About the dual suns:

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

About the dual suns:

Post by Glowing Fish »

I have a question about the entire dual suns thing in the "Under the Burning Suns".

Anyone here who has studied physics or astronomy knows that gravitational systems are fairly complicated, even fragile things. Of course, naturally, sometimes suns form so that they orbit each other, but to create such a system...it would have to decay for awhile.

So I imagine that the entire having two suns thing can't hold up for long. After a while, one or the other has to be thrown out of the system.

So, my big question is:

When is the binary going to be released?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: About the dual suns:

Post by Iris »

If you bothered to do a search in this forum (to which your post really belongs to, by the way), you'd notice that this topic has been brought up more than once, the most commonly accepted explanation being that Naia is an artificial moon with a highly reflecting surface and close orbit to Irdya.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Hm, I always thought a wizard did it...

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

That's quite right, but not accurate. The truth is, lots of wizards did it. We don't know how many, though. We don't know whether they were ninja either, although there's no evidence indicating that they were not. Our research on the subject is still incomplete.
I got better!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I thought naia was an artifical, artificially lit moon, actually. But either way, it's definitely a satellite of Irdya, not a star.

Also, groan.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Actually, I thought the creator had just watched too much Star Wars... :shock:
No offence intended.
I had no idea it was an artificial moon.
Perhaps the wizards were just holy paladins (or something) who feared the darkness so much they popped a giant spherical mirror in the sky?

And grats on your forum promotion (?) shadowmaster, by the way...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Reepurr wrote:I had no idea it was an artificial moon.
Perhaps the wizards were just holy paladins (or something) who feared the darkness so much they popped a giant spherical mirror in the sky?
Play UtBS, the clarification is in the story text there. (At least it was, when I played it.)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hmm, I coulda' sworn I read somewhere that it was a huge mountain...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
johndh

Post by johndh »

That's no moon. Oh wait, yeah it is. Anyway, I had wondered about the weird day-night cycle in UtBS, specifically why the night is longer with an extra sun.

(By the way, has it actually been established whether Irdya is round like Mars or flat like Earth?)
Hulavuta wrote:Hmm, I coulda' sworn I read somewhere that it was a huge mountain...
In UtBS, we're told that...
Spoiler:
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

johndh wrote:That's no moon. Oh wait, yeah it is. Anyway, I had wondered about the weird day-night cycle in UtBS, specifically why the night is longer with an extra sun.
It's not. It's just that to split the day up into appropriate proportions, each turn is shorter. Or such is my understanding. The proportion of the day spent in sunlight of one sort or another is significantly greater.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

It's round, like earth.
Burin the Lost wrote:In the name of... This is the continent of my home. But I set out east. I must have traveled clear around the world."
Hence, the world is round after all!
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

...no-one suggested that Irdya was other than an earth-like planet. We're talking about the artificial moon from UtBS, Naia.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

The campaign Trinity (sequel of Bad Moon Rising) gives another story for the second sun, slighty different from the UtBS one. But it's still an artificial moon.
Spoiler:
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

johndh wrote: (By the way, has it actually been established whether Irdya is round like Mars or flat like Earth?)
This made me think it was.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Keep in mind that the description and naming of celestial bodies comes down to the way we choose to group things and the perspective with which we do so. This makes the way we describe them somewhat subjective. For example we still say that the sun rises and sets, even though we know it actually does nothing of the sort, because that it what it does from our perspective. A large, very reflective moon could be classified as a sun if you think of a sun as a large object in the sky that provides light and heat. This would particularly be the case if there had been no major moons previously to cause them to have formed a distinction between the two concepts.