are looking too much into this.
Groggy_Dice wrote:On the other hand, the project doesn't always take the paranoid route, [...] So when the name was proposed, did everyone just go, "Ooh, nice homage," or were there some copyright hand-wringers who were overridden?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

esr wrote:23:41:37 <esr> shadowmaster: I named that river, and I've never played WoW and didn't know there's a Listra in it.
There's a misunderstanding; when I mentioned Warcraft, I was talking about the oracles' chant in Delfador's Memoirs ("thorum restro targa thorum"), not Listra. (I haven't played Warcraft myself, but see: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 56#p426752) Listra River is from H. Beam Piper/Lord Kalvan.

I don't have any reason to believe the Piper estate would actually sue over something this minor, but some people are cautious about anything touching copyright (as has come up again in the "wolf naming" thread, for example).
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)

esr
Retired Developer

Post by esr »

Hmmm. I named the Listra, and you're probably right that the Paratime books were behind it. But, happily, I know H. Beam Piper's literary executor slightly - not FTF but we've exchanged email. I think I can keep him off the project's neck.