Need a bit of help with Geography/Politics

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Stafford

Need a bit of help with Geography/Politics

Post by Stafford » March 9th, 2010, 8:08 am

I'm planning on starting a campaign, I have pretty much the characters/plot/everything done (Thanks whoever wrote that handy guide on campaign TODO's :D ) , but I'm having a _lot_ of trouble about where to settle my campaign.

It will be about a bunch of exiles/outlaws/mages living their own lives quietly, so it will be preferably somewhere away from military presence of any great force. (haven't set the time yet, but that isn't that important) It will help if the terrain is heavy forested or a swamp, too.

I was thinking about the lands near the Great River (away from the ford) in the wesnothian border or near the southern beaches. Not sure if the wesnothians have the manpower/resources to make patrols on those remote regions.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks already! :D

Hulavuta

Re: Need a bit of help with Geography/Politics

Post by Hulavuta » March 9th, 2010, 11:37 am

What kind of help do you need with Politics? I know a little I guess.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra

Stafford

Post by Stafford » March 9th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention. I'm that stupid... :augh:

Could there be a small lord somewhere in Wesnoth that demands high taxes and that his peasants work like animals, like a 'cruel lord'. But not something big, like a Duke or something. Something small, like the medieval rank of 'Knight'. (Small land, few people, etc.). Preferably away from any big cities and such.

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude » March 9th, 2010, 7:56 pm

That would make sense to me, as many medieval kingdoms had local lords who answered to the king. It seems this would be feasible for Wesnoth, even if WINR.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

Stafford

Post by Stafford » March 10th, 2010, 5:19 am

Thanks! By the time I'm speak-- writing this, I'm already struggling with WML. (It ain't that hard, but well, having some minor easily solved troubles)

I think I'll be posting a WIP storyboard soon here for some feedback.