The White Lich [Fan-Fic] (Chapter 18 - Preparing for Finale)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ducklord_time

Re: The White Lich [Fan-Fic] (Chapter 18 - Preparing for Fin

Post by ducklord_time »

Nitpicking:

1. In the game, creating undead is expensive. Here, I get the impression it costs nothing, given the right technique.

2. I get the impression almost the entire of necromancy as it exists by the time of TROW is being invented at once, long before. Is that unrealistic? I guess, since it's magic, that could be a stupid question.

3. The first necromancer, lost in wilderness, just happening to be found by an exiled prince seems so unlikely as to be stretching it, to me.
Jarkko

Post by Jarkko »

Thanks for the first truly negative feedback. No - don't think, I'm screwing around with this, I'm in fact truly appreciating this. :)
I attempt to provide you with reasonable answers.

1. In the game, creating undead is expensive. Here, I get the impression it costs nothing, given the right technique.
In fact, I dropped out the question with economy, because - it just isn't necessary and it might tie the story too much around the game itself - the only part where actual gold is presented, is the purchase of Maulson brothers, that incidentally cost 8 gold each. Instead I've presented a couple of story-wise alternatives, for example conjuring an undead servant wears the conjurer down a bit.
2. I get the impression almost the entire of necromancy as it exists by the time of TROW is being invented at once, long before. Is that unrealistic? I guess, since it's magic, that could be a stupid question.
I've been aiming to the point, that not everything was invented at once - eg. Zarek only invented the walking corpses by himself. In my point of view the majority of the undead army is constructed primarily from skeletons, WCs, dark adepts, sorcerors and necromancers plus a couple of converted fauna (such as bats). Ghouls, Necrophages and - basically the majority of the entire undead line isn't - and will never be - explicitly described in the book, just to keep up the image, that they were invented later. ;)
3. The first necromancer, lost in wilderness, just happening to be found by an exiled prince seems so unlikely as to be stretching it, to me.
Indeed, that was a device, I pondered with long, long time to see, if it was reasonable enough - that's why it also appears so late in the book. In the end I reached a conclusion, that the detail is - well - wicked, far-fetched and mostly unreasonable. In the end it was the least unlikely option, that would tie a lone healer from western border to the government of the Kingdom. My original plan was, that the Kingdom had to be destroyed, and in this case the destroyer had to come from "inside the Kingdom".
Last edited by Jarkko on April 23rd, 2011, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
| My Art Corner | The White Lich (Fan Fic) |
Translating Wesnoth into finnish
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Ha, I never noticed that the Maulson brother corpses cost 8 gold each until you just pointed it out. Another awesome game tie-in! I love this story soo much.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I spent the couple hours required to read through all this a couple days ago and, I must say, this is a very good story. :D Is maith liom. I like. I'll be waiting with baited breath for the ending. :whistle:

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

This story is excellent. Was only thinking of reading the first page, but I read through everything you've written so far. Can't wait for the end :)
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Is it going to be finished? Only one or two chapter left seems.