Stranger in Wesnoth

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Stranger in Wesnoth

Postby iMakepeace » February 9th, 2016, 8:47 pm

My other three campaigns are The Elf, the Dwarf and the Mage; Add's Army; and Sleuth Sisters.

1. For those who have played all four campaigns, which did you like most, and why? Which did you like least, and why?
2. For any or all of the campaigns, how were the difficulty levels? Did they fit with your expectations?
3. Related to this, how did the campaigns work on Hard difficulty? I freely admit that I'm better at coding than playing, so I don't test on Hard.
4. Are there any characters who you would particularly like to see again in future campaigns? Any you wouldn't?
5. Is there anything in particular that I do too much of/don't do enough of?

I'm not going to request any comments on the art, because it is improving, I assure you. "Stranger in Wesnoth" was my first serious attempt at drawing (at the age of fifty-mumble), and I've got a great deal better since, to the point where next time I update SIW it will include redraws of the worst of the art. (Vlachen. And the scene with the mermaid. I was pleased with them at the time, but they make me cringe now.)

EDIT: and I have just updated it (21 February). Now neither you nor I will have to look at that washed-out portrait of Vlachen ever again!

Many thanks!
Stranger in Wesnoth - The Elf, the Dwarf and the Mage - Add's Army - Sleuth Sisters - Return of Sir Charles - Comrades in Arms - Thrugbad the Good
iMakepeace

Re: Stranger in Wesnoth

Postby taptap » August 4th, 2016, 12:28 pm

I played the first three scenarios on hard difficulty.

First is surprisingly hard as you can do little to protect a unit when bats focus it down. It gives a huge amount of carryover gold that messes up balance down the road. Proposal: Do not force me to protect all four elves. (Consistently the first scenario is the hardest in all your campaigns I have tried, in some it seems impossible even.) Completely remove carryover / early finish here, but give a sufficient amount of starting gold in second one.

Second was surprisingly hard with the amount of troops I recruited (recall loyals, and two of each type of elf) because the amount of respawning bats came as a surprise, so it took me a long time. I had >300 gold saved throughout the scenario and could have recruited many more units if I wished to do so. This would bring an even better result due to map control / upkeep / gold earned. Finished turn 30 of 35 with 1 loss (could have been more) and 135 kills (90 of them bats). Proposal: Give 1 instead of 4 loyals.

Third scenario started with 395 gold, of which I used 224 (for 5 recruits and 7 recalls). By turn 12 the fight against violet and a few trolls was basically won and the violet leader isolated, significant forces of the trolls were still capturing villages from the invading orc, but they had no chance to influence the outcome given that they arrived scattered in the following turns. The scenario lasted until turn 25 when I calmly moved up, but the too generous turn allowance is 40. (This leaves too much gold again and I start scenario 4 with 838 gold.) Proposal: Reduce turn number to 30.

The change to conveniently cave adept outlaw units is not really motivated, that the elves leave apart from those on the recall list is a nice touch, but if you saw some humans fighting during the third scenario instead of only orcs and trolls and invading orcs it would be more obvious where your human recruits come from.

How did you come up with the name of the hero?

Spoiler:
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
taptap
Forum Regular

Postby taptap » August 5th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Dwarven Caves seems impossible in any difficulty. (Only tried hardest, admittedly.) I would have won if defeating all enemy leaders would have been alternative winning condition, as is I finished 8 turns away. I sent one force south (with the leader), as the island dwarf tends to lose against the orcs, and the main force went against the drakes.

You have 30 turns and you don't know the exact location you have to reach, the scenario is completely cave terrain making movement very slow. Moving the hero along the sides around the center requires some 25 moves, you can possibly fail here even if no enemies were present. Straight through the center it requires less moves (around 15 I guess), but you face the bulk of enemy forces on your way. Your turn allowance is further limited by the fact that you can recruit only on turn 2 and probably need to stay one or two more turns for a sufficient amount of units. The bulk of your forces moves 2-3 tiles per turn (non-quick and quick poachers / thugs, others may be a bit faster), so even if you try to crush the drakes in a reckless wave attack, you have trouble to do so, because you are unable to push enough forces through the bottlenecks, if you proceed more carefully, you are bound to lose on time.

Proposal: (I am thinking about playing with a reduced amount of gold according to my earlier proposals, not the 800+ I have as is.) Make killing all enemy leaders an alternative victory. Add cave path and dark dirt tiles throughout the map, even a few tiles do wonders for overall mobility. Widen the bottleneck directly SE of the keep. Add some changes other than scorpion density between difficulties (small differences to allies / opponents, initial gold and income). 8,0 being open, but impassible as map edge looks weird. Give a few more turns in addition to added mobility.

Bugs: Scorpions currently spawn in walls, I guess this is a mistake.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
taptap
Forum Regular

Postby Foozinho » August 29th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I access these user made games?
Foozinho

Postby Kranix » August 29th, 2016, 9:09 pm

Foozinho wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I access these user made games?

Just click "Add-ons" (or the equivalent in your language) from the main menu. Search for what you want, install it, and it will be added to the relevant menu (campaigns in this case).

Also, please do not post the same post in several threads. Generally, these forums move slowly enough for your post to be seen without spamming.
Kranix

Return to Add-on Feedback