ORC'ifying dialogue

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tribes55

ORC'ifying dialogue

Post by tribes55 »

I'm currently writing a scenario in which an Orcish mutiny occurs. At the start of the scenario, a group of Orcish mutineers attempt to communicate with the player's side, requesting aid in exchange for their services later on.

I want your takes on how to "Orc-ify" how these statements. (How they would be generally said, coming from a typical Orc)

Psstt--- come here!
Hear me out. We've come to discuss a proposition.
We're tired of that idiot (insert leader name) and his incompetency. We gain nothing from his ventures here.
If you help us, we'll help you in return. You'll be taking down (ORC LEADER NAME). His replacement will not be bothering you.
(if agreed) Upon your giving us the signal, we'll begin to assault (ORC LEADER'S NAME) castle.
These are some pretty generic lines, I know. There are some more I'd like to include, if people are interested in helping me out with this.
And please, feel free to exercise creative liberties. I know you all don't know the context of the story, so feel free to steer it in any direction you want. I'll either modify it or adopt it. :)

Thanks!
BTIsaac

Re: ORC'ifying dialogue

Post by BTIsaac »

Psst. Over here!
Listen, cuz u ain't gunna regret it.
We're tired of dat idiot ... 'E can't get anything dun and we' da unz who get da short end.
U scratch our back, 'n we scratch u's. U get rid of 'im, we leave u's alone.
Just give us da signal when u's ready, 'n we hit dat castle real good.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

BTIsaac wrote: July 24th, 2018, 6:21 am Psst. Over here!
Listen, cuz u ain't gunna regret it.
We're tired of dat idiot ... 'E can't get anything dun and we' da unz who get da short end.
U scratch our back, 'n we scratch u's. U get rid of 'im, we leave u's alone.
Just give us da signal when u's ready, 'n we hit dat castle real good.
Haha, these seems a bit more modern, punkish. Thanks for the feedback though!
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

IF you do something like this be sure to include a translator comment which has the plain language translation and explains the idea behind the vulgar form so your translators know what needs to be done.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

I think I've come to the realization through playing more mainline campaigns that Orcs are intelligent. They're just extremely aggressive.
MarkoLeSerbe

Post by MarkoLeSerbe »

Agressive? Sure they are, but intelligent? Hmmm I'm not so sure about that. Yes, some of them, typically the leaders can be smart tacticians and charismatic commanders, and there are also shamans who can't be denied intelligence, but does that mean Orcs in general are intelligent? I'd rather say not stupid, but they lack proper education way more than elves or humans, they're mostly pillagers or belligerent tribes after all.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

I don't think that most humans in Wesnoth receive a proper education. If you play main-line, most Orcs are just as eloquent as their human counterparts, if not more aggressive.

All evidence I have seen would indicate that Orcs are typically intelligent, and it's the Goblins and Trolls that are portrayed as morons.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Agreed. Though I would counter the fact that "most humans in Wesnoth receive a proper education" is not exactly accurate. Saying that only some humans get good education is more accurate. Mages contribute a lot to the educated part of the Wesnothian humans, should I note. As for orcs being dumb, I would say that they are more scared. Most orcish rulers rule by fear, so orcs have to act dumb or be suspected for treason; having ideas that would threaten the rule of a warlord. So yeah, in my opinion and from what I know, orcs are intelligent, though are mostly unable to show it. Goblins are a bit further down the intelligence line (a lot of them are quite dim) and trolls are down further even more.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

tribes55 wrote: August 1st, 2018, 1:56 pmAll evidence I have seen would indicate that Orcs are typically intelligent, and it's the Goblins and Trolls that are portrayed as morons.
Well the lore does say Goblins are just orcs with stunted development, and the trolls simply lack any of the factors that would motivate them to grow and develop so they're more lazy than inherently stupid. Do we even know how their Shamans use fire magic? I recall Ardonna in SoA being interested in how they do it.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Orcs are not stupid, they just value strength more than intelligence. Some goblins are "dim", but not all. The dumbest humanoids are ogres ("easily outsmarted"). And trolls are just a step up from ogres in intelligence("simple-minded", and "little evidence of tool use").
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Well. Seems like we have a verdict then. Reasonably smart orcs, reasonably and extremely smart humans, unintelligent trolls, unintelligent goblins, and plain stupid ogres. Yep. I agree with Sapient.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't orcs have the capabilities of being very smart but due to their warlike and agressive nature, they prefer to relish in war and constant tribal feuds?
RolfDhew

Post by RolfDhew »

Remember the orcs had shamans or wise men in the son of black eye campaign