Hotkeys confusion

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

Hotkeys confusion

Post by Simons Mith »

The hotkeys window contains two identical 'Play' and 'Stop' functions. From a quick browse of the source code, I can see that one's to stop replays, the other to stop Network... um, something. Not sure what. Network replays, presumably, but I'm not sure. It could be wesnothd for all I know.

Another problem with the hotkeys as set up is that they're sorted alphabetically by default. So Zoom In and Zoom Out stay together, but Default Zoom gets mixed up with the D's. I could tweak the labels: 'Zoom: In', 'Zoom: Out', 'Zoom: Default' would group them together again, but those labels aren't nearly as user-friendly. 'Zoom: Zoom In', 'Zoom: Zoom Out' and 'Zoom: Default Zoom' works but looks strange. Applying a naming convention like that throughout would make some of the other labels too long, too cryptic or both.

My current WIP on the hotkeys file, I've converted all the key names to initial caps and reworded about six slightly, but I'm up for suggestions on how to rename the key labels so that they group together better. Using categories such as Game:, Whiteboard:, Recruit:, Zoom: etc. to link related entries sort of works but I don't like the clutter it produces. I can produce a hotkey list here if needed, but to be honest I think it's easier to run the game in a window to see where the labels need more attention. If anyone who can explain the mystery entries ('Team 1'?), particularly those that don't have key bindings by default I'd be grateful.