Elven Love

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DEATH_is_undead

Re: Elven Love

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Icarusvogel wrote:"Yaaack! Ah mage and doo dree-huggers! Must dell master!
I'm not sure I want to add elves to the goblin's narrative, I'm undecided. My original plan was that he was following Morton, only to realize he was a Mage.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I think Goblins may be stupid, but not blind. The goblin would probably notice the elves sitting around in the landscape.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Well, I think this might be going too far. I mean, you want to keep it slangy without becoming incomprehensible, and baby talk is hard to understand in the written form imo (it's hard to understand anyway; why not just talk plain English to babies to speed up their grasp on the language?).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

Wait... do you mean to say that we should speak real Wesnothian/English to the goblin, so it learns?
Not the mage is saying "dree-huggers", but the goblin, so it is not the mage's fault that the goblin can't speak well.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Icarusvogel wrote:Wait... do you mean to say that we should speak real Wesnothian/English to the goblin, so it learns?
Nah, I was rambling off-topic. I mean that you shouldn't go overboard in the substitution of 'd' for other consonants or use too many 'oo' sounds, because it can become difficult to understand and/or sound more cute and amusing than vulgar and vicious.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I think that is actually what it is like. Poor goblins, always wanting to be terrifying, but - they are soooo adorable!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Icarusvogel wrote:Poor goblins, always wanting to be terrifying, but - they are soooo adorable!
Smell their breath and say that again. :P

In general I think goblins would use simple words, short sentences, and bad grammar. I also believe goblins shouldn't use slang, because that makes them seem like modern-day punks or something, which, imo, doesn't really fit the medieval style of Wesnoth very well (I said the same things about orcs not to long ago... :P ).
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I think the sentence uses bad articulation and curse words more.

Join the campaign for Free Mouthwash for Goblins!
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

artisticdude wrote:Well, I think this might be going too far. I mean, you want to keep it slangy without becoming incomprehensible, and baby talk is hard to understand in the written form imo (it's hard to understand anyway; why not just talk plain English to babies to speed up their grasp on the language?).
Sorry for my late response, but...

This is kind of my opinion on the matter. 'Dree' could be taken as 'Three', 'Tree', and maybe a few other things. The beginning messages are already long, and in my opinion, should take as little time to read one message as possible. (While keeping the story in place, of course.)
artisticdude wrote: In general I think goblins would use simple words, short sentences, and bad grammar. I also believe goblins shouldn't use slang, because that makes them seem like modern-day punks or something, which, imo, doesn't really fit the medieval style of Wesnoth very well.
A good point not thought of on my part.

I have given this plenty of thought, and I believe, if no more objections are in order, I will use very little pronunciation changes.

Anyways, in a day, I'm going to put the new messages in, courtesy of jaimeastorga2000.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.