A Campaign Proposal

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Meeky

Re: A Campaign Proposal

Post by Meeky »

AI wrote:I thin een rage would be inaccessible, leaving, as the most likely state of mind for freshly risen, conscious undead, cold hatred.
That's actually much more like it -- 'cold' hatred. I mean, you'd probably have access to MOST of your old emotions, but they'd be more like echoes or memories of what you knew. So, it'd be hatred -- but without the shaking and lack of control. It'd just be pure, simple hate, like hate in a Hershey's bar.

... Odd example, but still: I'm effectively trying to say "Go with what AI said." The undead characters may have their emotions, but they'd be... cold. Perhaps 'stiff' is the word.

OH! One thing I forgot: While emotions might be faded, I don't think ideals would. A need for justice wouldn't fade, for example. A drive to do what one believes is right wouldn't. One could even have a love of art, of children, and a set of moral beliefs much like those they died with. However, the undead state would probably put a twist to all of these. It wouldn't necessarily have to be an evil twist, but perhaps a morbid, sad, or simply "I've no other purpose now" twist.

One last thing (I like 'last' things): Be careful when writing script for this campaign, if you use the idea of 'cold' emotions due to undeath and the hatred and anger, etcetera, of making the characters two dimensional. As a sucky amateur writer, I have to say that I hate it when ALL a character in a movie or book does is display a single emotion or a lack thereof. That's like painting pictures, but having all of your pictures based on a single emotion and a single character -- a single frame, effectively. That's no fun. We want to see that these are people, or the former shells of people, and not just something that mutters, "I hate my unlife" every step of the way.
IntuitionJo

Post by IntuitionJo »

While I do appreciate the discussion about the system and rules regarding the undead, essentially, I've started penning the script already.

Basically, the whole idea is that, because they're souls are attached to the body still, and are essentially uncorrupted by a necromancer, they can feel all the emotions that they would feel normally, minus a need to eat and whatnot.

The biggest emotion most of them would feel is probably shock, given the circumstances.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

Imagine them still having consience, and still having the feeling that they need to eat - only the placebo effect, there's no real hunger, but still vexing enough.
Now that would be a strange addition to a campaign.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.