The importance of writing in Wesnoth

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

The importance of writing in Wesnoth

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I'd like to say that I think this whole writer's sub-forum is a great idea. In the past it has sometimes felt like text has been overlooked in some corners of Wesnoth. In fact, I used to feel a bit like I was just a pedantic saddo for letting lines like "Grrr, lets kick there asses!" put me off campaigns altogether. Reading dodgy chat is one thing: being presented with it in a 'polished' scenario is another.

I suppose iffy literacy is a function of the internet itself (YouTube comments depress me quite a lot more than they should do), so I'm glad dialogue and descriptions are being addressed as worthwhile things in themselves, at least here.

Anyway, I thought it might be useful to discuss the importance of text/writing in a game context. I know a lot of people don't care that much about 'story' in Wesnoth scenarios, but I do – even though the interface and the game-play are not exactly text-friendly.

So, does it matter you?

One of the reasons this is on my mind is because I recently played Planescape Torment for the first time. It's an old game and the combat system is rubbish – yet it's still a brilliant and captivating adventure. That is purely due to the writing (even if there is perhaps too much of it).

I know the dialogue in the scenarios I've made are probably a bit patchy, but I've played many that have barely any story at all.

In terms of game-play, I don't like dialogue that is merely an advertisement for new stuff to kill. I also don't particularly like tough-guy action-movie quips put into the mouths of supposedly quixotic fantasy creatures – unless they're done with special panache. Modern-day expressions ruin the setting for me, and once that's broken Wesnoth is just a fancy game of chess.

What I do like is story and dialogue that enriches the world or heightens the excitement of the game. I want text that accompanies and informs my choices as a player - and doesn't leave me feeling like I'm mowing down a queue of hapless innocents.

It doesn't take much to make me happy: I just want to know why I am risking life and limb to wander through an otherwise inexplicably-populated dungeon...
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
PsychoticKittens

Re: The importance of writing in Wesnoth

Post by PsychoticKittens »

The entire reason I dislike campaigns is because the time period when I played them had a rather cheesy feel to it (in my opinion) so I just really can't get back into them anymore. So I can see what you're saying.

No offense to whoever wrote the storylines and such in 1.0/1.1 :)
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:In terms of game-play, I don't like dialogue that is merely an advertisement for new stuff to kill. I also don't particularly like tough-guy action-movie quips put into the mouths of supposedly quixotic fantasy creatures – unless they're done with special panache. Modern-day expressions ruin the setting for me, and once that's broken Wesnoth is just a fancy game of chess.
I completely agree with this statement, and I just want to add some words on those who embrace the other end of the spectrum. I have played a couple of games that make the dialogue/story so fanciful and contrived that they ruin the gameplay, or people overcomplicate what could be a much simpler interaction.

Improving the descriptions and dialogue should certainly help in making strides as another aspect that sets Wesnoth apart and above other games.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Hatter_Madigan

Post by Hatter_Madigan »

I am shocked at how closely this resembles my outlook on these things. I am new to actually playing campaigns, and found it a fun way of strategizing. I can't beleive how immuture the diologue in it sounds though. It sounds as though someone is trying too hard to bring drama in to a situation, and needless lines pop up about nothingness. and something bothers me about the realisticness of the game.. I doubt that when two people conversed they didn't yell all the way across the map at each other. and other random people on the map can just but in whenever they feel the need to. but anyway thanks for the post^_^
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hehe, the ability of Wesnothians to project their voices over miles of even the highest mountains is something I have kind of got used to now. I suppose it must be magik.

Some things like this can't be avoided due to the occasionally unrealistic nature (and scale) of the game. But even so... if they wanted to, scenario designers could ensure that conversations only happened when the speakers were close enough. Then again, this would perhaps be overly restrictive and not worth the coding hassle.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I think Bob_the_Mighty hit on the main reason that such dialogue limitations are often overlooked, as HAPMAs and so all dialogue would have to take place between units in hexes next to each other. Even that could possibly be too far apart. ;)

It's just the nature of the scale of the game.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
furioso

Post by furioso »

Turuk wrote:I think Bob_the_Mighty hit on the main reason that such dialogue limitations are often overlooked, as HAPMAs and so all dialogue would have to take place between units in hexes next to each other. Even that could possibly be too far apart. ;)

It's just the nature of the scale of the game.
Well, for the Orbivm campaigns Turin mostly wrote dialogue scenes with the units moving to nearby hexes in order to talk, or with messengers standing in for the leaders. It's something I don't think anyone else has used, but it's quite a nice alternative to long-distance shouting :P
Zerovirus wrote:Sprites for the Sprite God!
Aethaeryn wrote:What about dwarf dwarfs: dwarfs who have dwarfism?
melinath

Post by melinath »

furioso wrote: Well, for the Orbivm campaigns Turin mostly wrote dialogue scenes with the units moving to nearby hexes in order to talk, or with messengers standing in for the leaders. It's something I don't think anyone else has used, but it's quite a nice alternative to long-distance shouting :P
Indeed... where can I find those campaigns? I'm not familiar with them.

Finding the right balance between modern language and the over-exotic will be difficult. I'll be attempting a rewrite of TRoW's dialogue in late July or August that will aim to do so. There's some discussion of this issue in this thread.

EDIT:: I am postponing the TRoW rewrite until fall due to the fact that I'm rewriting drake descs.
Last edited by melinath on August 2nd, 2009, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

melinath wrote:Indeed... where can I find those campaigns? I'm not familiar with them.
They should all be on the add-on server for 1.6. Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Gali's Contract, Alfhelm the Wise, and Fall of Silvium.