Loyalists are loyal to whom?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lancer

Loyalists are loyal to whom?

Post by Lancer »

All minor, perhaps too minor to deserve a topic of its own, but it made me wonder..to the point it had to be clarified for me.

To what are the Loyalists loyal for? Assuming all factions are from the HttT timeperiod (because of the Rebels),
are they loyal to Queen Asheviere or the original/legitimate throne of Wesnoth, therefore being alianced with the Rebels?

While we're at it, Why is it called a Goblin Spearman whilst a Spearman refers to a man i.e Human.
A Goblin is not a Human, and isn't a male Goblin just called a male, not a man? If yes, the term Goblin Spearman is incorrect.
"Lancers are among the bravest and most feared riders in all of Wesnoth."
Hulavuta

Re: Loyalists are loyal to whom?

Post by Hulavuta »

I'm guessing they're just called Loyalists because they are part of the royal army, as opposed to the Outlaw human units, like Thug, Thief, etc.

And as another post said in the renaming factions thread, (I think it was turin?) the name Rebels doesn't make much sense either, because to rebel, you have to be under them. The Elves were never under Asheviere, she just wanted to kill them. For example, if Australians tried to overthrow the Australian government, they would be rebels, but if Canada wanted to overthrow the Australian government, it wouldn't be, since the Canadians were never under Australia.

And for the goblin one, I think Goblin contradicts man, and putting "Goblin SpearGoblin" would be redundant, and "Spear Goblin" would sound silly.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Spearman simply refers to a being using a spear to his/her advantage; being a word from English, it had been assumed it refered to humans, because no other creature on Earth uses the spear. Thus the term spearman in this context refers to anyone who uses the spear to his/her advantage.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

WINR............Muahahahahaaa

However, loyalists are probably loyal to the monarchy in general and not to any individual monarch. An army that is Tudor, Mediaeval, full of whatnots, wherefores or whatever would be bound by a vow to the concept of the crown, with some exceptions. Henry VIII demanded a personal oath of loyalty at one point, as part of the Reformation. If they went back on their oath, they wouldn't be a loyalist anymore (duh) and would join the rebel cause in the case of Asheviere.

And a Goblin Spearmale just sounds odd.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

The loyalist faction in MP are somewhat similar to the forces loyal to Asheviere in HtTT while the Rebel faction are similar to those who sided with Konrad in that campaing.

To be honest the names don't make much sense, but how else could you name them?, random human/elf/wose/mermen alliance and random other human/mermen alliance?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I think the names make perfect sense, according to the storyline.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
boru

Post by boru »

I've always thought of Loyalist as referring more to their lawful nature and ability to fight better in day and worse at night. Officially they are loyal to "the crown of Wesnoth," so whoever happens to be the crown, whether it's good King Haldric or evil Queen Asheviere, that's who they are loyal to.

EDIT: What if a female goblin uses a spear? What is she called?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Araja

Post by Araja »

That question will be answered as soon as you show us a female goblin. :P
boru

Post by boru »

Heh ... workin on it ... but I'm a writer not an artist so it won't be a visual show.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

And for the goblin one, I think Goblin contradicts man, and putting "Goblin SpearGoblin" would be redundant, and "Spear Goblin" would sound silly.
There are always solutions for that. I'm pretty sure the word Spearman can be changed to fit a non-Human-type Spear user, i.e

Goblin Spearwielder
Goblin Piercer
I've always thought of Loyalist as referring more to their lawful nature and ability to fight better in day and worse at night. Officially they are loyal to "the crown of Wesnoth," so whoever happens to be the crown, whether it's good King Haldric or evil Queen Asheviere, that's who they are loyal to.
But all factions are from the HttT timeperiod, when the throne of Wesnoth was reigned by a tyrannical Queen, following the story of Konrad to reclaim the throne of Wesnoth (of which he is the legitimate heir :P).

You've got Rebels, which rebel against the queen, so it is assumed all other factions are from that time period.
Therefore I'm not sure if the Loyalists are loyal to "any" throne, since in that time period the "loyalists" are loyal either to the betrayal and death of the King, therefore being against Queen Asheviere and fighting loyal for Konrad (2nd scenario in HttT gives a hint), or queen Asheviere with her "loyalist" army, since she is queen of Wesnoth, she controls the majority of Human forces/armies/loyalists. Loyalists just being a "universal" faction is somewhat acceptable too, it means that all sides had some "loyal" people in their arsenal.
"Lancers are among the bravest and most feared riders in all of Wesnoth."
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Queen Asheviere WAS the queen when she ruled. Though those who supported Konrad thought she usurped Garard II, but to everyone else, she succeeded him. Konrad was a 'traitor' in her eyes. Thus the 'Loyalists' supported Asheviere, the 'queen'.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Maybe change the 'L' to an 'R' to make them Royalists? :P
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

boru wrote:I've always thought of Loyalist as referring more to their lawful nature and ability to fight better in day and worse at night. Officially they are loyal to "the crown of Wesnoth," so whoever happens to be the crown, whether it's good King Haldric or evil Queen Asheviere, that's who they are loyal to.

EDIT: What if a female goblin uses a spear? What is she called?
Goblin Spearmaid? It certainly sounds better then "Goblin Spearwoman".
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
boru

Post by boru »

lol - actually that is quite good ..