Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation and Capitalization

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation and Capitalization

Post by ancestral »

I've been going through the mainline scenarios as if with a fine-tooth comb, and found oodles of small mistakes. I've counted at least 55 so far just with the first 4 mainline campaigns. I'll see if I can go through the rest tonight.

Feel free to review the changes I proposed there. They're pretty straightforward and conservative fixes, mostly just consistency with capitalization. Just thought I'd give a heads up here since it seems appropriate.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/SpellingMistakes

(At some point I'd like to formally propose exact changes with the dashes and quotes and such — but not now, that will wait.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Simons Mith

Re: Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation and Capitalization

Post by Simons Mith »

I heartily endorse ... 95% of this product and/or service. The last 5%, I might quibble over. For example, 05_Orc_War.cfg 316:155: "There is, however, a small favor I will ask of you. That will constitute the last part of your training."

That usage of the word 'that' is not necessarily incorrect. The previous sentences demonstrates a legitimate usage of the word 'that' at the start of a new sentence. In any case, people - even fussy old necromancers - rarely speak with perfect grammar, so I would not object if this 'error' was kept in, because in my view it fits his character.

For pragmatic reasons, I also think ?! and !? are acceptable within dialogue for denoting a question in an incredulous tone of voice.

There may be one or two other points that could be argued either way, but on the whole I think that's a very good list of corrections to work from.

Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

I added what I see as a mistake I found playing through SoF. I'm not entirely sure of it, but the emphasis used is very strange. Perhaps it's from old WML that let you bold things? Or if not I wonder if it could be done?
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Simons Mith wrote:There may be one or two other points that could be argued either way, but on the whole I think that's a very good list of corrections to work from.
Thanks that means a lot. I honestly am still relatively new at this.

I learned a lesson recently. I addressed some small bugs involving many different files. I was kindly (I think) informed by another dev who did the work that I could have easily made the changes myself, especially since I took the time to highlight exactly where they were. It never occurred to me that I could have saved him a lot of time. And here too, I could even make these changes all at once and put it up if that would help.

On the other hand, I really didn't want to just make a whole host of changes if there were places where another writer/dev thought my suggestion was not needed, which I'm okay with (as you've said, Simons Mith, with say punctuation and such, which I'm not strongly adamant about).

Hopefully this method is working? I'm planning to go through the remainder of the campaigns. I could write what to change and then also post the files with the changes in place. At least if the other writers/devs disagree with only a few things, they can just change the few without having to make like 50 changes. I don't know. Maybe I'll do that also?

Again, I'm new at a lot of this. I'm in favor with whatever helps the greater good.

But absolutely thank you for the feedback.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Euthanatos93

Post by Euthanatos93 »

Simons Mith wrote: For pragmatic reasons, I also think ?! and !? are acceptable within dialogue for denoting a question in an incredulous tone of voice..
Use an interrobang.