Pre-wesnoth History?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taerzik

Pre-wesnoth History?

Post by Taerzik »

I noticed a distinct lack of definition of history prior to the founding of Wesnoth. Is there a campaign or something semi-officicial that deals with the beginning of the world, etc.?

I'm asking because if there isn't already something, I might try developing a campaign to cover the time period. (For which i'll need any accepted official info regarding it.)

Thanks
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Pre-wesnoth History?

Post by Aethaeryn »

It's hard to do the beginning of the world when campaigns try to stay away from religion.

There's nothing before The Rise of Wesnoth other than what is hinted at in that campaign. There presumably was an entire Green Isle civilization, an even older history from the western continent (origin point of the Wesfolk (and humans in general) as well as the orcs). There is also over 6000 years of elvish peace before the founding of Wesnoth, so that's a whole lot of history.

I believe that there's a saying going around saying something along the lines of: There are holes in Wesnoth's plot the size of Europe.

EDIT: That being said, everything major missing is probably eventually going to be filled in, at least by semi-canon unofficial campaigns (although every time a campaign answers a question it probably raises ten more).
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Taerzik

Post by Taerzik »

Thanks Aethaeryn. Is there anywhere specific that I should look for data? (official and/or generally accepted) Anything concerning the time before Wesnoth will be relevant as I'll need to sculpt the beginning to be able to match up with determined events in the future.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Taerzik wrote:Thanks Aethaeryn. Is there anywhere specific that I should look for data? (official and/or generally accepted) Anything concerning the time before Wesnoth will be relevant as I'll need to sculpt the beginning to be able to match up with determined events in the future.
You'll probably want to see the Writer's forum in particular.

This thread actually could fit better there. The ideas forum is more for suggestions for new gameplay mechanics.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Taerzik

Post by Taerzik »

Will do. Wasn't really sure where to put it anyway.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Taerzik wrote:Will do. Wasn't really sure where to put it anyway.
Eh, it's probably better if a mod moves it than for you to duplicate threads, if you want it moved.

It's just that most of formulating canon and backstory has been in the writer's forum, and maybe this thread being there would prompt some suggestions as to the origins of Wesnoth's world, Irdya.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
melinath

Post by melinath »

Taerzik:
The state of Wesnoth lore is pretty deplorable. That is to say, there is lore, but it isn't properly codified. There is not much lore (that I know of) about the beginning of Wesnoth. Basically the stuff Aethaeryn already told you. There's some information in various places on the wiki, but again, not much about the beginning of the world. Most canon Pre-Wesnoth lore comes from TRoW. It's collected in this document. (Part of an attempt to codify canon lore.)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

You might need to consider that each faction (and possibly rifts within each one) will have different views on how the world came to be. However, you might be able to yet skirt around religion if you're creative enough. (It also depends on how you define religion, of course.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer