Weapon descriptions

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Weapon descriptions

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

In Bob's RPG Era there is an inventory system which allows you to examine various objects. I aim to have a short descriptions for all the possible weapons. jb wrote a batch of them for me a while ago, which I am very grateful for. I was wondering if anyone wanted to contribute any more? Criticism on the existing descriptions is welcome too.

Currently, I have these:
Melee Weapons

Sword
A standard blade, forged of good iron. The typical sword is of medium length and width. A very utilitarian weapon designed to kill, not to impress.
Elven Sword
Longer and thinner than a human blade, this lightweight sword is swift and deadly. It is often replete with intricate designs engraved on both the blade and hilt.
Quarterstaff
More than a simple walking stick, a quarterstaff is well sanded and stained. A very simple weapon that requires very little training.
Axe
This tool-turned weapon has come a long way from its roots as a peasant's make-shift weapon. Embraced by the Dwarves particularly, these axes do much more than chop wood.
Spear
The standard spear is a slender weapon consisting of a shaft, usually of wood, with a sharpened head. This is the perfect rank and file weapon of organized soldiers fighting in formation.
Mace
A simple weapon with a heavy head on a solid shaft used to bludgeon opponents. Requires little training.
Staff
The staff is effectively a long two-handed club. A simple weapon for those whose real powers lay elsewhere.
Elven Staff
The elven staff may be made from many kinds of wood, commonly ash, oak, hazel, or hawthorn. It may have metal spikes or caps at one or both ends, coupled with decorative runes.
Dagger
A very large knife, this weapon offers both both speed and concealment. It is often used by those who desire to appear unarmed, or those too poor to afford a real sword.
Hammer
A cumbersome yet potentially devastating weapon that owes its power to the sheer weight of its large stone head.
Holy Sword
This sword has been enchanted by mysterious arcane magic, many believe it to be Holy.

Ranged Weapons

Bow
The bow is used for hunting, and at times it is a weapon of war.
Elven Bow
Elves prefer a more slender bow than most. It is generally faster but packs less punch.
Crossbow
A bow mounted on a stock that shoots projectiles, the crossbow has both great power and accuracy.
Javelin
A polearm used as a hand-hurled missile weapon, the javelin is a typical weapon for light infantry.
Sling
A sling has a small pouch in the middle of two lengths of cord, used for hurling stones. It is very inexpensive, and easy to construct.
Throwing Knives
Most knives designed for throwing lack a formal handle, but are instead shaped from one piece of steel with no hilt.
Hatchet
The hatchet is a single-handed axe with a sharp blade used to cut and split wood - or heads.

Magic Weapons

Ice Rod
The Ice Rod of Asktoi was forged in the ice pools of the north, its shaft forever cold to the touch.
Salamander Blade
Forged in the fires of Draken, this enchanted blade radiates an immense heat.
I'd also like descriptions for:
Sabre (as in the Fencer's weapon)
Glaive
Barbed Spear (+2 damage)
Enchanted Spear (magic)
Lance (charge)
Fire Bow (deals fire damage)
Battle Axe (Like a normal axe, but does +2 damage)
'Smasher' (a heavy hammer)
'Slayer' (a sword with 'dread' ability)
'Thunder Axe' (A more powerful axe)
'Storm Bow' (+2 damage)
'Frost Bow' (deals cold damage)

And any others you can think of... Basically if someone writes a good description I'll end up using it.
Last edited by Bob_The_Mighty on July 7th, 2009, 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Weapon descriptions

Post by Turuk »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:'Smasher' (a heavy hammer)
"While a hammer may be used alone or with a shield, the sheer mass of a Smasher means that it can only be wielded effectively with two hands. Slower to hit than most weapons, a hit from the Smasher is not something from which most foes will recover."

Something like the above, simple, two sentences at best?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Yes, one long or two short sentences is about right.

Your smasher description is exactly the kind of thing I was after - however, I should have pointed out that the weapons in 'quotes' are special one-of-a-kind weapons. Thus, they should be referred to in the singular; and occasionally their history may be alluded to.
My current projects:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Noted, I will adjust accordingly.

Sabre (as in the Fencer's weapon)
While a regular sword is suitable enough for a competent swordsman, an expert fencer uses a sabre. Its light weight and curve allow for thrusts and cuts delivered with such speed that few opponents can hope to block them all.

Glaive
A long spear with a sword blade on the end, the glaive has proven effective against both mounted and dismounted enemies. In the hands of a trained individual, both the haft and blade will be employed to keep an enemy on the defensive.

Barbed Spear (+2 damage)
While most spears normally have slim and sharp blades at their tip, some will often have barbs affixed to their head. It makes removing the spear more difficult, but the barbs rip and tear at the enemy's flesh, causing fatal wounds.

Enchanted Spear (magic)
To hit with a spear, one must extend out in a quick thrust, and a miss will often make the wielder pay for his error. To combat this danger, some spears are enchanted with magic to guide them into enemy flesh.

Lance (charge)
On horseback, a spear used for thrusting is referred to as a lance. While it can be used to thrust at surrounding enemies, the lance proves most deadly in a charge, when it strikes with all the power of the horse's momentum.

Fire Bow (deals fire damage)
While bearing a similar appearance to an ordinary bow, there are miniature carvings in the surface of the wood detailing a roaring inferno. The magical effect of the artistry is apparent when an arrow is fired from the bow, as it bursts into flames as it speeds towards the target.

Battle Axe (Like a normal axe, but does +2 damage)
Much less utilitarian in appearance than a regular axe, a battle axe is designed solely for warfare. It possesses a lighter, narrower blade, suitable for the quick pace of combat and which cuts through limbs with ease.

'Storm Bow' (+2 damage)

More to come.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Good stuff!

However, for some reason I thought a glaive was type of fancy dagger.
My current projects:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

While not the best source, Wikipedia gives a good description of a glaive and notes the terminology confusion to which you are alluding.

EDIT: Rest of the descriptions. I'm not sure what to say for dread? It might be too much.

While a hammer may be used alone or with a shield, the sheer mass of a Smasher means that it can only be wielded effectively with two hands. Slower to hit than most weapons, the Smasher is imbued with a latent magic that causes it to hit with the force of a weapon ten times its size. Few enemies remain standing after such a blow, much less alive.

The Slayer proves that not all weapons are created with noble intentions. Forged in the dark of night, the blade was quenched in the terrified bodies of innocents. Their screaming faces were inscribed in the blade to harness the fear of those it had killed, so the blade would radiate a palpable aura of dread to afflict all who dared stand before it.

Similar to a battle axe, the Thunder Axe was forged by a Dwarven Runesmith, and the trapped potential of lightning dances across its surface. The runes glow white-hot with barely restrained power, and bolts of electricity arc from the axe blade to blast enemies into oblivion.

'Storm Bow' (+2 damage)
While bearing a similar appearance to an ordinary bow, this bow is covered with moving engravings that mimic a violent thunderstorm. Small traces of electricity wind around the wood and bowstring, and any enemy struck by arrows from this bow receive a massive jolt of electricity.

While bearing a similar appearance to an ordinary bow, the surface of this bow is covered in ice crystals. Radiating an icy chill, arrows fired from this bow are quickly covered in ice, freezing any enemy unlucky enough to be struck by one.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

'Smasher' is really rather naff. Call it a maul...

Other than that I think this is a good idea. Describing the weapons, getting the naming consistent, defining what units use what weapons, the tactics and so on - some of which should perhaps go on the wiki rather than into the game - would do such a lot to bring the world of Wesnoth alive.

I do advise against weapons 'quenched in the blood of virgins at full moon' and other such malarky because it just sets off my [censored] detector. It's verging on laughable, frankly. A sword's a sword, an axe is an axe. There is in fact ample scope to produce interesting weapon descriptions without having to get fantastical. Just picture the armoury that stores all this exotica: swords 'quenched in the blood of virgins' on rack 2, 'quenched in the blood of the innocent' in rack 3, demon-posessed long spears in the cradle over the door, ...

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Apparently you failed to read this thread. These descriptions are only for Bob's RPG Era, and certain weapons are indeed unique.
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Your smasher description is exactly the kind of thing I was after - however, I should have pointed out that the weapons in 'quotes' are special one-of-a-kind weapons.
As to your advice quenched in sarcasm, you are free to do as you see fit when you write descriptions to your tastes.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Oops, yes, apologies, I did overlook the post that said weapons with names in quotes are unique. For unique weapons you can be much more fanciful.

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For what it's worth, I share your sentiment about the whole "On the 3rd full moon of the year of the eagle, the blade was carried to the highest peak in the middle of a storm and blah...." often being way too overdone. I just wanted to add a slight touch of the fanciful in the limited description to note that the weapons should stand apart from a comparable normal weapon.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Turuk, I am really liking what you've come up with so far. I also found Simon's comments quite amusing. However, this is a fantasy game - so I think fantastical descriptions are fine (if they're not overdone).

I think 'Smasher' is an acceptable name for a big club - perhaps it was named by Trolls?

Anyway, I could also use descriptions for:

Customised Sling (I have no idea what makes it better than a usual one)
'Knives of Knal' (these are throwing knives, maybe they are fashioned from huge teeth?)
Shuriken Stars
Improved Mace (why is it improved? I don't know...)
Staff of Light (a melee weapon that improves the magician's arcane ranged attack)
Staff of Fire (a melee weapon that improves the magician's fire ranged attack)
Staff of Ice (a melee weapon that improves the magician's cold ranged attack)
Heavy Crossbow (+2 damage)
'Bolter' (crossbow with some kind of special ability)
Tomahawk (a slightly better version of the Dwarven hatchet)
Feathered Javelin (+10% chance to hit)
'Nipper' (A swift melee dagger with +1 to attacks)
My current projects:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I thought I might as well post the descriptions that I wrote for the armour types, and the various raw materials that you can collect.
Armour

Plate Armour
Plate armour is a heavy, durable set of interlocking metal sheets. Both its weight and cost mean it is rarely worn by any but seasoned warriors.
Chainmail
Often favoured by archers and Dwarves, a well-crafted shirt of interwoven iron rings provides superb defence against most weapons.
Studded Jerkin
This thick iron-studded jerkin is an ideal compromise for those seeking both mobility and protection on the battlefield.
Leather Tunic
This light, leather tunic provides only minimal protection, but grants the wearer far more mobility than other types of armour. It is thus worn only by those who rely on stealth and speed over brute force.
Cloak
Although woven from mere cloth, a magician's cloak is invested with a faint magical aura which serves to soften an assailant's blows.

Raw Materials

Clay
Clay's malleable nature can sometimes be harnessed by magicians intent on moulding forms and creating new life.
Slime
Swamp slime is a viscous and unusually sticky substance - thus it is often used to hasten or hinder the speed of the mind and body.
Gold Nugget
Gold is not an active ingredient in potions, yet magicians seek out these nuggets on account of the potency they bestow upon other materials.
Ulox Rock
The ulox rock is among the hardest subtances found in Wesnoth. Even mere contact with this semi-living stone is rumoured to harden the skin.
Huanti Leaves
Due to the extraordinary speed at which the huanti plant grows, it has, for many peoples, come to symbolise the eternal triumph of life and rebirth.
Yoll Tree Bark
The tree of knowledge some call it - since the folly and wisdom of the ages are said to be trapped within the rings of its ancient trunk.
Fang
The fangs of wild animals often retain traces of the creature's rabid venom.
Fungi
In many ways the Rotoi fungi is a paradox. Unlike other plants the fungi grows by decaying, somehow feeding from its own deterioration.
Scorpion Tail
Even days after its death, a scorpion's tail still retains a small reservoir of poison beneath its chitinous outer-skin.
Dragon Tail
There are very few who ever meet a Dragon, let alone stick around long enough to cut off its tail. For this reason, very little is known of the magical properties of its appendages.
Any thoughts?
My current projects:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: Turuk, I am really liking what you've come up with so far.
Good to hear. :) I will take a poke at those descriptions after some lunch, and see what I can come up with for you.

As for the armor and materials, I will look at them in further detail as well, though most of them seem alright to me.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Fungi
In many ways the Rotoi fungi is a paradox. Unlike other plants the fungi grows by decaying, somehow feeding from its own deterioration.
Fungi is plural, the singular is fungus.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Customised Sling (I have no idea what makes it better than a usual one)
*Any chance you could make it an Enchanted Sling, like the spear?*
Slings are a simple weapon, often a length of cord with a pouch in the center that can be used to launch everything from metal bullets to rocks from the ground. While employing magic on slings is rare, occasionally some are enchanted to further ensure their accuracy.

'Knives of Knal' (these are throwing knives, maybe they are fashioned from huge teeth?)
The city of Knal is famed for its arena, and the corpses of slain monsters are often recycled into weapons or armor for the gladiators. Fashioned from the teeth of a particularly large and vicious reptile, these knives seem to unerringly seek the nearest flesh when thrown.

Shuriken Stars
The Shuriken are proof that not all weapons need to be large to be deadly. Small and easily concealed, they will often be used by warriors to put an opponent off guard, resulting in his distraction and subsequent death.

Improved Mace (why is it improved? I don't know...)
Maces can be simple in construction, with just a wooden shaft and a metal head. The improved mace is made of the best materials that can be afforded, consisting of a steel flanged head mounted on a steel shaft and capable of taking as much punishment as it can deal.

Staff of Light (a melee weapon that improves the magician's arcane ranged attack)
Similar to a normal staff only in nature, the Staff of Light has a golden glow that does not dim even at night. When a mage wields the staff in combat, the magnitude of his magical attacks are increased.

Staff of Fire (a melee weapon that improves the magician's fire ranged attack)
Similar to a normal staff only in nature, the Staff of Fire is wrapped in coils of fire that flicker and flare of their own accord. In the hands of a mage, the fires will not harm his flesh, but will swell to enhance the fire he directs at his enemies.

Staff of Ice (a melee weapon that improves the magician's cold ranged attack)
Similar to a normal staff only in nature, the Staff of Ice is covered in glittering ice crystals. Chill to the touch, a mage who wields this staff in combat will find his cold attacks striking with the strength of a blizzard.

Heavy Crossbow (+2 damage)
Firing the same bolts as a regular crossbow, the heavy crossbow is more effective because it uses larger, stronger bows and strings. While it may take longer to reload, the bolts pack a more considerable punch and will do more damage, even at a greater range.

'Bolter' (crossbow with some kind of special ability)
*What sort of vague ability?*
Similar to a regular crossbow, the Bolter is a wonder of tinkering and engineering. Employing a unique loading mechanism, each firing cocks the crossbow again, letting the a box of bolts be mounted so that the user can fire repeatedly.

Tomahawk (a slightly better version of the Dwarven hatchet)
The Dwarves frequently employ small hand axes that they might throw in combat, and the Tomahawk is merely a version made with that purpose in mind. Still viable for day to day use, it is more balanced for throwing and made of sturdier materials.

Feathered Javelin (+10% chance to hit)
Javelins are slim, light spears used as throwing weapons. While feathering a javelin would conceivably have little effect on its flight, the psychological reassurance granted to the thrower has seen this javelin hit more consistently.

'Nipper' (A swift melee dagger with +1 to attacks)
Even among daggers, the Nipper is infamous for its swift nature. Striking so fast that is only a blur to the enemy, this dagger also sinks more easily in and out of flesh, thus always 'nipping' at its enemies.