Survial Upgrade Mod

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Survial Upgrade Mod

Post by Ravana »

(1) What map version (number) did you play? If you added replay skip this question.

(2) How clear did you find the starting messages/objectives?

(3) How difficult did you find the map?

(4) How fun do you think the map is? (1-10)

(5) Any bugs, errors, suggestions or spelling mistakes?

If possible add replay.(especially for 3p map)
linuxminter

Re: Survial Upgrade Mod

Post by linuxminter »

I have played many of the survival maps and prefer them to other scenarios, because it is easier to manage one or a few units than many, and fast-paced games can be the result. I like upgrading units at the shop. However, I noticed that there is generally one unit that is optimal for survival scenarios.

[WARNING - SPOILER]
In the basic 3p Colloseum map, the best unit to play is Necrophage with feeding upgraded. A Necrophage with many hundreds of hit points can be the end result. After steadfast and regen are added, such a unit is nigh unstoppable when positioned on a mountain with maximized mountain defense in the frozen wastes. In the 0.3.4 SXCR scenarios, the best unit to play is White Mage, especially with other lawfuls. On the Advanced level, I won last night with a single White Mage working alone that killed all the bosses by turn 63.

I would like a way to win the scenario(s) by killing the last and final big boss. I would also like an easier way to upgrade for the sake of new players. Some do not seem to understand that one has to right-click when on the shop in order to enter. More intricate and complicated tactics from the AI would be welcome and may be possible through map design. Also, if the Ageless Era is selected, perhaps the AI should access nonstandard units as well.

All the 0.3.4 SXCR games are really good and a lot of fun. I like to play them in multiplayer mode on the network, but get too much lag at home. I can only play multiplayer when I'm at a different location. It is difficult to play these scenarios solo, because upgrading five units seems like a lot of overhead.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

This review doesnt seem to be about this addon, I remember this one without any shop tile. There is also no way my version of colosseum is basic and I havent uploaded any SX scenarios.
I disabled AI for my colosseum simply to make those turns happen faster.
I admit my target group isnt new players, I try to make AE even more interesting to play.
linuxminter

Post by linuxminter »

Ravana wrote:This review doesnt seem to be about this addon, I remember this one without any shop tile. There is also no way my version of colosseum is basic and I havent uploaded any SX scenarios.
I disabled AI for my colosseum simply to make those turns happen faster.
I admit my target group isnt new players, I try to make AE even more interesting to play.
I have played several of the "Survival" add-ons over the past few months. I had many of my favorites on my old system, but have been experiencing a lot of turnover lately where distros are concerned. After many reinstalls, I lost what I take to be your addon, which was unfortunate, because if it is the same one I think it is, I liked it.

I went hunting for yours today. Now tell me if I found the right one. In the first place, there's nothing matching "Survival" by Ravana that I can see. I did find the "SurvivalUpgrade" add-on and installed that. Now I have played "3p Colosseum" many times in the past, both in multiplayer and solo, up to turn 46 or so once, the sole survivor of a multiplayer game. But the credits are for "Laela, various," so I am still not sure this is the right one that you are referring to. Perhaps you can give me confirmation on that score before I babble on.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

As you can see from my signature my In Game Name is Laela.
linuxminter

Post by linuxminter »

Ravana wrote:As you can see from my signature my In Game Name is Laela.
Ah. Well, excellent. "3p Colosseum" from the "SurvivalUpgrade" add-on by "Laela, various" has been one of my favorite scenarios. I like it for one reason because we play vs. the AI, then each other, although I've never experienced that last part. Also, if someone quits, an elegant design feature is that their quitting doesn't really matter, as it doesn't impact gameplay for other players, who play in isolated capsules. In fact, their quitting speeds up gameplay, although it may be lonely playing all alone, if it comes to that.

The design of each capsule is good, and I feel it favors Elves, because the forest tiles are positioned just right for Woses. On the other hand, without that minimal number of forest tiles, elves might not have a chance at all. I like to station Wose in each of the tree tiles if possible and back them up with Shaman or Captains.
Ravana wrote:(1) What map version (number) did you play? If you added replay skip this question.
Version 1.2.4
Ravana wrote:(2) How clear did you find the starting messages/objectives?
Clear enough. I might have offered a better answer a couple months ago when I first started. I have never used the right-click unit advancement option. Maybe it is useful in the case of Necromancer or ArchMage. I thought the game prompts one for which path to take, but maybe not in this scenario. The objective, to survive, is clear.
Ravana wrote:(3) How difficult did you find the map?
In the beginning, due to the blitz by the AI, there is a small element of luck. If the two thieves aren't promptly killed, baddies can pile up in the beginning, preventing defensive positioning and claiming of villages and their income streams, and a player may lose one or more units and abandon hope. This has happened on more than one occasion. I think that the player should be allowed to move around for at least one turn before the fighting starts. Only one turn, because the capsule is small and one turn might be enough. More turns without any monsters might make new players wonder what is going on and why they should even bother with no one to fight.
Ravana wrote:(4) How fun do you think the map is? (1-10)
6. I liked it because it seemed well-balanced and well-suited for Wose. I always station two wose in the upper left, and behind them a spellcaster that needs protection. The smallness of the capsules means that fighting begins immediately as soon as monsters spawn and there is no time for anything but stationary posts. I do prefer larger maps. The map's replay value may be limited by the small size, although Isar's Cross isn't much bigger and seems to be wildly popular, but I think that is because it allows brief multiplayer games. A lot of people don't want to commit to playing with strangers for long games. I like long games though. I have moved on from this scenario and am currently playing the SXCR add-ons. The farthest I progress in "3p Colosseum lms" was turn 46 or so, when the openings had appeared and the monsters began streaming through. Eventually, my high-level units were overwhelmed. My human competitors had all died by that time, so I was getting an onslaught from two directions, which made winning nigh impossible.
Ravana wrote:(5) Any bugs, errors, suggestions or spelling mistakes?
See above. I did not encounter any bugs, other than the one that always happens in all scenarios in multiplayer, where one player lags or disconnects due to networking issues or limited bandwidth. I can't play Wesnoth in multiplayer at home due to my limited bandwidth which is only broadband about 350K per second. I think double that is needed for good multiplayer.
Ravana wrote:If possible add replay.(especially for 3p map)
If you mean "replay value," I've covered that above.

Hope this helps. Thank you for designing a great scenario that I've played often. I think it is a shame that no one replied to your post until now. Maybe they sent you a private message instead. At any rate, hopefully this thread might reignite interest and get people talking about it.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

thought the game prompts one for which path to take, but maybe not in this scenario.
Game asks only if you are in singleplayer OR it is your turn. This way you can choose what happens when level is when it is other sides turn.

I dont really expect anything about this specific addon, I just put 2 existing addons together and added minor new things. I dont actually remember why I did it, usually I dont upload so small changes. To make it clear, I did not design this scenario. I only started creating addons in 2012 and this survival is way older.