Return to Ruins

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ulfsark

Return to Ruins

Post by Ulfsark »

What difficulty level did you play on?

Did you find the campaign fun?

Did you beat the campaign?

Were any scenarios too easy too hard?

What can be added to the loyalist versus loyalist battles unit wise to make them more diverse?

Is the story too dark or too sad?

How can the maps be improved? Both visually and game play wise

Is the dialogue boring or cliche at any points?
Author of Return to Ruins Single Player Campaign
GangrN

Re: Return to Ruins

Post by GangrN »

What difficulty level did you play on?
Level moderate.

No. You almost can guess the end from the beginning

I made the whole campaign through with rogues, other units are useless (except horseriders)

you need some game balance, see below

What can be added to the loyalist versus loyalist battles unit wise to make them more diverse?
uuhhh... maybe they are too diverse.

The story is not consistent

make smaller maps.

Always (I'm sorry)

besides, your text needs some rewriting.

First, I am not that fluent in English but I am pretty sure that flames must be hungry rather than starving and that there is no floor in the forest, just a ground. :wink:
Second, Dialog at the beginning of Treacherous crossing is just nonsense: "you seem uneasy, what bothers you? -Uuh, nothing, I did not sleep well, I wonder why?". :annoyed:
Third, there is a consistency problem: the trapper should have seen riding wolves footprints, shouldn't he? Plus, if people of Trelldom tried to stop the orcs, the trapper should have seen some dead goblins or soldiers. Or Orcish arrows.

for glory
is too easy, just let Erik deal with the goblins while circling around the battlefield and kill the chiefs. Besides, I am sure Erik could have dealt with them alone.
About story consistency, it is quite startling that you can recruit spikemen, archers and rogues in addition to peasants. You would rather expect 0-level-only recruitment (with the addition of some special units with some background) and a leader with command or inspire ability.

the Hunt
is pointlessly difficult: too much wolves at a time regarding the amount of gold carried over from first scenario.
You should warn that there will be no day/night alternance during this scenario, because it has an impact on your recruiting.

Why is the leader not upgradable?

Treacherous Crossing
well, this is a HUGE river. It takes 13 turns to cross the map without opponent: 20 turns are too short while facing mermen.
On the other side, it is quite too easy if you juste lure the IA (drop some random units in the middle of the map then cross the river with the chief). Then the end dialog is quite funny (the units trapped on the other side saying "I cannot believed we crossed"... well, I don't either).

Trail of Tears
Huge map again. Easy with rogues. The river is a good idea, all enemy units went into the water!
Why is Nyland stuck on level 2?

Bloodthirst
Game balance: map is quite OK. Always a bit startling to see horsemen and rogues together, but OK.
Scenario consistency: Nobody can believe that one can be a cavalryman just by knowing how to handle a horse for farming.

Betrayal
why a map?
some dialog is missing
not difficult at all: Nyland cannot recruit...

Fullfillment
what a surprise, indeed! we knew since "trail of tears" that the leader was mad (end even a bit in treacherous crossing).
Regards,

GangrN
Ulfsark

Re: Return to Ruins

Post by Ulfsark »

GangrN wrote:What difficulty level did you play on?
Level moderate.

No. You almost can guess the end from the beginning

I made the whole campaign through with rogues, other units are useless (except horseriders)

you need some game balance, see below

uuhhh... maybe they are too diverse.

The story is not consistent

make smaller maps.

Always (I'm sorry)

besides, your text needs some rewriting.

First, I am not that fluent in English but I am pretty sure that flames must be hungry rather than starving and that there is no floor in the forest, just a ground. :wink:
Second, Dialog at the beginning of Treacherous crossing is just nonsense: "you seem uneasy, what bothers you? -Uuh, nothing, I did not sleep well, I wonder why?". :annoyed:
Third, there is a consistency problem: the trapper should have seen riding wolves footprints, shouldn't he? Plus, if people of Trelldom tried to stop the orcs, the trapper should have seen some dead goblins or soldiers. Or Orcish arrows.

for glory
is too easy, just let Erik deal with the goblins while circling around the battlefield and kill the chiefs. Besides, I am sure Erik could have dealt with them alone.
About story consistency, it is quite startling that you can recruit spikemen, archers and rogues in addition to peasants. You would rather expect 0-level-only recruitment (with the addition of some special units with some background) and a leader with command or inspire ability.

the Hunt
is pointlessly difficult: too much wolves at a time regarding the amount of gold carried over from first scenario.
You should warn that there will be no day/night alternance during this scenario, because it has an impact on your recruiting.

Why is the leader not upgradable?

Treacherous Crossing
well, this is a HUGE river. It takes 13 turns to cross the map without opponent: 20 turns are too short while facing mermen.
On the other side, it is quite too easy if you juste lure the IA (drop some random units in the middle of the map then cross the river with the chief). Then the end dialog is quite funny (the units trapped on the other side saying "I cannot believed we crossed"... well, I don't either).

Trail of Tears
Huge map again. Easy with rogues. The river is a good idea, all enemy units went into the water!
Why is Nyland stuck on level 2?

Bloodthirst
Game balance: map is quite OK. Always a bit startling to see horsemen and rogues together, but OK.
Scenario consistency: Nobody can believe that one can be a cavalryman just by knowing how to handle a horse for farming.

Betrayal
why a map?
some dialog is missing
not difficult at all: Nyland cannot recruit...

Fullfillment
what a surprise, indeed! we knew since "trail of tears" that the leader was mad (end even a bit in treacherous crossing).
Thank you very much for your feedback, I will try and revamp it when I have the time.

Thanks again for playing, I am glad I got some solid feedback so I can improve it.
-Ulfsark
Author of Return to Ruins Single Player Campaign