Orocia Random Mod

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Orocia Random Mod

Post by Ravana »

(1) What map version (number) did you play?

(2) What settings did you use(castle destruction/wave type/ageless etc)?

(3) How difficult did you find the map? (1-10)

(4) How clear did you find the starting messages/objectives?

(5) What were your major challenges in beating the map?

(6) How fun do you think the map is? (1-10)

(7) Any bugs, errors, suggestions or spelling mistakes?
Last edited by Ravana on August 3rd, 2012, 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MakG

Re: Orocia Random Mod

Post by MakG »

1. 3p version
2. The map was set to receive all kinds of upgrades except for defense, so it turned out to be very easy, because of the strike bonuses.
3. Everything is perfectly clear, just like in the original version.
4. Unfortunetly, the map turned out to be quite easy, except for the beginning, which can be kinda tricky sometimes. I can try it without strike bonus, but as far as I remember I have seen or even played one game without it and it wasn't very challenging either. I don't take "No upgrades" mode under consideration, because it doesn't sound like much fun unless played with XP era.
5. The map is much more fun than original due to it's randomness.

a) I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but once you get to the final waves (backstabbers, magical, skirmishers, chargers) and if someone doesn't manage to kill all the enemies before the next wave, the old units gain another special ability. For example if on Wave X there were units with charge and they survive till the Wave Y, they have charge and magical.
b) Again about the final waves. Example: if unit "Shadow" will appear on the wave of backstabbers, it will have double backstab ability. It doesn't affect anything, but looks funny in the unit's information panel.
c) Suggestion: the reason because the map is not very challenging is because that Ageless era has lots of weak units and they often appear on the waves. Maybe the waves shouldn't be completely random, but on each wave the script would pick the units from specified set of units. Although it probably would take some time to create such sets. If I am making any sense with this suggestion, then I offer my help in creating balanced sets.
d) The other thing which would increase difficulty a little bit - the 2nd and 3rd level units should either appear sooner, or simply the futher waves should contain only 2nd and 3rd level units.
e) It's just my opinion, but I find this design of the castle (http://i47.tinypic.com/s5acua.jpg) to be a little bit better, you get upgrades only on grass and only on your own side of the castle.

I've got a strange feeling I forgot about something, I wanted to study the replay of the game I played a few days ago, but the game says the replay file is corrupted, so I can't analyze it.

Anyway, thank you for creating the map, it brings the Orocia to the next level and is much more fun than original one. I will definetly play it again and get back with more feedback.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

1. 3p version
I meant there version number, found in objectives.
4. Unfortunetly, the map turned out to be quite easy, except for the beginning, which can be kinda tricky sometimes. I can try it without strike bonus, but as far as I remember I have seen or even played one game without it and it wasn't very challenging either. I don't take "No upgrades" mode under consideration, because it doesn't sound like much fun unless played with XP era.
I have only ever seen 1 game with this with "No upgrades", but as Necromonger added that I will keep it. XP mod is built in map.
a) I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but once you get to the final waves (backstabbers, magical, skirmishers, chargers) and if someone doesn't manage to kill all the enemies before the next wave, the old units gain another special ability. For example if on Wave X there were units with charge and they survive till the Wave Y, they have charge and magical.
There is no special filter for it now, but so far i have seen in games only last 3 waves survive long enough for it to matter, and that is why I removed last wave special (slow) in 4.0.2
b) Again about the final waves. Example: if unit "Shadow" will appear on the wave of backstabbers, it will have double backstab ability. It doesn't affect anything, but looks funny in the unit's information panel.
Agreed, if i add filter to avoid waves special overlapping then i will do this too.
c) Suggestion: the reason because the map is not very challenging is because that Ageless era has lots of weak units and they often appear on the waves. Maybe the waves shouldn't be completely random, but on each wave the script would pick the units from specified set of units. Although it probably would take some time to create such sets. If I am making any sense with this suggestion, then I offer my help in creating balanced sets.
I plan to organise ageless list some time, then I can add lists with only units with certain ability/special.
d) The other thing which would increase difficulty a little bit - the 2nd and 3rd level units should either appear sooner, or simply the futher waves should contain only 2nd and 3rd level units.
Might do it later, would like more opinions before.
e) It's just my opinion, but I find this design of the castle (http://i47.tinypic.com/s5acua.jpg) to be a little bit better, you get upgrades only on grass and only on your own side of the castle.
That is main reason this map exists. To allow player place healer(or 3) that get(s) upgrades, and also that when someone dies then others can get more upgrades to have chance to win.
I've got a strange feeling I forgot about something, I wanted to study the replay of the game I played a few days ago, but the game says the replay file is corrupted, so I can't analyze it.
Replay is corrupt because random list has ageless units with illegal type. Bug reported here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 50#p533369
Anyway, thank you for creating the map, it brings the Orocia to the next level and is much more fun than original one. I will definetly play it again and get back with more feedback.
Thanks for your feedback.
MakG

Post by MakG »

After playing a few times more, one thing got my attention. Why do units have 0 upkeep? It kinda doesn't make any sense, you can basically recruit new unit every 1-2 turns. If the players would spend all this gold, there would be no place for the units in and around the castle. Also because of the 0 upkeep, players don't have to even try to get the villages, either way they'll have a good income.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

You have point, i will comment that event and instead unlock default gold.
fede2013

Post by fede2013 »

I do not work the random wave. I get errors and does not work. are not enemies

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/errorfj.png/
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That means you have not right files for that unit, make sure you use latest ageless version.
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

Errors:
Turn 36: Skirmishers is bugged
bug.jpg
Custom map/scenario:
I modified the map and changed added weapon tents (like arsenal but different)
OrociaRandomMod.zip
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Orocia Ageless Random Mod is bugged :P, there is used unknow unit type: AE Mercenary Mercenary.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

After few weeks school year is over and i can once again work with this. Until then you can either remove or replace that id.

Edit: ^That unit exists, nothing wrong with that. Make sure you have latest ageless before trying.
jistanidiot

Post by jistanidiot »

Ravana wrote:(1) What map version (number) did you play?
4.2 by Ron
(4) How clear did you find the starting messages/objectives?
I chose make all side units get the same upgrade, but it clear gave them all different random ones. Basically what is showing is the opposite of what it does. Maybe rephrase so that it can be clear like Castle Destrution: ON
Something along the lines of Side Same Upgrade: YES
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

4.2 is not supported version, it was made by Ron not me, but I will change text as requested. Version number will remain 4.2a for this change, not going to change version number for text change only.
globnar

Post by globnar »

http://replays.wesnoth.org/1.10/2013072 ... _(8351).gz

Not sure where to report this. At the very end, green's leader dies and somehow the game kills my leader at the same time.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That version is 4.2 , not supported, it was uploaded by Ron. Going to try to find problem in that replay.
That replay shows oos since 2. turn, clearly that was impossible to play with network sides.
When i looked this replay then it ended with all 4 leaders alive.

This situation was caused by OOS.
globnar

Post by globnar »

Ravana wrote:That version is 4.2 , not supported, it was uploaded by Ron. Going to try to find problem in that replay.
That replay shows oos since 2. turn, clearly that was impossible to play with network sides.
When i looked this replay then it ended with all 4 leaders alive.

This situation was caused by OOS.
Oh that's weird. There were no reports of oos. And I will start playing with the other version by Leela. Thanks!