Fixing the Weapon Names

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

melinath

Re: Fixing the Weapon Names

Post by melinath »

Jetrel wrote:These are sensible changes:
Skrim wrote:Merman Hoplite: Trident -> Spear or Pike

Merman Triton: Trident -> Halberd/Poleaxe thingy
I think that means everyone agrees that the hoplite is using a spear. Commit?

It's great that you've chosen to comment, Jetrel, because we were having some trouble with the Triton weapon. Perhaps you could clear it up? Just what is that supposed to be?
Attachments
triton.png
triton.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The longbow changes were made already, and I committed the longsword changes, as well as the spear and image for the Hoplite. I can change the Triton as well, though it seems to resemble a trident and their description claims that they are skilled in the use of the trident. That is an easy fix as well if necessary, but given that the level 1 and 2 both use tridents, wouldn't it make sense that at least one of the level 3's had one?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Araja

Post by Araja »

I always found the HI chain odd as they seem to use:
heavy-infantry-idle-4.png
heavy-infantry-idle-4.png (1.06 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Level 1: Clearly a Mace or Morningstar
shocktrooper-attack-5.png
shocktrooper-attack-5.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Level 2: Clearly a Flail
siegetrooper-defend-1.png
siegetrooper-defend-1.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
Level 3: Clearly a Mace or Morningstar

The sudden change is suprising.
I agree with the Triton's having Tridents, I remember that from the days when the only Merman units were Merman and Triton and it just seems to......work.
The modern Tritons weapons look ceremonial and complicated, They might work better if they had that annoying spearhead removed to leave them with a golden trident.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'm reasonably sure the difference in the HI line's weaponry is to facilitate easy visual distinction of the three levels of units - if they all had the same weapons as well as the same thick armour and tower shield, they'd be tough to tell apart at a glance.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Araja

Post by Araja »

The Iron Mauler has distinctive golden/bronze armor, the only problems would be between Heavy Infantry and Shock Trooper.

The thing is that I'm reasonably sure Heavy Infantry used to have smooth platemail, and only the Shock Troopers had spikes on their armour and studs on their shields, why were these added to the Heavy Infantry as well?
It seems to create a distinction problem for no reason, if they remained spike-less then they could be distinguished from Heavy Infantry and (replying to thespaceinvaders theory) there would be no need for them to be given the wrong weapon.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Araja wrote:The Iron Mauler has distinctive golden/bronze armor, the only problems would be between Heavy Infantry and Shock Trooper.

The thing is that I'm reasonably sure Heavy Infantry used to have smooth platemail, and only the Shock Troopers had spikes on their armour and studs on their shields, why were these added to the Heavy Infantry as well?
It seems to create a distinction problem for no reason, if they remained spike-less then they could be distinguished from Heavy Infantry and (replying to thespaceinvaders theory) there would be no need for them to be given the wrong weapon.
Oooh! My turn! The thing I'm reasonably sure of is that if you're suggesting an art change, then it shouldn't been done here. This thread is for fixing weapon descriptions to match the units. Writing Forum. Not Art. This is not to say that you don't have a point. However, even in 1.0, when the HI had smooth plate, the weapons were wonky. (attached)
The spikes are probably just creeping biggerism/creeping awesomerism. The smooth plate wasn't intimidating enough.

But this is getting off-topic. The weapon sprites are what they are. It's more work to change sprites than to change the words. It's not that unreasonable for different weapons to be used by different levels.
Attachments
1.0-heavyinfantry.png
1.0-heavyinfantry.png (610 Bytes) Viewed 4553 times
1.0-shocktrooper.png
1.0-shocktrooper.png (688 Bytes) Viewed 4553 times
1.0-siegetrooper.png
1.0-siegetrooper.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
Araja

Post by Araja »

I'm reasonably sure I wasn't intending to stay off-topic, I was defending my point of the Shock Troopers having the wrong weapon name.
I say the name is wrong, spaceinvader says maybe it's to tell them apart, so I reply with "why has that become a problem"
A temporary stay in off-topic land :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I can solve the off-topic for you. The names have been altered in trunk according to the level 1 and 3 having maces, the level 2 having a flail. There will be no art change.

Have a nice day. :)
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Araja

Post by Araja »

My original complaint was their Flail name being wrong, so that would be fine.

Thankyou, I will :)
melinath

Post by melinath »

The new enforcer sprite could use a weapon name change - trident instead of spear.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's worth bearing in mind that we will be going over the drakes at a later date (before 1.8 release) and renaming all the weapons which have changed (including all the swords to War Blades and War Talons) once we've got some attack icons for them. After talking about it with Jet, this will probably happen sometime at the end of the summer.

EDIT: I've spoken to jet, and he's OK'd War Blade as a name for the single blade wrist gauntlet things, and War Talon for the triple bladed versions (and any double bladed ones which might be made in future).
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I will put it into my list of things that need to be altered so that it does not slip between the cracks.