Wesnoth Writing Standard

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

SouthernOracle

Re: Wesnoth Writing Standard

Post by SouthernOracle » July 16th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Not that anyone has asked, but I volunteer myself for some thematic poetry based on Wesnoth. I believe I'd be capable of such a task unless your asking for boat-loads of it. Also I've been helping ShadowMaster as proofreader/editor, so I can help out there once I'm finished with his campaign.

melinath

Post by melinath » July 17th, 2009, 7:05 pm

SouthernOracle wrote:Not that anyone has asked, but I volunteer myself for some thematic poetry based on Wesnoth. I believe I'd be capable of such a task unless your asking for boat-loads of it. Also I've been helping ShadowMaster as proofreader/editor, so I can help out there once I'm finished with his campaign.
I've been looking forward to you showing up in this forum! I must admit that I haven't read your new work for IftU, but just the fact that you took a task like that on is admirable. What exactly do you mean by thematic poetry, though? Something like epic sagas recounting the events of campaigns?

I think that would be great. Though I'm starting to wonder... now that we have a defined wesnothian phonetic system, will we also get/make a wesnothian language? How will this affect the poetry we write? i.e. if we're writing rhymed verse, it would need to rhyme in wesnothian, not English...

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk » July 17th, 2009, 7:24 pm

melinath wrote:I think that would be great. Though I'm starting to wonder... now that we have a defined wesnothian phonetic system, will we also get/make a wesnothian language? How will this affect the poetry we write? i.e. if we're writing rhymed verse, it would need to rhyme in wesnothian, not English...
Defining an entire language for Wesnoth might be a bit much, and if it is kept in English initially, it makes it easier for people to contribute, particularly since they are not hanging from the rafters now.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader » July 17th, 2009, 8:00 pm

There are bits of Wesnothian defined on the wiki somewhere. But writing a whole language is hugely ambitious. We could probably do it, but i think assuming the translation convention is far easier. It also allows the little in-jokes to work better, since if you can read the alphabet, you can get them, rather than having to learn a whole new language at the same time...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle » July 17th, 2009, 10:25 pm

I meant race-specific poetry but it could be based on any theme, I suppose. I must warn, however, that with something like this inspiration comes and goes. So I may not be churning out an epic piece in record time. You can count on me to finish though.