More Races/Factions

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bitron
Developer

More Races/Factions

Post by Bitron »

I remember a discussion about that somewhere in the forums a while ago. Unfortunately I can't find it right now, otherwise I'd link it here.

To the topic.
Right now I am working on the vilkai faction, but they seem to be quite alone, so I was wondering what other factions and/or races could join them to extend the "Default + Faction" to an actual era.

So I am asking you: Are there any races mentioned in the wesnoth lore who don't have an own faction yet? And what factions/races would you like to see along with the vilkai?
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Re: More Races/Factions

Post by WTrawi »

Personally I think that every major and important factions are already done... but new units can be added always, especially in monsters and animals, where is no limit! :D
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Yeah, I thought about some monsters as well. Unfortunately, im terrible at drawing non-human sprites. ^^
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Then do human monsters. "The rise of wesnoth" has a lady vampire. I think one could expand on that.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Most of the major typical fantasy races have been covered - and there's a bevy of UMC factions that fill in the blanks if you want that. Name a major race you can think of and there's likely a solid UMC faction of them! Off the top of my head I know there's imps, vampires, minotaurs, youkai, elementals, djinn, demons, angels, and halflings.

I'm not that well versed in the major hallmarks of fantasy, so the only major omissions I've not seen much of are centaurs (and Greek myth beings in general, though many are scattered here and there), gnomes (which I've taken a liking to depicting as a Dwemer-esque lost civilization), and on the TES subject, something like the Khajiit.

Actually basing a group off them is interesting, they have enough variants to make something. There's two main strains of the typical cat-person build, one more lithe and agile, there's a type that looks more or less human, armored tiger warriors, huge tigers people actually ride on, and tiny housecats.
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I think if you want to draw a new humanoid faction then it should be cyclopses! :D
Cyclops sprites already exist, but they are in the style of the very beginning of Battle for Wesnoth.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

So, I decided to do create the Millenium Era (like 900 - 1100 YW), featuring altered versions of the default factions plus some others/new ones.
WTrawi wrote:I think if you want to draw a new humanoid faction then it should be cyclopses!
Mnh. :hmm: Maybe. I'll see how much time I have to rework those sprites, or create new ones.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Consider a faction with centaurs, would be something like doing franken with horses and humans XD

I had viewed interesting old faction designs... BUT... I'm not in the pc where I saved the links somewhere :/
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Well, yeah. Centaurs seem to be a good addition. I will concider them as third faction to the Millenium Era. For now, I have work to do with the new vampires.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Something like "Free Goblins" as in runaway goblins living without orcs,
a civilization of Trolls.
If map descriptions count there is supposed to be an race of demons Kah-Ruuk Oni at some point on Irdya.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Gyra_Solune wrote:and on the TES subject, something like the Khajiit.

Actually basing a group off them is interesting, they have enough variants to make something. There's two main strains of the typical cat-person build, one more lithe and agile, there's a type that looks more or less human, armored tiger warriors, huge tigers people actually ride on, and tiny housecats.
Actually, I vaguely remember someone making a cat person faction years ago. I don't remember who or what it was called, though. I just remember it was overpowered.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Therians is one faction that have heavy cat theme.

alien faction would be nice. We have some sprites here and there in the old Space Wesnoth and Galactic Empires Era, but no "faction" sized ones so to speak.

dinosaur faction would be neat (I think this exists.. not sure)

Transformer faction (units that actually transform XD)

Psychic faction etc etc.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Comuter_Player wrote:Transformer faction
Some of the vampire factions can transform into bats, does that count?^^
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Regarding transforming units, I seem to recall the Era of Four Moons had one - a sort of beastman whose form adapted to the terrain.

I have my doubts that vampires can be diverse enough to fill an entire faction (I think I've seen the vampire faction mentioned, and was not impressed).

I'd like to see a Quenoth Elves faction in MP with the new desert elf units created for 1.13. I think I've only seen a few factions floating around the addons server that I like, though. Aragwaithi was one of them, and I think there were a couple of others too.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Regarding transforming units, I seem to recall the Era of Four Moons had one - a sort of beastman whose form adapted to the terrain.

I have my doubts that vampires can be diverse enough to fill an entire faction (I think I've seen the vampire faction mentioned, and was not impressed).

I'd like to see a Quenoth Elves faction in MP with the new desert elf units created for 1.13. I think I've only seen a few factions floating around the addons server that I like, though. Aragwaithi was one of them, and I think there were a couple of others too.
The Vampire faction's okay, if a little weird. The one I'm familiar with doesn't feature transforming though - the big gimmick with the vampire units is simply that they have a drain backstab attack that's fairly weak normally, but can be helpful in ensuring survivability. They just have the Undead's vampire bats as recruitable units, is all.

With how the UtBS redesign is coming, the Quenoth would make for a solid faction totally different from the regular elves. They'd need two more units to get to the basic six - I think the Mermaid would be a good aquatic scout, and maybe the Scorpling would be a decent recruit. Aragwaithi's a similar concept, though they tend to be more like glass cannons.