Lore Collection Project

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Lore Collection Project

Post by Turuk »

LBD wrote:Oh crud... I accidentaly deleted the sixth campaign file for Heir to the throne. Specificaly I accidentaly blanked then saved the seige of einlanfador. Could I get a clean coppy? I'm worried I might have damaged other files, though I figure this as unlikely
Here you go.
Attachments
06_The_Siege_of_Elensefar.cfg
(20.93 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
melinath

Post by melinath »

Delfador's Memoirs extraction complete.

LBD: Don't overdo it... you picked the two longest campaigns, which is great, but it is definitely a lot of work. Work on it when you can, a couple scenarios a day, and you'll get it done eventually.

Just in case anyone's interested, I thought I'd post my work process for extraction:
1. Make a link to the new extraction page in the Campaign Dialogue hub.
2. Make a basic skeleton of the scenario on the new extraction page: Death Messages, all the scenarios, unique descriptions, and unit names.
3. Check macros for extractable text.
4. Check for unique units.
5. Start in on the scenarios.

When I was working on extraction for TRoW, I noticed that the Table of Contents gets ridiculously long for a project like this. To make things easier, I added a feature to myNoth (see sig) to collapse the TOC, so that after you're done with the first sixteen scenarios, you still don't have to scroll down very far for the link to the seventeenth.

I suspect I may be the only person who transfers directly from the text files to the wiki. I would be interested to know how everyone else does it...?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

melinath wrote:I suspect I may be the only person who transfers directly from the text files to the wiki. I would be interested to know how everyone else does it...?
Something similar, but not quite. I just set up the skeleton on the wiki page from the main edit view, putting in all of the scenario numbers/names, setting up the different areas for death messages and unit names before and after, etc.

Then I'll select a scenario file, delete all of the code that has nothing of relevance in it, and just go down the file. As I take pieces out, I just edit each scenario spot individually (as after you make the list, each one has an edit link next to it) and so each one is done in a self-contained bubble in case I screw something up. I delete as I work through the scenario file, and leave parts that have to go outside of the current scenario spot I'm editing on the wiki (death messages, names, etc.) and then, once I'm done with the scenario, I go back out to the main view and edit those then. Rinse, repeat.

For the TOC, do you mean just having the ability to hide it? If you change the type of skin that you use, a number of them have that automatically. I use MonoBook and so it was already an option.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
melinath

Post by melinath »

Turuk wrote:For the TOC, do you mean just having the ability to hide it? If you change the type of skin that you use, a number of them have that automatically. I use MonoBook and so it was already an option.
No... I don't think that's what I mean. Here's what the TOC for TRoW looks like (the first page of it) by default:
TOC_Expanded.png
Here's what it looks like with myNoth:
TOC_contracted.png
LBD

Post by LBD »

Turuk wrote:
LBD wrote:Oh crud... I accidentaly deleted the sixth campaign file for Heir to the throne. Specificaly I accidentaly blanked then saved the seige of einlanfador. Could I get a clean coppy? I'm worried I might have damaged other files, though I figure this as unlikely
Here you go.
Thank you!

Back to work then.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

I'd like to extract Under the Burning Suns. I might do more later if I put my mind to it. :wink:
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
melinath

Post by melinath »

Noted. Thanks!
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Er... I think I'll do the lore extraction/analysis for the Dwarf and Elf unit descriptions, given that they're stable and no one is planning to change them any time soon. :) It should be an easier task than doing a campaign.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Noted. Thanks! As the first person doing descriptions, you get to choose where to put them and what format they should have.

Just a quick reminder to everyone: Please extract from unstable if you can, since there have been some changes to main character names in campaigns and such. If you're analyzing as well: when you're finished with analysis, post the results here as a pdf (you'll have to use compression of some sort because the forum won't allow the file type .pdf). Once we have a few, I'll make a collected zip archive and put it in the first post.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Dwarf unit descriptions: Text Extraction complete.

Text extraction for unit descs. is a most simple job. They're all present on the trunk units page anyway. All you have to do is collect them in one place for analysis.

Now on to the Elves extraction, and then I'll do the lore-digging for both.

Edit: Where is the mainline Runemaster used anyway? IIRC, the one in SoF had a magic hammer, no lightning bolts, and a Level 2 version which advanced from the Fighter. And the one in THoT is a unique example of a single character, and appears only one time anyway.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It strikes me that you're going to be duplicating a lot of information from the Units web pages in doing unit descriptions like this...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Well, you could consider the Units pages to be already 'extracted'. If melinath agrees, we can chuck the 'text extraction' part entirely and move straight on to analysis. :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd certainly say that's a better way to go.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skrim wrote:Well, you could consider the Units pages to be already 'extracted'. If melinath agrees, we can chuck the 'text extraction' part entirely and move straight on to analysis. :)
Agreed, the only descriptions I ever figured actually needed to be extracted on to a separate page were the campaign-specific units. They could all be put on one wiki page and broken down by campaign for easy reference.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Skrim: Your choice. The extraction is meant to make later analysis and comparison easier, since you don't have to flip between pages constantly, so I'd do it if it were me, but it's not as necessary for unit descriptions as for campaigns.

Turuk: Since there are so few campaign-specific units, I think the information they hold is more likely relevant to the specific campaign than it is to other campaign-specific units. Of course it'll all come together in the end anyway, but analysis of a particular time period is easier if all the information is in one place.