"Villagers Revenge" Campaign Idea - Help Appreciated!

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Archos

"Villagers Revenge" Campaign Idea - Help Appreciated!

Post by Archos »

Caution: This storyline is LONG. I haved laid out the campaign scenario by scenario... reading the storyline is almost like reading a short story by itself. To save space, I have split the campaign into the individual scenarios.
================================================================
Story Script: "Villager's Revenge"

This campaign centers around a boy, Dirryn (race/unit type undecided, probably loyalist; faction from non-default era would be cool, but will probably be default if it makes the story simpler - suggestions welcome), his friend Eli, also a loyalist, and Brialdor, of the Knalgan Alliance (friend or enemy, depending on your choice.)
Introduction/Outline (sorta):
Scenario 1: "Exile" (dialogue only):
Scenario 2: "The Unlikely Revolt p.1":
Scenario 3: "The Great Escape" (inspired by the stealth scenario in Count Kromire):
Scenario 4: "The Refugee Encampment":
Scenario 5: " A Restless Sleep" (dialogue only):
Scenario 6: "Followed":
Scenario 7: "Stopped at the Doors":
Scenario 8: "The Rising of the Ants":
Scenario 9: "The Unlikely Revolt p.2":
Any and all help/critiques are appreciated! If you notice a problem with the storyline, please don't hesitate to point it out.
Last edited by Archos on July 8th, 2010, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monochromatic

Re: "Villagers Revenge" Campaign Idea - Help Appreciated!

Post by monochromatic »

One thing: just learn WML. It might look confusing right now, but it won't after you learn it. It's not that hard, I'd say in fact it would probably be easier to learn and code the campaign yourself than to find someone to code it for you. All those 'souls who are willing to take a small nooblet under their wings' also have a life, you know.

A good place to start is the big 'Create' at the top of the page.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

My usual advice to beginning campaign makers:
zookeeper wrote:A good approach is always to just download some existing add-on and start tinkering with it, changing whatever you can understand. Keep the WML reference open so you can check what each tag and key does. I suggest you get Dead Water from the add-on server, find out where its files went, and then just start changing things.

For example, you can just delete each scenario except the first one, and then change everything in the first one in whatever way you want. That way you at least have something which works right away and don't have to worry about understanding every part of the code immediately.
Archos

Post by Archos »

Y'know, I've been to the Create page tons of times, and I only just noticed the WML reference link. Thank you!

Zookeeper: I will do that! Thanks!

With that said... I guess I'll shift the focus more to critiquing the storyline then. :)
johndh

Post by johndh »

This is regarding the name "Dirryn". I'm personally against adding the letter 'y' to names to make them look cool/pseudo-Celtic, since the spelling suggests Celtic/Welsh phonetics, but usually aren't meant to be pronounced as such by the writers. In this case, it could be der-in, dire in, dear in, Da Rhine, da rune, or various other things, depending on how the player chooses to read it. I think it's fine to use the name, but I'd go with a more phonetically friendly spelling.

Note: I'm not an expert on Celtic phonetics, so some of those pronunciations were likely bogus, but my point remains that it's unclear.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

I pronounce Dirryn "Dee-(welsh letter Rh)-in".
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I pronounce it DIRR - in. True. Another name might be wise if we can only get it in writing, even though I like the name as such.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
boru

Post by boru »

Archos wrote:The argument soon grows heated and Dirryn, losing control of his temper, attacks one of the more outspoken of the older villagers. All are shocked by this act, including Dirryn himself, and eventually, the villagers decided to banish Dirryn and all who side with him from the village forever. With no home left to go to and nothing to lose, Dirryn and his friends decide to lead the battle against the warring parties and hope for the best.
If Dirryn is meant to be a hero, then some kind of reparation has to be made for this attack. If he's chaotic, I guess it can go on without any comment. Either way, I'm not sure why you chose this for starters. It seems to vanish, and in the end, all is forgiven.
Archos wrote:The attacking orcs are repelled as well, but take Dirryn and Eli as prisoners anyway. The duo are taken back to the orcish encampment the attackers came from, and are thrown into prison.
Hmm, maybe if the orcs think D&E are princes and they can get a big ransom, they might take them as prisoners, but I think standard orcish procedure is a little less humane than prison.
Archos wrote:Dirryn is still suspicious, but, with no proof that Brialdor was actually up to anything, he decides to put the issue to rest, and goes back to sleep.
I think you're really really tipping your hand here, so much so that you guarantee zero surprise by the revelations later on.
Archos wrote:When he returns, he attacks the cruel ruler of Cloudwater (a L3 Assassin). After a massive battle, the leader is overthrown, and Cloudwater Valley is freed.
Do we ever see this dude before he shows up to be the big boss in your finale? What's he been up to since the battle in part 2?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.