The Army and Government of Wesnoth

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

King_Elendil

The Army and Government of Wesnoth

Post by King_Elendil »

As I am starting to write a story that might become the base for a campaign, I would like to know as much as possible about the way that Wesnoth's army and government are formatted. For example, are there governors over provinces, or does the king have singular and ultimate control over everything? I would like all the information that may be floating around in different places put here, so that new campaign developers can ensure continuity in these areas.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
TheGreatRings

Re: The Army and Government of Wesnoth

Post by TheGreatRings »

King_Elendil wrote:As I am starting to write a story that might become the base for a campaign, I would like to know as much as possible about the way that Wesnoth's army and government are formatted. For example, are there governors over provinces, or does the king have singular and ultimate control over everything? I would like all the information that may be floating around in different places put here, so that new campaign developers can ensure continuity in these areas.
First off, there don't appear to be "governors" in the sense that the word is usually used, to mean either elected or appointed officials in control of a region. Rather, local government appears to be in the hands of feudal nobles, ie the Lord from the second scenario of Heir to the Throne. Some areas however appear to be under the direct control of military officers. Notably, unlike typical real medieval states to the best of my knowledge, Wesnoth would appear to have a large standing army.

Regarding the laws of Wesnoth, the only things that are canonically stated, so far as I am aware, are that necromancy is punishable by death (Descent into Darkness 1st. scenario I think), and that under Ashevier, at least one mage was arrested for training other mages (Heir to the Throne 3rd. scenario).

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for? Anyway, I'll see if I can find some more information for you later.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

Yes, that was the exact sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you so much. If anyone can expound upon or add to what The Great Rings said, go for it.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

We also know from Liberty that Shadow Mages are apparently illegal as well, generally being lumped together with necromancers, as they study the same type of dark magics without actually performing necromancy.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Shadow mages, I suspect, also include ordinary mages who wash out of mage college for various reasons, not all necessarily dark-arts-related, but who then continue to use magic anyway, financing it by whatever rough-and-ready means they can. I have some unit descriptions to this effect, hanging around somewhere...

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed, the impression I have is that the Rogue Mage line encompasses failed human mages as well as those who've picked up magic by themselves, hedge wizards and the like. I wouldn't mind making a female variant for just that reason, when I get round to tweaking the new sprites.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
johndh

Post by johndh »

thespaceinvader wrote:Indeed, the impression I have is that the Rogue Mage line encompasses failed human mages as well as those who've picked up magic by themselves, hedge wizards and the like.
That seems about right. My guess is that magic in Wesnoth is highly regulated. Those who can't or won't go through the academy on Alduin (for the same reasons most people can't go to Harvard or Oxford) would have to practice their unlicensed magic in secret.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I've often thought about the role of the mages in the Wesnoth society. Are they basically a trade guild, so that they have to get their training through certain channels (Alduin) and stick to certain rules (no necromancy), but are otherwise free to practice as they please? Or are they more like the Jedi order, working as an organisation to uphold goodness and order in the world, and collaborating with the government but not serving it? Or are they like the Catholic church in medieval times, a super-state with its own political motives and power, with which the mundane rulers are often in a "riding the bear" relationship?

ETA: And if necromancy is illegal, do the mages run their own version of inquisition? :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

The Great Rings wrote: Notably, unlike typical real medieval states to the best of my knowledge, Wesnoth would appear to have a large standing army.
Of course, our knowledge of Wesnoth history is somewhat biased...it could just be that the army is called up in times when there is a tyrant on the throne (Heir to the Throne) or at a time when the kingdom is under attack.

Actually, in general, you could write a lot of different material on Wesnoth, and be justified in doing so, since there are big 100-year gaps in Wesnoth history, and gaps of hundreds of miles in Wesnoth geography. For example, whether Wesnoth is a unified kingdom or not doesn't seem to be a settled issue, there seems to be areas like Elensefar and the steppes to the east that are allied areas, but not part of Wesnoth per se.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
rmj

Post by rmj »

I've often thought about the role of the mages in the Wesnoth society. Are they basically a trade guild, so that they have to get their training through certain channels (Alduin) and stick to certain rules (no necromancy), but are otherwise free to practice as they please? Or are they more like the Jedi order, working as an organisation to uphold goodness and order in the world, and collaborating with the government but not serving it? Or are they like the Catholic church in medieval times, a super-state with its own political motives and power, with which the mundane rulers are often in a "riding the bear" relationship?
I don't see how one can argue it is a trade guild. There are mages running around who seem to have nothing to do with Alduin. Consider Father Morvin, Sister Thera? and Camerin of NR. Also recall the mage who led young Delfador at the start of DM; being too old to continue traveling, he started his own school.

The best model would be one that does not try to pigeonhole mages. Mages have a mystical strength that is innate, but without a teacher(s) they would develop only a few, weak powers. Having been taught, however, they are free to follow their own paths. Some seek the fellowships of other mages, others are loners. Most turn to good, some are attracted to evil.
rmj
Myrien

Post by Myrien »

rmj wrote:
I don't see how one can argue it is a trade guild. There are mages running around who seem to have nothing to do with Alduin. Consider Father Morvin, Sister Thera? and Camerin of NR. Also recall the mage who led young Delfador at the start of DM; being too old to continue traveling, he started his own school.

The best model would be one that does not try to pigeonhole mages. Mages have a mystical strength that is innate, but without a teacher(s) they would develop only a few, weak powers. Having been taught, however, they are free to follow their own paths. Some seek the fellowships of other mages, others are loners. Most turn to good, some are attracted to evil.
Perhaps the different schools of mages, e.g. the more clerical White Mages, who, if I understand the unit description right, wander about trying to "bring the light to the world" or Alduin's group of mages can be pictured a bit like a country split up into several states - the government for the whole country sets laws that apply for all, but the states can manage certain affairs themselves, e.g. the country's government decides over social benefit, justice and economy, which applies for all states and citizens - but the states can manage educational systems, their police and ecological policy by themselves? So a central order of magi makes rules for all practicing magic in Wesnoth, like "Necromancy is forbidden", but smaller groupings like the White Mages can make rules of their own ("Bring light to the world"; "Do not be selfish") as long as they obey the central laws?