Tasks for writers

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

esr
Retired Developer

Tasks for writers

Post by esr »

This sticky will be a list of current tasks for writers. We'll try to track whio is taking the lead on what task here, as well.

1. The wiki documentation is currently not very clear on which bits of $() syntax are supported in general WML, outside the FormulaAI. Probably the FormulaAI page needs to be split in half, with a page devoted specifically to describing $()-syntax. This is primarily a technical-writing and editing task. Developers to talk with include Dragonking and Sapient.

2. The game manual needs an overhaul. One area it's especially lacking is in describing the new gold carryover system. I've written on this in my Campaign Design HOWTO at http://www.catb.org/~esr/wesnoth/campai ... howto.html; the relevant developer is zookeeper, who designed the new gold carryover system.

3. Please see the thread "Proposed additions to manual"; also the wiki page
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ManualSuggestions (but that list is pretty random and some of it probably shouldn't be implemented). Simons Mith has volunteered to take this on.
Newell

Re: Tasks for writers

Post by Newell »

Q: How does one make improvements to the Game Manual?
dlp

Post by dlp »

Q: How does one make improvements to the Game Manual?
Please post suggestions at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p352020 after downloading and reading the new draft you'll find there.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

Are there any campaign writing tasks or similar coming up? The manual redraft seems to be progressing very well, and we seem to have more writers than things for them to do at the moment, but I'm fairly sure that's not for want of work.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

The best work/payoff ratio will probably arise from picking some piece of user-made content, contacting the maintainer, and with their agreement polishing up the dialogue/unit descriptions.

The other approach is to ask the translators; when you're studying another person's prose as closely as they do, you get a very good idea of where its strengths and weaknesses lie. I suppose I for one should start cultivating the habit of lurking in the translation forums.

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

During a conversation about why Wesnoth wouldn't make a very engaging MMORPG, people generally came to a consensus that Wesnoth could use more lore, detailed settings, and other tidbits to give it a very real feel.

To me, it would seem natural to see this in other media rather than just scenarios and campaigns.

Some successful universes (note: typically from commercial products) have had success releasing novels or even frequent short stories chronicling the events, people, and the times they take place in. All of this adds distinct flavor to the world, making it more believable and unique.

I think it would be incredible if we as a community could come up with companion reference material or other art. I think it could add volumes to the world of Irdya (the world Wesnoth takes place in). Someone in another subforum came up with a Wesnoth recipe. Imagine that: a Wesnoth cookbook! Wouldn't that be incredible?

Some possible things that could be done:
  • Write poetry or short stories about a particular character or event
  • Write a detailed history on a village, town, or city
  • Write a story, fairy tale, or folk song about a Wesnothian legend (historical or completely fictional!)
  • Draw a map of a town or city
  • Write a guide or treatise to a particular skill, service, or other subject, or a primary document (such as trade routes in the Northlands, history of the Wesnothian bowman, a fisherman's guide to Wesnoth, a soldier's diary during a time of war)
  • Compose a piece of artwork or music on a specific place or event, perhaps even as if it could have been done by someone living there!
These are just some ideas, and certainly this doesn't necessarily tailor to only writers. However, I feel there's a wealth of possibilities that we could contribute to that would add much flavor and realism to such a humble and largely undocumented world.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

That idea sounds awesome! Do you think we should focus on Mainline (which presumably needs quite a lot of vetting and discussion on here) or UMC? The idea of writing the poetry/short stories/region descriptions/profession histories especially appeals to me - I'm not very artistic, which seems to be what the other tasks require.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Hushpuppy

Post by Hushpuppy »

I think ancestral's posting above is right on. To add some flavor to Wesnoth, I wrote a short story. See "Escape from Aethenwood" in this forum.
-the Pupp
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

i think part of what's needed is to organize all the material we do have & make it more accessible for the average wesnoth player.

everything is buried in the forums here, or on the wiki, which is itself semi-buried & not terribly easy to access or navigate.

we have so many bits & pieces of things scattered around everywhere right now & the learning curve on finding it all is just too high.

setting aside the pov of people who engage creatively in making stuff for wesnoth, which is a separate consideration; the "end-user" of the game has little or no idea of what's out there, or how to find anything, beyond what's packaged "in-game".
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

ancestral wrote:During a conversation about why Wesnoth wouldn't make a very engaging MMORPG, people generally came to a consensus that Wesnoth could use more lore, detailed settings, and other tidbits to give it a very real feel.
I for one support this statement. It would be lovely to see some more in-depth lore and stories to bulk up the game somewhat. Poetry would also be nice, but It's not really one of my strong points, I never did pay much attention years back in class...

If you'd like some lore or stories to be written however, that is something I could assist you with. I love lore, and I love writing. So if you'd like someone to collaborate with you can surely count me in. :eng:
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
eamonsloane

Post by eamonsloane »

I agree with the above, however the majority end-user probably does not want to invest the time to read short stories and poetry from the world of the game unless it is inside the game itself. Most (i would guess) tend to relegate that sort of media to the realm of more-nerdy-than-they-want-to-be. Therefore only a few of the players actually get that depth, while the rest choose not to.

However, if you put that sort of thing inside the game itself—most likely in the form of easter-egg/optional-read material (like books you find in-game)—the contextual depth is provided a) to every player regardless of how in-denial they are about their nerdiness, and b) even if the player chooses not to read any of it (its mere presence in the game gives the player a sense of context, known or unknown).

Along those lines, I think one of the best things the game has in providing that sort of depth is the tips in the main menu. The fact that they are all attributed to important-sounding people who the player must assume exist(ed) somewhere in the world of the game gives a very large feel to the game right at the beginning (and provides good tips).

I would suggest, though, that the tips be re-written to sound more like actual quotes instead of mundane game-tips. For instance,
"'Elvish units move and fight well in forest. Dwarvish units move and fight well in hills mountains and caves.' —High Lord Kalenz, 470YW"
could be
"'People will fight more effectively in an environment that they understand—Elves among the trees, Dwarves among the rocks' —High Lord Kalenz, 470YW"
e7th04sh

Post by e7th04sh »

For some of those tips it might be hard to write them with less technical language but still make technical information conveyed and readable for player. Perhaps the technical infromation could be combined with creative phrase, like they are in MtG cards.

Here are my tries, mind english is not my primary language.

"At times my men were tired with bloodshed. Whenever i could, i gave them victory, rather than rest. They regained strength that won me battles and wars." -- Orcish Somebody Whatever :)

"During the wars in [forest region] army of [human invaders] sent out cavalry for scouting, like they were thaught back in [their homeland]. In forest area, this manuever was of no use. Needless to say, the elves encircled and defeated particular divisions and the entire operation ended in rout."

"When i recall the events of [some battle], i realize these days how essential was involvement of clerics from [Order of Whatever]. Their tremendous effort in helping the injured soldiers throughout the clash is the sole reason of our victory."

"We regularly encountered single bands of the fugitives left behind; too weak to survive the clash, but determined to slow down the pursuit. They would spread out blocking any way forward and we had to fight our way through. If our task was instead assigned to a unit of elusive experienced skirmishers, they could ignore the rearguard and continue the chase."
Duck-Horse

Post by Duck-Horse »

ancestral wrote:
Some possible things that could be done:
  • Write poetry or short stories about a particular character or event
  • Write a detailed history on a village, town, or city
  • Write a story, fairy tale, or folk song about a Wesnothian legend (historical or completely fictional!)
  • Draw a map of a town or city
  • Write a guide or treatise to a particular skill, service, or other subject, or a primary document (such as trade routes in the Northlands, history of the Wesnothian bowman, a fisherman's guide to Wesnoth, a soldier's diary during a time of war)
  • Compose a piece of artwork or music on a specific place or event, perhaps even as if it could have been done by someone living there!
These are just some ideas, and certainly this doesn't necessarily tailor to only writers. However, I feel there's a wealth of possibilities that we could contribute to that would add much flavor and realism to such a humble and largely undocumented world.

I have been playing on-and-off for several years, and would like to try my hand at writing some wesnothian-related stuff. Any of the above mentioned topics are fair game?
vodot

Post by vodot »

e7th04sh wrote:For some of those tips it might be hard to write them with less technical language but still make technical information conveyed and readable for player. Perhaps the technical infromation could be combined with creative phrase, like they are in MtG cards...
The term for this is flavor text.
Cswiftcomposer

Post by Cswiftcomposer »

I'm thinking there could be volumes of literary possibilities here. I'm currently working on a few novels of my own campaign storylines one of them being my original campaign "Rise of The Dragon Warrior". Also, if no one is able to I could also write a guide/history book of magic in Wesnoth.