Fate of a Princess

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: Fate of a Princess

Post by SkyOne »

Akkarin345 wrote:
Spoiler:
You can also use Ameck/Alingwen's teleport at the point to move from the swamps to over the walls for the next battle against undead. But you are not just one to find a difficulty at the part. I usually lose one or two precious unit(s) by level=3 Nightgaunts (there are eight of them). So I have made them appear just on HARD difficulty on version 0.8.6 that I just have updated. On the EASY and NORMAL difficulty, they are level=2 Shadows currently. This change might help you at this time.:)
Akkarin345 wrote:
Spoiler:
Yes, it looks like too hard. But in fact, there won't be after as the game-play.:) As soon as you move Ameck/Alingwen to the next hex of Gulder, some of important messages show, then the scenario will end dramatically (just for me?). You might need a few drakes to support Ameck/Alingwen on the NORMAL difficulty, though. If you have a chaotic drake and a couple of Fire/Inferno Drakes (even Burners), or Warrior/Blademaster, they will support her as well. If not, recruiting some Drake Fighters on the keep, that you took over from Death Knight, before the first attack to Gulder, is supposed to be helpful enough.

Actually, this scenario still need a slight touch, we think...

Thanks again, Akkarin345.:)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
JoanRC

Post by JoanRC »

SkyOne wrote:You might need a few drakes to support Ameck/Alingwen on the NORMAL
I used a phalanx of fairy princesses and shydes for this. I had over recruited shamans in earlier scenarios and was beginning to regret it. But they came in handy in this scenario. I sent Shoko and a few shydes/princesses to knock off the shadows in the swamps on (easy level). This left me with all my high level units close to the breach point at the wall. Then I recruited another castle full of shamans to give extra support to the units fighting the undead.

By the time we all got to Gunter I had no high level drakes left (I'm a beginner, not very good at this yet), but I did have 5 or 6 flying fairies. I sent a low level drake to seize the teleport station, then sent in all my flying elves when Ameck teleported. The elves took care of the henchmen Gulder still had in his keep, and Ameck took care of Gulder.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

JoanRC wrote:
SkyOne wrote:You might need a few drakes to support Ameck/Alingwen on the NORMAL
I used a phalanx of fairy princesses and shydes for this. I had over recruited shamans in earlier scenarios and was beginning to regret it. But they came in handy in this scenario. I sent Shoko and a few shydes/princesses to knock off the shadows in the swamps on (easy level). This left me with all my high level units close to the breach point at the wall. Then I recruited another castle full of shamans to give extra support to the units fighting the undead.

By the time we all got to Gunter I had no high level drakes left (I'm a beginner, not very good at this yet), but I did have 5 or 6 flying fairies. I sent a low level drake to seize the teleport station, then sent in all my flying elves when Ameck teleported. The elves took care of the henchmen Gulder still had in his keep, and Ameck took care of Gulder.
Oh, I see. It is good to hear. Thank you for telling it.:)
I have never tested the way you played, but it sounds good enough to end up the scenario. Was it FoaP-version 0.8.6? (the version number is on the campaign description.) If they were shadows on the swamp area just as you said, it was 0.8.6. If they were Nightgaunts, it was 0.8.5 or before.

Thanks for playing, JoanRC (oh, a nice user-name :) ).
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
JoanRC

Post by JoanRC »

SkyOne wrote:I have never tested the way you played, but it sounds good enough to end up the scenario.
Yes, we don't normally think of the shamans as fighters; but, when you get a bunch of them ganging up on a lone unit, they can kill him just as dead as anyone else. And I rather enjoyed sending in a bunch of delicate females to knock off the big macho man.
SkyOne wrote:Was it FoaP-version 0.8.6? (the version number is on the campaign description.)
Yes, it was.
SkyOne wrote:Thanks for playing, JoanRC (oh, a nice user-name :) ).
You're welcome. Wesnoth is the first game of this type that I've ever played. Normally I play point and click adventure games like Myst. But I've become quite enchanted with Wesnoth and really enjoyed this campaign. Thanks for making it. :)
slyeyes

Post by slyeyes »

Cannon's description says "The length of this unit's weapon allows it to strike first in melee, even in defense"

Can this be changed?
mich
Translator

Post by mich »

This is probably caused by the use of the standard macro to insert in the unit description the effect of firststrike. This obviously isn't correct here, so this will be surely fixed in the new version of the campaign.
Thanks for reporting.
slyeyes

Post by slyeyes »

And now that i got further i would like to complain about scenarios 13 and 15. While i finished them without having to resort to desperate measures, i feel as they are, they are a ilttle luck-based and pushing.

The orcs in scenario 13 simply stand near the bridge and do absolutely nothing. Therefore the first time i played that scenario i spent most of my time killing them and micromanaging my level 0 units, only to discover i underrecruited and had no chance aganist the leader. The second time i spent all of my gold and had to survive the immense boredom of ferrying 20 units over the bridge, and finished at turn 29 out of 32 on normal with only Elanglois, an elvish fighter, a fencer, duelist and an outlaw aside from story-improtant units.

Something must be done to that scenario. Maybe it could be wholly remade, or have more patches of shallow water. The orcish leader's income could be reduced, because reaching his castle which is full of units, who all step outside only for castle get full of recruits again is not fun at all.
Or the turn limit could be increased up to 35, that way players will not have to worry a lot if they have a VERY bad stroke of luck.

Scenario 15 is quite pressing too, and the turn limit should be raised from 20 to 22. If anything went a little wrong, i would probably have finished at turn 21.

I will attach my replays of these missions to help you decide. The campaign version is 0.8.6, and my Battle of Wesnoth version is 1.8.5. They might complain they are out of sync though, but as far as i am aware, they are quite fine if you just ignore these warnings.

And, finally, i am wondering, why do the goblins sound as if they were dying when they are hit? :lol2:
Attachments
FoaP-Over_the_River_replay.gz
Mission 13
(53.53 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
FoaP-Dwarvish_Warden_replay.gz
Mission 15
(74.82 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

This seems like a wonderful campaign, but is this intended as a Intermediate or Expert campaign? Because it seems a little tough for an intermediate campaign... unless I'm still too new.

Also doesn't come up on the 1.9 add on server....
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hmmm... We actually plan to make the campaign more difficult as an expert level campaign on the final touch edition, 0.9.x, for BfW 1.10. But if it's not necessary, nothing is wrong (actually much better) keeping the current difficulty. What made me confuse was that: - the model of the difficulty on this campaign was TRoW. It was an intermediate level when I played on BfW 1.4.

But recently, it is an expert level. So maybe, this campaign has been an expert level...? I might edit the first page of one on Scenario & Campaign Dev forum from a hard intermediate level to an easy expert level (or something like it) later on. Still easier than NR or BMR, I think.

I guess there is not much definition to determine the level on BfW. But I think spir pointed it right:
spir on this thread wrote:I think there is an issue in Wesnoth on this point. Actually, campaign types (novice, normal, expert) and player-chosen difficulty level conflict: they both tell about difficulty, in fact. But one could well make a very hard level on a novice campaign, no? Or conversely make a very easy level on an expert campaign.
I guess an interesting challenge would be separate difficulty level from campaign "targets", as much as possible. For instance, use campaign targets to define the expected public and/or the actual intent of the author:
* novice --> pedagogy (teaches gameplay, game rules, unit types, tactics, tricks... more or less implicitely)
* companion --> standard gameplay (in all senses of "standard", meaning mostly no innovation)
* master --> innovation (exploration of variants of unit types, game rules, gameplay, world, etc)
Then, in a distinct dimension, difficulty allows making more or less easy / hard levels for every campaign. Indeed, campaign targets still indirectly tell about difficulty (novice ones tend to be easier, master ones tend to be harder); but they basically tell about another aspect of the campaign.

From this point of view, FoaP really lends toward a "master" level (like UtBS). Also, esp in the first part, it is rather challenging tactically. I thus think you should target the expert level.
slyeyes wrote:i am wondering, why do the goblins sound as if they were dying when they are hit?
That was from one on Era of Magic. I thought it was funnier, but I will change it on the next edition. :)
JoanRC wrote:I rather enjoyed sending in a bunch of delicate females to knock off the big macho man.
Ya~y! I am a male who has a female wife, but I love to hear it.:)
I prefer to use and create pretty/cute female units more than using strong man-fighters.

Anyway, we really appreciate for playing this campaign. ^_^
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

I meant if this is supposed to be an intermediate campaign (I was playing on intermediate).

And in fact making hard harder might be a clever idea, especially if this is an expert campaign or you strongly suspect vets to play it. No reason a campaign can't appeal to different levels of skill, that's why we have difficulty settings in the first place.

I wonder if I should try easy or wait till I'm better and try again on normal. How easy is easy? What setting did you primarily intend people to play on?

My only other complaint is that this campaign isn't on the 1.96 add on server..
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

WanderingHero wrote:I wonder if I should try easy or wait till I'm better and try again on normal. How easy is easy? What setting did you primarily intend people to play on?
The default is normal difficulty on this campaign. The easy difficulty is just a bit easier than the normal, like: - one more unit for side=1 and one less for the each enemy + slightly longer turns. Actually, all difficulties are not too much different each other as a result of my tests, unlike HttT. --> EDIT: Oh, actually, on scenario Over the River, Scally and Elanglois start with higher levels on the EASY difficulty. It may be better for the NORMAL also according to slyeyes's feedback.
WanderingHero wrote:My only other complaint is that this campaign isn't on the 1.96 add on server..
Sorry, it won't be 1.9 server. I mean: - when the 1.10 port opens (around 1.9.8 ), it is the time to convert this campaign to 1.9/1.10.
From my experience on the development version, I have to test the campaign at each time when a new version is released to correspond with it. That is actually an advantage of UMC, but the campaign is currently total 29 scenarios + 64 custom unit-type-files (those are planed to be less on 1.9/10 ). So I need to save my energy until the time comes (and it is a time to develop other campaigns for me).

However, this campaign is always my first priority in the community, except default works, because the idea of the story is from my real life, and kind of indicates it. Additionally, this campaign has been collaborated with mich and Simons Mith. So I keep working on it. (it is supposed to be playable on 1.9.8 or 1.9.9, anyway.)

Thanks for the attention, WanderingHero. :)
P.S. if you let me know where you are stuck, I can give you a tip. There is a trick on a few scenarios, like Super Mario Bros. (too old?)
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Well I finally beat it. I played on easy because, after many frustrating retrys on secnario 2, I finally got through and found scenario 3 a pain.

Most of easy is pretty easy (as expected), though their are some challenging levels, but I think your too generous with gold (i had 1000+ gold by the orc scenario and stockpiled over 2000 gold throughout the campaign that I barely used, except for the final level where i used hordes of Saurian meatsheilds).

On normal I think maybe you should tone down scenarios 2 and 3. On easy the scenarios where you fight with an ally against the southern orcs are way too easy (the ally will do most of the work , even), and I think you should either tone down the ally, or up the enemy.

The writing is very good, though I didn't like the pacing in part 2 as much as part 1, since it often just seemed like you were casually wondering off the next plot point. However by Wesnoth standards the writing is OUTSTANDING and I think you should try to make this a mainland campaign. I don't even think the hero's... origin is going to be that offensive. I mean who under 12 plays this game anyway?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

We appreciate for your playing and feedback, WanderingHero.
I just uploaded a new edition, 0.8.8, on the 1.8 server, and it improves some parts that you mentioned on this feedback (although the most of changes are to update the custom units on the edition).
WanderingHero wrote:Most of easy is pretty easy (as expected), though their are some challenging levels, but I think your too generous with gold (i had 1000+ gold by the orc scenario and stockpiled over 2000 gold throughout the campaign that I barely used, except for the final level where i used hordes of Saurian meatsheilds).
:shock: Over 2000 gold? You are definitely a player who should not play on the EASY. You can clear this campaign on the HARD difficulty. Under my test, I have never had 2000+ gold even on the EASY, but I can play through without a major trouble on the HARD difficulty.
WanderingHero wrote:On normal I think maybe you should tone down scenarios 2 and 3.
Yes. You must be right. The scenario 2 and 3 have been a bit more difficult than the most of the others since the the beginning. On the newest edition that I just uploaded, an armor has been added as a pickable item on the first scenario. Hopefully, it makes the 2nd and 3rd scenarios more enjoyable.
WanderingHero wrote:On easy the scenarios where you fight with an ally against the southern orcs are way too easy (the ally will do most of the work , even), and I think you should either tone down the ally, or up the enemy.
You are probably saying on Zluld's Last Stand especially, aren't you? Actually, adjusting enemy's income slightly had been necessary on the scenario (so I did it). In addition, Southern Archer (level=2 Goblin) was too weak. So on the new edition, I (hopefully) fixed the issues. (HP of Southern Archer; 32 --> 36, and its cost; 26 --> 24 )
WanderingHero wrote:The writing is very good, though I didn't like the pacing in part 2 as much as part 1, since it often just seemed like you were casually wondering off the next plot point. However by Wesnoth standards the writing is OUTSTANDING
Thank you so much.
Yeah, Simons Mith works hard and does a great job on the writing, including the custom unit descriptions. But yes, we probably need a little more words at the pre-game lines on some of each scenario of part-two. The campaign is getting better and we have spent a lot of times, but still have to do something on it.:)
WanderingHero wrote:I think you should try to make this a mainland campaign. I don't even think the hero's... origin is going to be that offensive. I mean who under 12 plays this game anyway?
A good feedback for me. ^_^ Thanks.
Spoiler:
Thank you, WanderingHero.:)
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

This is an awesome campaign (though I still haven't finished it yet), but I need to say this: did you by any chance remove "over the northern mountains" and replace it with "northerners" in the dwarfish warden chapter in a recent update? Please, please, PLEASE change it back! I can't name a single other campaign that uses that song, and if it weren't for FOAP, I'd never have even known about it! It's the best song in the game, hands down, and it fits the chapter great, especially with your new dwarf allies. PLEASE, put it back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwKNBZ_KOvE

Seriously, epicness, please put it back!
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

RaustBD wrote:This is an awesome campaign (though I still haven't finished it yet), but I need to say this: did you by any chance remove "over the northern mountains" and replace it with "northerners" in the dwarfish warden chapter in a recent update? Please, please, PLEASE change it back! I can't name a single other campaign that uses that song, and if it weren't for FOAP, I'd never have even known about it! It's the best song in the game, hands down, and it fits the chapter great, especially with your new dwarf allies. PLEASE, put it back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwKNBZ_KOvE

Seriously, epicness, please put it back!
Sorry for delaying to reply, RaustBD.
You are right. I replaced Northern Mountains to Northerners on the Dwarvish Warden scenario at the last update. I really appreciate your attention.:)

I like the Northern Mountains a lot also, and the title fits the scenario as well. But the music is up-tempo and really cool. In addition, its intro gives a huge impact to the players. I mean that Northern Mountains makes player's motivation raise up when it runs in the game. So I decided to use it at the special occasions. For example, when Gulcyn the Wizard shows to rescue Elvish Queen, and one of the music on Striking Back scenario on FoaP.

The new Northerner is very nice music, too, from my impression although it is not really an orcish theme anymore.

Anyway, I keep your opinion in my mind as well.
I am going to manage all music on FoaP again in the near future, by the way.

Thank you, RaustBD.:)