Journal of Lord General Vanith Lawson.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cloud
Art Contributor

Journal of Lord General Vanith Lawson.

Post by Cloud »

Foreward: Inspired in part by this thread, and a story I started, but didn't like where it was going well before them. I'm not trying to step on anyone's heels or toes for that matter. I'll hold my hands up now and admit I'm not the best at S&G, so feel free to point out anything that needs changes.

Hieringar 5th of the year 501 YW
As always I have begun a journal before a campaign, lest misfortune strike. Should such an event happen may the reader pass this journal to my wife, Kiera.
Kiera, should you read this, my heart cries for you. I have always loved you and your name was on my lips and burnt into my heart as I fell.
I do not expect it to go badly, but when one has fought as much as I, one knows war panders not to heroes. It is better prepared than unaware.
Orcs once again befoul our lands, at Galcadar. A large enough force to draw Royal attention and not without reason. Such a horde has not gathered in my time and if our foe human I would begin to suspect treachery from within. Blissfully Orcs are not known for their intellect and spend as much time quarrelling amongst themselves as they do raiding Wesnothian Lands, no Orc would let a human near enough to bribe them.
The summons of our King shall appear in a moment so I must end this trivial pursuit.

Hieringar 6th of the year 501 YW
Cursed rain and twice-cursed thieves. Those outlaws have too much to answer for, I may have to send a force to quell them once again. The lookouts received the normal punishment for their lack of discipline and the surprising number of volunteer watchmen to replace those incompetent fools should ensure against any further robbery.
Fortunately the thieves chose quantity over quality, else those lookouts would not have had heads to cry out with. We will resupply at Tath as best we can, for now we must cope with basic food and muddied beds.

Hieringar 7th of the year 501 YW
Tath's supplies will suffice for now, I fear if we take more food the villagers there will not survive the winter, something the Crown Prince seems not to understand. There has always been tension between us, but as the King trusts his son, so shall I. It would be treason to think otherwise.
The stratagem has been decided, as always I am too paranoid to write such details down, not that it has much bearing on this document. The Crown Prince was spotted a little later talking to some of his lot from the barracks. Some of the younger officers whom have been promoted above their time and have glorious notions of battle, such illusions died a long while back for us more sensible ‘oldies’ as they know us outside our hearing.
Then again if the King will allow his son to command at least half the force I should be glad that he is at least interested in the men who serve in it, though his ego doesn’t need more swelling. Shame he takes more after his mother than his father, not that I believe the rumours of rifts in their marriage, such petty gossip is better left to the housewives.
My thoughts return to my beautiful wife, I may be Lord General, but I have no thirst for power like other nobles do. Those who called me a fool for marrying for love over position bear it behind gritted smiles. Love cannot be forced and cannot be undone, for which I am glad. Kiera is the only person who can make me feel whole, even with the blood I bear on my hands.

Hierngar 8th of the year 501 YW
This shall be my last and shortest entry. We march to battle and victory too soon for more time to be spent. If this should be my final battle it shall be a glorious one.

Lord General Vanith Lawson was later slain defending the King.
His body was paraded through Weldyn, following the body of the King he fought vallantly to save.
The events of that day still remain a mystery to us all, a rumour was spread that it was Eldred’s doing, but it was quickly quashed by the royal family.
Lord General Vanith Lawson was laid to rest a hero.
He was a great man, and has my unyielding love, even in his death.
- Lady Kiera Lawson.

Afterword: I'm happy for this to be used in a way which will help further the Battle for Wesnoth project. I am not happy for it to be copied, stolen or in any way taken full credit for by another.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Hatter_Madigan

Re: Journal of Lord General Vanith Lawson.

Post by Hatter_Madigan »

I have not taken the time to look into this fully and in detail, but what I have skimmed through has seemed very good so far. I am hoping to read over it more later, because I have already liked what I have read so far.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Sounds good to me overall, just some nitpicking, ignore as you see fit:

1) For a "campaign" the time covered is quite short (4 days). Of course HE couldn't know this, but it would of course be more interesting, if the diary covered a wider period. You could use excerpts then to keep the total length handy.

2) The mixture of love/military topics in the texts seem unbalanced to me, especially because the diary seems originally to be something created for his wife. Why would she be interested in military details? Wouldn't she like to read more about his thoughts concerning home, his health, good advice for the bitter case or something? At the moment I think it would fit more if the diary was addressed to the Lords oldest son or so.

3) Obviously the diary was edited (and/or published) by his wife later on, at least that is what I understand, when I see the annotations at the end. Maybe you could give some hint on why and where/in which context this happened. Normally there's an introduction or afterword as kind of justification for publishing material of dead authors.

Oh, and of course this guy is just a way to good man for me. He seems to have no dark sides, he even is not corrupted through power like the other nobles. If you intentionally want to create some idol, then that's fine of course. To make it more realistic you could play around with that part a bit.

A nice read anyways. :)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Thanatos wrote:2) The mixture of love/military topics in the texts seem unbalanced to me, especially because the diary seems originally to be something created for his wife. Why would she be interested in military details? Wouldn't she like to read more about his thoughts concerning home, his health, good advice for the bitter case or something? At the moment I think it would fit more if the diary was addressed to the Lords oldest son or so.
Makes sense to me. He's a Lord General, he cannot stop thinking of military matters, and it's just a journal of his thoughts. He mentions sending it to her if he dies, knows then that she might read it and expresses his love for her. Goes into detail on what he's thinking about, what has happened, and then stream of consciousness back to his wife (King->King's son->Queen->Housewives->Thinks of his own wife).
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Thanatos wrote:Sounds good to me overall, just some nitpicking, ignore as you see fit:

1) For a "campaign" the time covered is quite short (4 days). Of course HE couldn't know this, but it would of course be more interesting, if the diary covered a wider period. You could use excerpts then to keep the total length handy.
I may change the wording there, and possbile add more detail into into it.
Thanatos wrote:2) The mixture of love/military topics in the texts seem unbalanced to me, especially because the diary seems originally to be something created for his wife. Why would she be interested in military details? Wouldn't she like to read more about his thoughts concerning home, his health, good advice for the bitter case or something? At the moment I think it would fit more if the diary was addressed to the Lords oldest son or so.
As Turuk pointed out. I might make him more personalble in it, but it's an outlet for his deepest thoughts. Never in a million years would he mention his thoughts about the Crown Prince.
Thanatos wrote:3) Obviously the diary was edited (and/or published) by his wife later on, at least that is what I understand, when I see the annotations at the end. Maybe you could give some hint on why and where/in which context this happened. Normally there's an introduction or afterword as kind of justification for publishing material of dead authors.
That would be a nice idea. I'll see about adding that in.
Thanatos wrote:Oh, and of course this guy is just a way to good man for me. He seems to have no dark sides, he even is not corrupted through power like the other nobles. If you intentionally want to create some idol, then that's fine of course. To make it more realistic you could play around with that part a bit.
He is his own man. While he appears good, it's more of a case he just doesn't want more power than he already has. As long as his wife lives he would be happy whatever position he had. Yes he appears good, but he's not perfect by any means.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
melinath

Post by melinath »

catmouse71 wrote:i think it is too long and far to far.
...what do you mean?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I think the spambot meant it was a spambot, if you were quick enough to check the signature before I dealt with it... ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
melinath

Post by melinath »

I did indeed, and commented on it, then deleted the comment because I didn't want to be rude :-p