Melinath's Descriptions: Drakes

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skrim

Re: Melinath's Descriptions: Drakes

Post by Skrim »

As for the descriptions, well, no comments here. They're fine IMO, and I have no suggestions that Turuk hasn't already mentioned.

And for the name changes, I don't think they're necessary. There are no logical flaws in the current names as such(unlike the one with the Gladiator), the only thing being the minor nitpick in that they're the 'wrong' way around.
melinath

Post by melinath »

New desc drafts will come later today... say, after breakfast lunch. For now, I just want to explain in more depth why I'd like to change the unit names.

It is not for reasons of fluff. That is true. So it isn't as important a change; I can write the descriptions now and, theoretically, change the names later. However: consider the pattern of naming in most races. Would you ever say "a Rider Elf"? An "Avenger Elf"? A "Dragonguard Dwarf"?

There are 17 drake units, 15 dwarf units, 22 elf units, 7 goblin units, 6 saurian units, 14 merpeople units, 3 nagas, 11 orcs, and 7 trolls. That's a total of 102 non-human non-undead units. 8 of them do not follow the pattern {race} {role within that race's society}. Of those eight, we can eliminate the Wolf Rider and Direwolf Rider; they don't include the race at all, consisting instead, like a human unit, of just the unit's role or rank. Then there's the Great Troll. I don't have a problem with seeing this as perhaps being a trollish title or whatever.

However, in a hierarchical society like the drakes, it bothers me that, of the 17 units, for 12 of them you can remove the word "Drake" and you're left with what I would assume is the rank: Burner, Glider, Arbiter, Warden, Flameheart. Then there are five left. Remove drake, and you get: Armageddon, Hurricane, Inferno, Fire, and Sky. The first three, though a bit over the top, could function as ranks. Why not cast them as such by putting the names "the right way around"?

Then the only question is what to do with Drake Fire and Drake Sky, since those obviously don't sound very good. My suggestion for the latter is Zephyr, which for me seems to lie between Glider and Hurricane. For Fire, I was at a loss. However, here fluff kicks in a bit after all: Flare fits much better as a unit with a strong fire attack than as a unit with leadership potential/abilities. Which leaves a hole in the leadership line... and for that hole, I have yet to find a name I'm completely satisfied with.
Last edited by melinath on August 4th, 2009, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

/me supports standardisation, anywhere & everywhere
Kenpachi

Post by Kenpachi »

Pyrarchia (roughly greek for fire leader) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pyro- http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-archy

Drake Pyrachia
melinath

Post by melinath »

It would be Pyrarch, analogous to monarch... hmm... not a bad idea. Could also go for the English version: Firelord, Flamelord. Those seem like a bit of a cop-out, though, next to Flameheart.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

I like the idea of a Flamelord --> Pyrarch line, personally.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
melinath

Post by melinath »

A new draft.
Current Names:
Proposed Names, Draft 2:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I still see no need for a name change. Standardisation for its own sake is pointless, and the nonstandard names add a little uniqueness, and still fit well. Not to mention that name changes, particularly when switching a name from one unit to another, are REALLY bloody awkward to do. It was only worthwhile on the Clasher line cos the initial names just plain didn't make sense with the fluff.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Araja

Post by Araja »

These new names seem like complexity for the sake of complexity.
The Clasher changes were probably needed but making sure the Drake comes first, that seems about as useful as changing the Loyalist Mage of Light to Light Mage because Mage comes second on all the other Loyalist mages.
Doesn't make them fit in, just makes them sound funny :wink:

The Mages were one of my many metaphors, I don't need a reply saying "yes, but this is a drake thread"
melinath

Post by melinath »

New Desc Drafts:
Glider: Current Version:
Glider: Draft 4:
Sky Drake: Current Version:
Sky Drake: Draft 1:
Hurricane Drake: Current Version:
Hurricane Drake: Draft 0.5:
Burner: Current Version:
Burner: Draft 1:
I consider the Glider line descs finished if nobody sees any terrible flaws.

In terms of the new unit names: I agree that they aren't strictly necessary. I also think that I have left out, or not emphasized, a second reason that I am proposing these changes. It's not just a matter of standardization. These name changes would increase the feel that the drakes have a hierarchical society with specific ranks.

For example, there is no way that the drakes would have a rank called "Drake Glider". Rather, the rank would be "Glider". "Drake" is a race that's added to the front to distinguish this unit from other Gliders. But "Sky Drake" doesn't really work as a rank either. "Zephyr" would work better. (Although I guess one could make the argument that it's similar to words like "mailman".)

TSI: If it would make you find this idea better, I could leave Drake Flare where it is and/or find some other replacement for "Fire Drake".
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

I'd like to throw my support for the new drake names. I particularly like 'Pyrarch'.

All the new descriptions seem fine as well, though I think in the descriptions for the fire drake line, it needs to be mentioned that with age and experience, the potency of their fire breathing skill rises.
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

As discussed on IRC, I think renaming the Gladiator to Slasher, a name formally held by the other branch of the Clasher line, is not the best option. I don't think this solution would be ideal as old documentation, forum posts, etc., would lead to confusion. Besides, Slasher is more intuitive of a name for the Drake with a giant blade weapon.

I instead propose the Drake Thrasher. In my opinion, the connotation, denotation, and rhyme are great for the Enforcer's underling.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

Aethaeryn wrote:As discussed on IRC, I think renaming the Gladiator to Slasher, a name formally held by the other branch of the Clasher line, is not the best option. I don't think this solution would be ideal as old documentation, forum posts, etc., would lead to confusion. Besides, Slasher is more intuitive of a name for the Drake with a giant blade weapon.

I instead propose the Drake Thrasher. In my opinion, the connotation, denotation, and rhyme are great for the Enforcer's underling.
Or...why not even Drake smasher? Considering they do use a mace...
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

chaoticwanderer wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:As discussed on IRC, I think renaming the Gladiator to Slasher, a name formally held by the other branch of the Clasher line, is not the best option. I don't think this solution would be ideal as old documentation, forum posts, etc., would lead to confusion. Besides, Slasher is more intuitive of a name for the Drake with a giant blade weapon.

Or...why not even Drake smasher? Considering they do use a mace...
Basher and smasher were on the rhyming dictionary's list (yes, I admit, I used one). Thrasher, however, is more fitting in the definition (pre-enforcer). Basher and smasher both imply impact-only use. (They'd make good troll names though.)
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
melinath

Post by melinath »

As stated on IRC, Thrasher seems fine to me. It doesn't clash with the fluff and would reduce confusion.

I'd also like to take this chance to encourage anyone with an opinion on how the burner and fighter lines should develop to state their lore ideas. Can't promise to take every suggestion, but it would be great to hear what people think.